WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e60 CIC dead what next?

fnf01

Question

Hi all took my  2010 e60 535xi with 70K miles out of storage to enjoy this spring summer only to find the CIC is dead.  When getting the car out the battery was completely dead, I'm thinking now something is draining the battery as I've had to keep a charger on it every couple days since.  When we finally got it running the CIC would boot up the BMW letters would come on the screen for a few minutes then it would reset and try again.  I've been going for some drives during this shelter at home hoping something will just click and it will complete the boot up but no luck yet.  Looks like I need to get a new CIC unless someone has a different idea?  This also seems like its a stealershi...I mean dealership fix again unless someone knows another shop in southcentral WI or northern IL?  Dealership has quoted ~$2100 all in to install new CIC but their description of options doesn't breed a lot of confidence.  I can't even listen to the radio, the car turns on, clock is out, defaults to KM, the only sound I can get is a car door open or seat belt chime.  I have a gut feeling that the CD player has a disc stuck in it but I can't remember and there is no way I've found to check since no buttons work eject etc.  

Any help? 

5 answers to this question

5 hours ago, B C said:

Try:

Ignition on, engine off.

press and hold the volume knob for 15-20 seconds to reset the CIC and see how that works. Otherwise the physical replacement of the CIC will require coding it to get it working

No luck with that.

I did see something about taking out the CD changer fuse which can cause the CIC to have to reset and got the same advice from another forum.  So in I went and removed fuse f38, except wait I don't have a cd changer and there is no fuse in 38.  So I put one in, nothing.  I see that I don't have a fuse in the nav spot but I do have nav and it worked when CIC did, I also see I have a fuse for dvd but don't have that.  So (DO NOT RECOMMEND) I start pulling fuses and putting fusing and trying anything to get this stupid thing to work and BAM the wipers start going crazy, I can't turn them off they stay on even with the car completely off.  Battery warning lights, 4x4 arrow lights, ! arrow triangle, brake, etc etc etc lights on everywhere no way to stop the wipers.  I pull the wiper fuse f16 thats only way to stop this.  Replace fuses to what was before, put in f16 wipers start back up crazy, now I'm sweating.  Car on/off/on/off nothing is stopping this.  Finally by some minor miracle I do something and BAM no crazy wipers 4x4 arrow light I turn wheel to clear it and poof its back to how it was before CIC still no good but no crazy wipers no mini Vegas strip on the dash.  

And thats where I've left it.  CIC still seems to be toasted, my battery is being drained, I can hear some fan somewhere on constantly even with everything off, and on start up it sounds like CD is trying to eject every time but nothing.  I've had car on charger since I took it out so now I'm gonna disconnect the negative terminal and maybe with it off for a while it trips something.

I'm gonna call around to shops Monday to see if they can 1. do the CIC swap and code it and 2. how much is it.

In mean time anyone else with ideas to try?  Shops to call? Other suggestions?

9 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Personally I’d look into some of the aftermarket systems that could bypass or replace the stock system adding in Car Play/Andriod Auto for way less. Odds are the CIC could fail again down the road. 

I'm not very familiar with the e60 just moved on from and e30.  I did do a brief search but it didn't really seem like there was any options to replace the CIC since it does all the engine/car monitoring stuff as well as radio, nav, phone, etc.  Any examples?