WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

3 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

One of our customers is an "essential business"; therefore, it's already been decided that we will be staying open. Guess I'll save my 2-weeks off for after I get sick...

I've officially been transferred to the front lines. Wish me luck boys.

3 hours ago, Boris3 said:

Funny if you do an online search you get everyone from new pundits to economists and physcologists laying out the assorted theories and explanations.

I summarize a few of them here and add some of my own interpretations. 

The "herd mentality" explanation: I need to do it because everyone else is doing it and they know something I don't. This of course leads back to who is the TP hoarder "zero" and why are/did they start buying. 

The "control mentality" explanation: The world is spiraling downhill and buying stuff is an attempt at control. Yet this is too broad and still begs the question of why buy TP versus hoard something else..

The "basic needs mentality" explanation: if I need to stock up on food and water for a period of shut-in/dislocation then I also need to stock up on TP because in the most basic biological terms what goes "in" sometime later comes "out." Since we are not a land of bidet users (and the WI sub corollary: since it's winter and no leaves on the trees as a fallback option) TP is the answer.  This argument has merit and is intensified by an array of family shut-in corollaries. 

-Basic needs Corollary 1: all the bathroom "business" I used to do at work, mall, etc I now will be doing at home, so my TP buying needs increase.

-Basic needs Corollary 2: the kid(s) are home and not doing their daily "business" at school or at the neighbors or mall, so my buying needs increase.

-Basic needs Corollary 3: at the risk of giving offense stop thinking like a "guy" and consider what may be gendered differences in consumption patterns in your household (be it female spouse/SO and or kids). Somewhat re the latter I remember my younger teenage sister and her friend visiting me in college at my off-campus apartment and after leaving them alone for the day I came home to find that they had gone through 4-6 rolls of TP.   The point is given the potential "gender disparity in use" corollary to the basic needs mentality explanation, my buying needs increase. 

Individually or in concert, these explanations result in empty shelves. 

The "everyone is a f*in idiot and now I need to react or I'll be the one suffering from their idiocy": Case in point when I went to the grocery store when this all started I saw the near empty toilet paper. I knew everyone was being dumb, but also knew if I didn't also get some, zero might be left when we actually needed more. I bought a reasonable single package of TP. 

i'd like to add that if someone here has kids or a person in their family incapable of personal cleaning in the event of no toilet paper, we would gladly share. reasonable adults can learn how to wash up without TP. 

i was trying to explain cloth diapers to someone recently and they couldnt understand the concept of something ever being clean after having shit on it. 1st world problems, jeesh. 

1 hour ago, HipMF said:

One of our customers is an "essential business"; therefore, it's already been decided that we will be staying open. Guess I'll save my 2-weeks off for after I get sick...

I've officially been transferred to the front lines. Wish me luck boys.

Medical Plastics industry here, luckily I can do everything from home. I can’t help but think that “essential employee” = expendable employee to a lot of these employers.  

we’re going to learn a lot about what kind of people we work for over the next few months...

6 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

was trying to explain cloth diapers to someone recently and they couldnt understand the concept of something ever being clean after having shit on it. 1st world problems, jeesh

We did cloth diapers with my son and they were the worst!  They're not nearly as capable of containing a blowout, smell rancid after an overnight, smell rancid sitting in a wet bag before they're washed, leak through frequently and you need to adapt a certain "dunk and splash" method for cleaning poop off immediately in a toilet if you don't have a sprayer attachment for your toilet.  Much to my wife's dismay there were a few that I just said "fuck it" and threw them away after a massive poop.  They also need to be washed a special way so they remain absorbent and then putting the different kinds back together can be a fucking puzzle.  Sorry for the rant... Bad memories.

In the broad definition of essential business my place of work is a supporting function for passenger/light truck/medium truck/ag/farm/compact/etc repair so we'll remain open. We had a conference call with the president of the company and thus far we've reduced delivery hours back to reduce driver exposure which I'm sure has a cost savings and cut inside sales hours back to 30 as they're all hourly while outside sales is salary+ so there's no sense in cutting those hours.  It'll be interesting to see where things are mid April.

18 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

We did cloth diapers with my son and they were the worst!  They're not nearly as capable of containing a blowout, smell rancid after an overnight, smell rancid sitting in a wet bag before they're washed, leak through frequently and you need to adapt a certain "dunk and splash" method for cleaning poop off immediately in a toilet if you don't have a sprayer attachment for your toilet.  Much to my wife's dismay there were a few that I just said "fuck it" and threw them away after a massive poop.  They also need to be washed a special way so they remain absorbent and then putting the different kinds back together can be a fucking puzzle.  Sorry for the rant... Bad memories.

but you saved thousands, so there's that.

It rubs me the wrong way how advertisements are focusing on the topic at hand and making ads that feel a little disingenuous. I get that they need to instill confidence and continue sales to help keep the economy afloat,  but what will a couple months of free On-Star benefit me?!? GM also claims to be helping produce ventilators. As far as I have seen, this is coming by means of production management consulting from GM to medical device suppliers. So really, these medical companies will learn how to implement just-in-time manufacturing and become a bully to their suppliers. They are probably better off without the disruption.

Hyundai is advertising 6 months of payment relief if you lose your job, this is more useful and relevant, but still somehow off-putting.

It is also very clear how many emails from companies are used to state their commitment to their customers during this time and how they are stepping up their cleaning and wish people to stay safe, but moreso are just a foot in the door as an excuse to reach out and gain business.

Again, I get it. But there are companies like 3m who stand to make a big difference and are acting, by donating mass amounts of medical supplies, instead of making feel-good commercials.

I would much rather see non-targeted ads and have companies be compassionate and understanding when a need for special service and understanding due to the virus arise. Fortunately I do see a fair number if companies doing good without loathsome advertisements associated. This is a much better way to strengthen ones reputations.

10 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

That sounds terrible. 

We have three kids and never even considered cloth diapers. Are middle one would have blowouts regularly even with the fancy diapers that have all those little poop pockets to contain that shit. Her poop was like fuck that - up the back I go. Cloth diapers wouldn't have stood a chance with her. 

2 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

The projections were pretty spot on until this stay at home thing came in effect. Guess time will tell.

It sounds like should take up to two weeks for any actions taken to start showing results in the infection rate, and right now I'd say we are about a week into people actually starting to take it seriously so I really hope to see rates slow down a bit by the end of next week...

bit of hope!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vQpuJ2G20VVzGa_ic-dfwGVDDSv1hCA1n94mIm51GWA0SX74nYoiq4yn1H_o0N8doCFxmOL8E9jbPnW/pubhtml?fbclid=IwAR2Dh1GEdKXw100o9ON0zo609J3ejicHm-_8ZZvgcqYNXiC68s_C_a4pZBc#

the projections are starting to plummet, i.e. "stay at home" may be starting to show its working! its gone from 200k to 40k to 16k for WI.

1 hour ago, Rekpoint said:

Good news for everyone. But if this fucks up my summer plans ill be PISSED. I am planning on transferring to UWEC for the spring semester but Im on the fence about signing a lease for the summer if im just going to end up doing online classes. 

you're gonna be pissed, huh? about your lease in Eau Claire? what is that like, $400/month? people are living in terror. people are going bankrupt. people are becoming homeless. people are dying. i think youll be OK if you rent a place and don't get your money's worth. 

54 minutes ago, HipMF said:

I heard some similar belly-aching on the radio about students missing their graduation ceremonies. They were talking about it like kids were going to traumatized or something. I wish my life was so perfect that that's all I had to worry about. 😒

Those are the people that are in for a real wild time once they graduate! 

43 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

The 2008 and 2009 graduating classes were hammered by the state of the job market.  Short of folks with degrees in health care or IT related fields, this class will also have it rough if not worse.

class of 2008 right here. i went to our department's job fair day and had 4 interviews with major milwaukee companies scheduled. in the first two interviews it came to light that the companies had no open positions but were interviewing people anyways 'for their files'. the 3rd and 4th interviews I opened with "do you have any jobs available" and after getting a no, I said thank you and walked out. 

ended up self-employed/own home business for many years after school, but it got me through! 

You guys... lamborghini started producing surgical masks and THEY EVEN HAVE A LITTLE LAMBORGHINI TAG!  When, and I say when because there will be a when, when there is pandemic memorabilia in decades this will be up there in the automotive world.

https://www.lamborghini.com/en-en/news/covid-19-lamborghini-is-producing-surgical-masks-and-medical-shields