WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

5 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

You can do whatever you want 

We’ll continue to lay low. My wife has a friend who is a counselor of some type for children and their families in the ER and she had a conference call with other nurses today and they are finding in New York that the majority of kids coming into the hospital for non covid related issues are testing positive for covid and are asymptomatic. 

It’s our job to keep our kids safe and we won’t do anything that jeopardizes theirs health. 

5 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

the majority of kids coming into the hospital for non covid related issues are testing positive for covid and are asymptomatic. 

if you look up 'kid' in the dictionary, you'll find one of the alternate definitions is 'germ warehouse and distribution facility'

closing schools back in march has probably saved thousands of lives already. 

Anyone who doesn't think that kids are carriers are purposely being dense.  I've seen coaches try to have soccer and baseball practices.  They are stupid, but the parents are even more stupid for taking their kids.  In today's world of 'my kid wont play if they aren't there 100% of the time' is driving a lot of it, but sometimes you have to put on your big boy pants and do the right thing.

I think shutting everything down to the 26th is asinine.  WI is not NYC.  most of the state is not Milwaukee.  Lets use our brains and consider population density.  Sadly the requirement of ;use our brains' basically negates anything I said.  :(

1 hour ago, REKIII said:

I think shutting everything down to the 26th is asinine.  WI is not NYC.  most of the state is not Milwaukee.  Lets use our brains and consider population density.  Sadly the requirement of ;use our brains' basically negates anything I said.  :(

I agree. I think there were other approaches they could have taken - limit number of people inside stores to small numbers, cut restaurant occupancy numbers in half, require masks (hard to do in a restaurant though), allow restaurants with outdoor patios the option to open with tables spaced 6' apart. I bet most people in Wisconsin would bundle up and sit outside at a restaurant right now just to get out of the house and do something. I understand golf courses are outdoor, open spaces where the number of people can be controlled, but I think it's dumb that there is a small group of people will get to go do a social activity with their friends. 

I hope people schedule tee times to not play golf and just walk the course with their friends to get drunk and take dumps in the holes. 

2 hours ago, gilber33 said:

I hope people schedule tee times to not play golf and just walk the course with their friends to get drunk and take dumps in the holes. 

hey, what did golf ever do to you? 🤣  anyone who attempts what you've said near me will be shelled with 120mph golf balls whizzing past their head.

i agree that guidelines that cover EVERYONE in the state dont necessarily make sense for all cities/areas.  the other side to the argument, though, is people are stupid and will push the boundaries too far if you leave the boundaries loose. 

53 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

I mean, did you really ever have any rights to begin with? Local governments control your life already - where you put your shed, how tall your fences are, your zoning which controls how big you can make your garage, your own house. I mean, technically they don't even allow you to install a light switch without asking for permission, charging you a fee, and then having someone come out to take a look at it. 

We're working on a breathing permit right now to make sure people are only breathing through their noses so we can get rid of all the mouth-breathers. 

22 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

I mean, did you really ever have any rights to begin with? Local governments control your life already - where you put your shed, how tall your fences are, your zoning which controls how big you can make your garage, your own house. I mean, technically they don't even allow you to install a light switch without asking for permission, charging you a fee, and then having someone come out to take a look at it. 

We're working on a breathing permit right now to make sure people are only breathing through their noses so we can get rid of all the mouth-breathers. 

while i agree that some rules are cash grabs (such as light switch permits), every rule exists because some mouthbreather did something stupid, which goes back to my previous point that people are dumb. if local govts didnt control these things, you'd have a neighbor with a rube golberg house behind a great wall of china fence that looked like it might fall and crush you kids when they play in your yard. he'd blast his nazi music so loud you couldnt think and have tigers in his back yard that would murder your dogs, on occasion. 

10 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

while i agree that some rules are cash grabs (such as light switch permits), every rule exists because some mouthbreather did something stupid, which goes back to my previous point that people are dumb. if local govts didnt control these things, you'd have a neighbor with a rube golberg house behind a great wall of china fence that looked like it might fall and crush you kids when they play in your yard. he'd blast his nazi music so loud you couldnt think and have tigers in his back yard that would murder your dogs, on occasion. 

I joke about it because I work in the Planning/Zoning office and at the same time I rarely pull permits.

But you're exactly right. The rules, regulations, permits, zoning, etc. is not there to protect you, they're there to protect your neighbor or the next person who buys your house and the light switch that you wired in wrong because you didn't pull a permit doesn't short out and burn the house down. 

On 4/14/2020 at 11:56 AM, patsbimmer1 said:

@wally509 that's great news!  I'm happy to hear!  I have an eerily similar story.  I have a customer that I have gotten to know very well between him and his family.  Well, I called last week to check in on them and his son told me his dad (80 something Korean war vet) had been in the hospital for 2 weeks and was stable but not getting out soon.  They seemed optimistic about his recovery.

Found out today that my customer passed away this week from COVID-19.  

23 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Found out today that my customer passed away this week from COVID-19.  

Sorry for your loss Pat, I can say this is the first death I've personally heard about. 

A study of pregnant women admitted at New York City hospitals, all of whom were tested for COVID-19, found that 88 percent of those who tested positive had no symptoms. The study looked at 215 women who were admitted to deliver babies between March 22 and April 4. Four of the women had COVID-19 symptoms and tested positive, but so did 29 women with no symptoms at all. Only three developed one or more symptoms before they left the hospital. The findings provide clues to unanswered questions about how widespread the virus truly is in New York City, and what percentage of people who have the virus are asymptomatic. They imply that infection rates in “hot spots” might be much higher than previously believed. The study group was too small to draw huge conclusions, but a similar trend has emerged in another microcosm: About 60 percent of the more than 600 sailors aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt who have tested positive for COVID-19 have been asymptomatic.

Interesting statistics from these two studies, though we'll need wide spread testing to find out if these statistics scale out else where. 

just heard about the group of protestors in brookfield.

most of them are not observing distancing and not wearing masks. 

A caption from a jsonline article

A married couple from New Berlin who wished to not disclose their names attended with masks and joined the group on the sidewalk.

“It is happening – COVID-19 is out there and we have to be cautious – but I think as far as businesses are concerned I think that should be a personal decision,” said the woman. “I think it’s just a decision people should be able to make on their own. And if you come down with it and you die, well then that’s on you. It’s a decision that you have to make. If I die because I came here today, well, I guess...”

She shrugged.

“I guess I said my piece. We’re retired. Social security and fortunately have a pension as well. But there’s a lot of people who are really struggling out there. The disease is real and so is what’s happening to people that don’t have COVID-19 and to their livelihood.”

hey lady, if you want to f*ckin die from this, fine. but what you dont understand is that if you get sick and die, you are likely to make several other people sick and possible kill someone in the process, including your husband. 

why are people so dense? 

23 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

I won’t ever shit on someone for peacefully protesting (whether or not I agree with them is another thing) it is a constitutional right and should be protected as such 

they have a right to protest for sure, i'd never say they shouldnt be protesting. the problem here is that the physical act of protest (gathering in a large number) without following proper social distancing is not a great idea. if they would protest with social distancing, and wear masks, there would be no problem here. they cant even see that what they are doing is counter-productive to what they want. 

https://www.wisn.com/article/coronavirus-evers-announces-badger-bounce-back-plan-to-slowly-reopen-wisconsin/32199221

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/#phase-one

It looks like even after the safer at home order extension is satisfied May 26th that there will be multiple phases that require certain metrics be met to begin opening things back up. 

1 hour ago, B C said:

https://www.wisn.com/article/coronavirus-evers-announces-badger-bounce-back-plan-to-slowly-reopen-wisconsin/32199221

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/#phase-one

It looks like even after the safer at home order extension is satisfied May 26th that there will be multiple phases that require certain metrics be met to begin opening things back up. 

The funny thing, is phase 1 won't even start until the mid-end of June.  They already cancelled school for the rest of the year.

The whole point of this was to Flatten the curve.  NOT reduce deaths.  The same exact number of infections and deaths occur under the tall curve or flattened curve.  We are past overwhelming our hospitals.  Open the state, restart the economy.  if it isn't you are only further flattening the curve, not saving anyone, at the cost of a lot of peoples livelihoods. 

4 hours ago, REKIII said:

The funny thing, is phase 1 won't even start until the mid-end of June.  They already cancelled school for the rest of the year.

The whole point of this was to Flatten the curve.  NOT reduce deaths.  The same exact number of infections and deaths occur under the tall curve or flattened curve.  We are past overwhelming our hospitals.  Open the state, restart the economy.  if it isn't you are only further flattening the curve, not saving anyone, at the cost of a lot of peoples livelihoods. 

Thank you.  How much flatter can you get than not even one positive in the counties around me and 17 in Marathon county which has the significant city of Wausau.  Seems that the shutdown was premature if anything.  There is nothing to flatten if it never or hardly left zero.  Why does rural Wisconsin have the same shutdown as the big cities?

I'm not saying that in large cities there shouldn't be more precautions but killing businesses here for no purpose is stupid.

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

Thank you.  How much flatter can you get than not even one positive in the counties around me and 17 in Marathon county which has the significant city of Wausau.  Seems that the shutdown was premature if anything.  There is nothing to flatten if it never or hardly left zero.  Why does rural Wisconsin have the same shutdown as the big cities?

I'm not saying that in large cities there shouldn't be more precautions but killing businesses here for no purpose is stupid.

i agree that the same restrictions used in New York City aren't all relevant to Berlin, WI. however, i dont know how you could tell half of everybody they can go back to normal and half they have to stay locked down. our world is too intertwined, even between rural areas and big cities. what about the guy that lives in downtown Milwaukee, goes to the bars and busy places at night, then in the morning drives to Sturtevant (rural) to go to Amazon to work? what about the business in the big cities that produce products and services that those rural business depend on? how do you start defining what is rural and what isnt? how do you define if where someone lives or works depends on if they stay home? is a company in a rural area that has thousands of employees really like a big city and so they still cant work?

6 hours ago, REKIII said:

are you trolling? you must be trolling.

THE ENTIRE POINT OF EVERYTHING THEY ARE DOING IS TO REDUCE DEATHS.

people cant have a livelyhood if they're dead. 

8 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i agree that the same restrictions used in New York City aren't all relevant to Berlin, WI. however, i dont know how you could tell half of everybody they can go back to normal and half they have to stay locked down. our world is too intertwined, even between rural areas and big cities. what about the guy that lives in downtown Milwaukee, goes to the bars and busy places at night, then in the morning drives to Sturtevant (rural) to go to Amazon to work? what about the business in the big cities that produce products and services that those rural business depend on? how do you start defining what is rural and what isnt? how do you define if where someone lives or works depends on if they stay home? is a company in a rural area that has thousands of employees really like a big city and so they still cant work?

I guess rural is relative.  If you live in Milwaukee then Sturtevant is rural.  Approx 7000 nearby a huge metro area I would not consider rural.  You are right how do you define it?  I don't know.  Rural to me for example would be counties like Taylor which is almost 1000 square miles and the entire population is 20,000, the largest "city" is Medford with 4,000.  And there are zero positive cases.  Having the county mostly shut down isn't flattening a curve.  It is postponing at great expense.  You can't flatten a curve that hasn't even started yet.

9 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

are you trolling? you must be trolling.

THE ENTIRE POINT OF EVERYTHING THEY ARE DOING IS TO REDUCE DEATHS.

people cant have a livelyhood if they're dead. 

Ha, no, not trolling.  I assume you are?  You truly don't understand the point of all of this.  Besides this, if you think anything the government does, ever, is to save lives, then you don't understand that either.