WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Video Editing

REKIII

I've succumb to the fact that I'm an old man.  I get it, but I try.  I look to you young pups to help me out.

I want to edit some videos, cut, insert other videos/pics, etc.  Real simple.  I made the few vids I want to play with in portrait mode (yeah, boomer, I get it).  I down loaded Blender (free and powerful).  Holy shit, way too complicated.  It took 2 hours of video tutorial just to figure out how to make the video portrait on the editor, and it wasn't even a true fix, just a work around.  So, I need something a lot simpler to goof around with.  Preferably on PC, not mobile and definitely not Mac/Apple.

Any advice?

5 minutes ago, REKIII said:

I've succumb to the fact that I'm an old man.  I get it, but I try.  I look to you young pups to help me out.

I want to edit some videos, cut, insert other videos/pics, etc.  Real simple.  I made the few vids I want to play with in portrait mode (yeah, boomer, I get it).  I down loaded Blender (free and powerful).  Holy shit, way too complicated.  It took 2 hours of video tutorial just to figure out how to make the video portrait on the editor, and it wasn't even a true fix, just a work around.  So, I need something a lot simpler to goof around with.  Preferably on PC, not mobile and definitely not Mac/Apple.

Any advice?

Are you lucky enough that your version of Windows 10 came with the now defunct Movie Maker? A monkey could make a video with it. But it has basically no features and will look like a monkey made it.

Windows replaced Movie Maker with another built-in video editor. I havent used it but it may be what you are looking for. Its sort of hidden, so this link will help you find it:

https://www.howtogeek.com/355524/how-to-use-windows-10s-hidden-video-editor/

3 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

Are you lucky enough that your version of Windows 10 came with the now defunct Movie Maker? A monkey could make a video with it. But it has basically no features and will look like a monkey made it.

Windows replaced Movie Maker with another built-in video editor. I havent used it but it may be what you are looking for. Its sort of hidden, so this link will help you find it:

https://www.howtogeek.com/355524/how-to-use-windows-10s-hidden-video-editor/

Wow.  That is pretty powerful.  Ima gonna see if I get get it to do what I want.  Thanks!

Due to rising usage, I seem to remember seeing that YouTube has been posting only in standard p levels. Also depending on your internet speeds upload times at 1080p can take a while. Since I've had to switch to online instruction for my students and my home wifi is pretty slow I've been exporting my videos at 420p. Nothing high end, just off the cuff Quicktime videos since it's only me talking and supplementing class materials I've already provided. Did a few on Youtube and since then have posted the rest per what the university wanted on Stream/Teams. 

For race videos the past few years I was using Moviemaker. I fall into what Dan accurately described as the monkey-level of production skill sets and yep works fine for my needs. 😁

Watching the videos that Jake and other folks have put together is impressive.    

10+ years ago I was using Moviemaker to make shitty BMX videos that were eventually removed from YouTube because apparently I was in violation of copyright by using Parkway Drive songs without permission. I thought just mentioning the songs and artist would be good enough. I haven't touched Moviemaker since but it was stupid easy to screw around with, especially for a free service.  Now I use whatever came with my GoPro for editing family videos and track videos and for me it's not as friendly as Moviemaker was.  I'll have to see if my new PC has that...

On 4/8/2020 at 3:29 PM, REKIII said:

Any advice?

Your problem with this is that Blender is a 3D animation program more so than a video editor. Kind of like using After Effects to cut and space a video.

I agree with @suspenceful, Premier is a good program for advanced and basic editing, but it does cost money. If you are only looking to edit a couple videos, I think you can do a trial of the creative suite. Or, I think it's only like 10 bucks a month and you can get access to the creative suite and then just cancel when you are done.

It will also allow you to export at the resolution you want. You won't need two hour video tutorials on how to use it, but you might want to search for videos specific to what you are having issues with.

Edit: https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere.html?promoid=19SCDPSM&mv=other

You can trial for 7 days for free and then it's $20 a month.