WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HipMF said:

Dane county blowin up. 😬

yXxHnTD.png

How does this compare to the number of tests being done?  It looks alarming but it needs to be overlaid with how many tests are being done, otherwise it is useless.  Also death numbers would be helpful.  According to DHS it does not appear that deaths in Dane county are rising at all thankfully.  DHS

• 3 weeks later...

Day 1 of Dane county mask mandate. I started wearing a mask to work 2 weeks ago, but have been taking it of when I'm in my cube. Keeping it on now. We've got a couple chin-maskers and nose-out people, and at least one person that's abstaining completely, but for the most part people where I work seems to have gotten on board, at least for now. Hopefully, we can tamp this thing down...

wRVpUdG.jpg

Masks have been mandatory at my work since May. I made all the signage and am part of the enforcement.

I now have a family member (Uncle) with the virus. Former smoker, admitted to the ICU but no ventilator yet. Things are hopeful for now

7 minutes ago, B C said:

Masks have been mandatory at my work since May. I made all the signage and am part of the enforcement.

I now have a family member (Uncle) with the virus. Former smoker, admitted to the ICU but no ventilator yet. Things are hopeful for now

Good to hear your employer was more pro-active than mine and that your uncle is doing okay so far.

Thankfully, it does seem like we're learning better ways to treat people and deaths have gone down, but unfortunately there are still a lot of "known unknowns" and "unknown unknowns" when it comes to long-term recovery. Even asymptomatic people apparently have measurable impairment after getting it. Seems better to avoid it if at all possible.

12 hours ago, B C said:

Right, the stories about possible long term effects are unsettling

There was an article on CNN of a guy who had it and months later he said he is still overly clumsy, will get coughing fits, worn out easily, etc. That's scary. 

We had someone test positive in our Finance Dept. Luckily they're on the opposite side of the building and after doing contact tracing by the County, everyone was sent home that needed to be. Now masks are required and anyone who was sharing cubicles were split it. Wish they would have enforced this stuff a while ago. There's one lady in our office that does not wear a mask and it's infuriating when everyone else is. 

We have a few nurses on staff and some close doctor friends.  They have all explained in various degrees how the lockdowns and separations are all great, but in the end we will all get it or all be exposed.  The rate of mutation and the lack of consistent antibodies means a vaccine is impossible with the current technologies we have.  

They explained that all these things we are doing is definitely flattening the curve, but even they chuckle at the doom and gloom positive case count the media salivates over every day.  One said, 'you have no idea how many people are being tested...'  insinuating that it would actually be odd if the case count didn't go up.  

The craziest thing is that all of these people (over 10 personal acquaintances) do not regularly wear masks in public.

At this point, I have no idea what to think.  I still stand firm that shutting our economy down is far worse than whatever the virus will bring.

6 minutes ago, REKIII said:

At this point, I have no idea what to think.  I still stand firm that shutting our economy down is far worse than whatever the virus will bring.

You are saying that you are OK with being a casualty if it means the economy stays open and you would view your death as being for the greater good of the nation? 

29 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

You are saying that you are OK with being a casualty if it means the economy stays open and you would view your death as being for the greater good of the nation? 

Yes.  For sure.  I'll even put that in writing and sign a waiver of care if it would make you feel better.

On 7/13/2020 at 8:47 PM, B C said:

Update:
Family members were called in to say their goodbyes last night. He passed this morning at 10a. He was a head chef at a number of restaurants, most recently Lucilles BBQ in AZ. He was 49 and leaves behind his wife and 4 teenagers. 
 It's so easy to feel entitled to live long enough to see your kids grow up. 

[CBS+2+Photo--Stephanie.jpg]

Sorry to hear of your loss Brian.

In the midwest we have always been "behind the curve" compared to what's happening on the coasts. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people won't take this situation seriously until it affects them personally. I hope that your sharing this here will help personalize the issue for someone and possibly help them to take action that could save a life here in Wisconsin.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your loss, B C. Two of my family members died of this in Mexico (their daughter also caught it, no updates on that).  A long time friend of mine died of this earlier this year, my grade school gym teacher got pretty sick, but thankfully recovered. 

It does look like the mask mandate is working, sucks that we have to wear one, but it is what it is.