WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Today at my moms company 25 people were let go (in a company of 175), all remaining employees are taking a 20% pay cut. She is the HR person. My sister also lost her job in March. It took 6 weeks for unemployment benefits to start working out for her. I will not be surprised at all if I lose my job in July or August.

It feels like I know more people who have taken a pay cut or lost their job than not at this point. Fortunately I still dont know of anyone first hand who has gotten sick. 

Pay cuts seems like really opportunistic behavior on the part of employers, but if the alternative is getting laid off I guess it's hard to say no. I wouldn't want to have to be looking for a job right now.

I must be lucky. We were slow at the beginning of the year, but things are busy for us now and show no signs of slowing down. I also don't know anyone who's gotten sick, but stand by my prediction that Wisconsin will get hit hard starting in late June and going though into August at least. Probably 1000-3000 new cases per day. At this point I'd say that we started our lock down a week or two earlier than maybe we should have, but it's easy to say that now having 2-3 months of data to look back on. This is new territory for everyone.

5 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Pay cuts seems like really opportunistic behavior on the part of employers, but if the alternative is getting laid off I guess it's hard to say no. I wouldn't want to have to be looking for a job right now.

I've had my pay and some benefits cut but it's very much preferrred to losing my job. What makes it feel a bit opportunistic on their part, however, is that I'm being asked to work the same (if not more) hours and still expected to meet the same deadlines. A number of my coworkers are in Europe/Canada where labor laws have prevented my employer from doing the same reduced pay/same hours shenanigans. It has been sort of entertaining to watch management try to explain why they rest of the offices have time off without saying 'because we can'. 

We have still been quite busy as well, that being said we will see what the June-Aug timeframe brings. So far medical device manufacturing/drug filling has seemingly been undisturbed. There have been some changing in focus areas but everything still seems like it’s “full steam ahead” 

there are automotive/consumer portions of our business that have definitely slowed down

We have been finishing up a few projects but everything has been crickets for future projects.  Companies are very afraid to lay out dollars for development with such uncertainty.  I'm very fearful of what will happen with my group if things don't start looking good.  We can weather a storm for awhile, but not forever.  2019 was rough, so we were playing catch up, and 2020 was looking awesome until we got kicked in the teeth by the shutdown.

I was moved to working from home right before the lockdown. All client worked immediately stopped, except for a school client. My boss permanently closed our office and moved out in April. Our company was luckily to get the small business loan to help with expenses for a couple months. Future is unknown, but closing the office was not a positive omen. 

Relaxed restrictions does not mean that the virus does not exist anymore. These kinds of knuckle-draggers that are rushing into crowded spaces with abandon are the ones who are going to mess it up.  By all means open things up, but be responsible about it. So within about 2 weeks we should see a massive spike in new cases. I sure hope im wrong.

Make sure to celebrate this victory by kissing every stranger you see with a nice open-mouthed kiss. I'm gonna be burning my mask later along with  some of the extra toilet paper I thought I was going to need. PROTIP: Hand sanitizer is great for getting fires started!

I agree that the stay at home plan that covers the entire state does not consider the differences in locations, and is not a perfect plan. but now we have NO plan. how is that better? 

https://www.wiscnews.com/bdc/news/state-and-regional/wisconsin-supreme-court-strikes-down-stay-at-home-order-dane-county-institutes-local-order/article_829ab356-62f2-51b5-985e-fe2bb9c582d2.html

In a joint statement, Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, and Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, indicated they want to create new administrative rules to manage the pandemic.

The two leaders added they believe businesses can safely reopen using COVID-19 guidelines created by the Wisconsin Economic Development Corp., and that they trust Wisconsinites to continue to follow social distancing, handwashing and telecommuting without an extensive state order.

Rep. Senators: Go to court to Cancel Stay at Home 

also Rep. Senators: Believe people will do the right thing and be safe on their own

People: Pack the bars shoulder to shoulder with no masks and no social distancing. 

Obvious outcome. Hopefully no innocent people get hurt. 

Meeting new people now is going to be like the Walking Dead.

How many bars have you been to?

How many masks have you worn?

How many people have you killed?

Why?

they trust Wisconsinites to continue to follow social distancing, handwashing and telecommuting without an extensive state order.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and those bar videos prove exactly why the order was necessary. They're either wildly out of touch with reality or trying to cover ulterior motives, and I'm inclined to believe the latter based on their track record. 

Wait did I miss the part where without a stay at home order you HAVE to go out of your house?  As far as I am aware if you are worried about the virus or any other thing you can stay home indefinitely if you want to.  

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/deaths.htm  

I guess we wait a couple weeks and look at the data again to see if the line moves from it's very horizontal trajectory.  Deaths per day have been a steady flat line since the beginning of April.  It will be pretty easy to see if the line starts trending upwards. 

What is quite bad is the 43% of WI deaths are happening at old folks homes.  And 71% of deaths are of people 70 or older.  So hmm, I won't go see any elderly family or friends.

I personally will choose not to go to a packed bar, or even Walmart, etc.  I don't need a "law" to tell me I can't.  Even in non pandemic time I still avoid those places 😛 

Edit:  And don't be scared, there are already local extensions where most of you live anyway.

People are missing the point of why the order was reversed.  IT WAS ILLEGAL.  Put something else in place, fine.  But if you give up freedoms for a small amount of security, you are already done for.  We have checks and balances in place for this exact reason.

I'm not going to be heading to a bar anytime soon, but I'm glad that I can decide that.  If you are so fucking worried about what everyone else does, get a job as a policeman or teacher or something. 

My wife's spa is fully reopening Monday.  There is a long list of new internal regulations that she is implementing (on her own, not per any ordinances).  People will be asked ot comply or not come.

The funny thing is, all hair stylists and nail techs are trained in disease control, sterilization, etc.  They literally have to take a 4 credit course every year or two on hygiene to stay up to date.  They are trained more than any other profession on how to keep clients and themselves safe, yet they've been shut down the longest.  It just goes to show you that the people who determined the shut down had no idea of reality.

23 minutes ago, REKIII said:

People are missing the point of why the order was reversed.  IT WAS ILLEGAL.  Put something else in place, fine.  But if you give up freedoms for a small amount of security, you are already done for.  We have checks and balances in place for this exact reason.

I'm not going to be heading to a bar anytime soon, but I'm glad that I can decide that.  If you are so fucking worried about what everyone else does, get a job as a policeman or teacher or something. 

My wife's spa is fully reopening Monday.  There is a long list of new internal regulations that she is implementing (on her own, not per any ordinances).  People will be asked ot comply or not come.

The funny thing is, all hair stylists and nail techs are trained in disease control, sterilization, etc.  They literally have to take a 4 credit course every year or two on hygiene to stay up to date.  They are trained more than any other profession on how to keep clients and themselves safe, yet they've been shut down the longest.  It just goes to show you that the people who determined the shut down had no idea of reality.

Exactly, it was illegal, therefore no matter whether it was helpful or not it cannot be done here.  In other countries that have different laws sure go for it.  The ruling from what I understand wasn't even about whether the stay at home order contents were legit or not it was that it could not be implemented by Evers or Andrea Palm without approval of the other branches.

If you are worried about what everyone else is doing and like to control people please actually do not become a policeman... :lol:

2 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Wait did I miss the part where without a stay at home order you HAVE to go out of your house?  As far as I am aware if you are worried about the virus or any other thing you can stay home indefinitely if you want to.  

some people will be able to stay in, but not everyone. some people who need to be safe at home might now be forced to make the decision to go back to work and risk dying or stay and home and get fired. old people, immune compromised people, pregnant moms, etc have jobs too. currently, they can collect unemployment. if they are fired for not showing up for work, they cannot. 

47 minutes ago, REKIII said:

I'm not going to be heading to a bar anytime soon

you are smart enough to realize that staying away from people is indeed safer. you are smart enough to implement safe practices at you and your wife's businesses. its fantastic that you are doing that. the problem is many people are not. many people are idiots. stay at home was protecting us from idiots. the idiots will ruin it for all of us, no matter which side of the debate we are on. was a state wide shutdown an overreach? maybe. but we have laws and people in charge because the average citizen is like a 14 y.o. boy.  - without direction and someone else in charge, he will inevitably set himself on fire or set his friend on fire. he thinks he knows what good decisions are, but most of the time he's wrong. 

if a customer showed up at your wife's salon and said "I have COVID and I want to come in for a haircut", would you let them in? Yes or no, those people are coming, and they aren't going to warn you. 

Same problem here. I work with 40 other people. Does one of them have the right to go out to a bar, get covid and drag it back to work, getting 20 other people sick in the process? Your rights only extend until you infringe on other people's rights. That's how society works.

1 hour ago, HipMF said:

Your rights only extend until you infringe on other people's rights. 

Kind of like how the WI Supreme Court just ruled that the safer at home order was unlawful

FWIW many cities have already implemented their own version of safer at home orders, mine included, that extend beyond the original order by a few days 

9 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Kind of like how the WI Supreme Court just ruled that the safer at home order was unlawful

I haven't read the ruling, but I'm sure it's reasonably fair. The legislature makes laws and can change them if they see fit, but it takes time. The executive branch took a quick action that it thought was necessary. That action was challenged in the judicial branch and was overturned. Checks and balances in action. I don't have a problem with any of that.

This is what I was reacting to:

4 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Wait did I miss the part where without a stay at home order you HAVE to go out of your house?

Yes, I do have to leave my house. I need money to pay rent. I need to buy food. I also don't want to want to get severely ill, and would appreciate it if other people could not congregate because they think their right to drink a beer at a bar is more important than other peoples right not not get severely ill/die. Most people can be that courteous on their own. Those people at Nick's Bar obviously need some guidance from above so that we can try to slow this pandemic down.

Everyone has their own idea of where the line is between protecting peoples health versus protecting the economy, but too many people don't recognize that their behavior has a very real and tangible effect on other peoples lives. That goes for both sides. I'm not saying I have the answer here, just that everyone seems to think they have the answer and don't spend enough time listening to people who think differently than they do.

On 5/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, straight6pwr said:

you are smart enough to realize that staying away from people is indeed safer. you are smart enough to implement safe practices at you and your wife's businesses. its fantastic that you are doing that. the problem is many people are not. many people are idiots. stay at home was protecting us from idiots. the idiots will ruin it for all of us, no matter which side of the debate we are on. was a state wide shutdown an overreach? maybe. but we have laws and people in charge because the average citizen is like a 14 y.o. boy.  - without direction and someone else in charge, he will inevitably set himself on fire or set his friend on fire. he thinks he knows what good decisions are, but most of the time he's wrong. 

if a customer showed up at your wife's salon and said "I have COVID and I want to come in for a haircut", would you let them in? Yes or no, those people are coming, and they aren't going to warn you. 

It is MY responsibility to protect MYSELF from idiots.  Not the government.  I HATE that the government made a law requiring seatbelts, I ALWAYS wear them, to protect myself, not to be protected by the government.  If I'M at risk then I don't go to places where I could be exposed.  This is all MY responsibility.  I do not need, not want the government to do it for me.

That is the difference here.

Same thing with the people at the salon, people who are sick or think they are sick are asked not to come.  If they are showing symptoms and come anyway, they are asked to leave.  Staff is wearing masks and in some cases face shields, clients are required to wear face masks.  If a staff member feels to uncomfortable with the situation, they are not coming in.  This isn't racket science.  This is personal responsibility, and part of that responsibility is understanding that there are idiots out there and doing what you need to, to mitigate risk.  If I was 97, asthmatic, and was going through Chemo, my risk would be a lot different than if I was 27, and healthy.  Sure, bad things can happen to anyone, but it's about managing risk as you see fit for yourself.  As soon as the government tries to manage my risk for me, it's a no-go.

1 hour ago, HipMF said:

Hard to have a sense of humor about 100,000 dead.

People mockingly fake heart attacks all the time - Thousands die from hear disease every year

People mock bad drivers and car accidents, - thousands die in car crashes every year

People make fun of fat people and diabetes - see first line

Humor is humor.  If you can only make fun of pure innocent things, life gets REALLY boring.