WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread: 2015 BMW M3 (Lots of Photos & Videos!)

suspenceful

Thanks everyone!

19 hours ago, B C said:

Im shocked that there is so much wheel gap on a modern sports car. I never really noticed!

I know! You don't really notice it until you focus on the fender/wheel gap in the front. The bumper still sits low, which might give it an illusion.

15 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Looks good!  Did you do spacers to?

Thanks! No spacers yet, but I'm thinking ~15mm all around.

7 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Much better!  So in the front I see that the struts are mounted like an e39 where you loosen the pinch bolt and then slide the strut up.  On this is there enough clearance to flop it out of the wheel well without loosening other stuff?  The e39 you have to disassemble more stuff to be able to tip it out of the wheel well and actually slide the strut out.

I think all BMWs use that pinch bolt which clamps the strut in. But yes, you're able to just swing it out without disconnecting anything but the sway bar end link. The top of the strut is very close to hitting the fender, but you can compress it with your hands. Makes it so much easier than removing the whole strut!

3 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

Could use some Alzor wheels.

Looks good though. Wheres all the other goodies?

LOL @ the Alzor wheels. Unfortunately 19's and 20's are fricken expensive, and I have expensive taste, so wheels won't be cheap. Would love a set of HRE's...

Other goodies are still in the garage, waiting to find time to install/film everything.

1 hour ago, suspenceful said:

Thanks everyone!

I know! You don't really notice it until you focus on the fender/wheel gap in the front. The bumper still sits low, which might give it an illusion.

Thanks! No spacers yet, but I'm thinking ~15mm all around.

I think all BMWs use that pinch bolt which clamps the strut in. But yes, you're able to just swing it out without disconnecting anything but the sway bar end link. The top of the strut is very close to hitting the fender, but you can compress it with your hands. Makes it so much easier than removing the whole strut!

LOL @ the Alzor wheels. Unfortunately 19's and 20's are fricken expensive, and I have expensive taste, so wheels won't be cheap. Would love a set of HRE's...

Other goodies are still in the garage, waiting to find time to install/film everything.

If you need a second shooter, lmk. Can’t really do anything on my own car at the moment.

2 hours ago, suspenceful said:

Pony up an be just like @pynacl

There is a guy on instagram selling HRE p40s for 1600$

His @ on instagram is Nickraft

1600$ for HREs is an incredible deal. 

51e4f22d5c1bd84bae40060462a4b2b3.png

3 hours ago, suspenceful said:

E36 has 3 bolts to attach the strut to the spindle.  Only advantage to that is arguably janky camber adjustment using shims on the lower bolts to add negative camber.  The pinch style is nice because it perfectly goes back into place after disassembly.

1 hour ago, Rekpoint said:

Pony up an be just like @pynacl

There is a guy on instagram selling HRE p40s for 1600$

His @ on instagram is Nickraft

1600$ for HREs is an incredible deal. 

51e4f22d5c1bd84bae40060462a4b2b3.png

Blast from the past. I remember following this dude a long time ago. Had the super wide steel blue matte wrapped E46 for the longest time.

• 1 month later...

After lots of research and debating, I got some 20" wheels! I was torn on everything between 18", 19" and 20". Part of me wanted an 18" setup for the track and to get traction on the street, but this is my daily. So I opted for some 20's because I think they fill out the wheel wells better than 19's.

I reached out to Variant Wheels after watching a fellow YouTuber install a set of their wheels. They hooked me up and gave me a discount code to share with you guys if you're interested in purchasing a set of wheels from them (see below)! They have a few off-the-shelf options and allow as much customization as you'd like when it comes to size, offset and color and design. 

I chose their machine silver "Argon" wheel in 20x10" and 20x11" I let them choose the offset, but it seems like they recommend ET20 in the front and ET35 in the rear for a flush F8X fitment.

WHEELS:
- Variant Argon wheels: https://variantwheels.com/product-category/wheels/argon/affiliate/jakespence
- Other Variant wheels for your BMW: https://variantwheels.com/cold-forged/affiliate/jakespence
- Use code BIMMERSTREET for 20% off and free shipping!

TIRES (currently on sale!):
- 265/30/20 Falken Azenis FK510: https://amzn.to/2ZLOqiH
- 295/30/20 Falken Azenis FK510: https://amzn.to/2XGVnP4

Check out my unboxing and test-fit video:

Here are some photos of the wheels to hold you over until the tires show up.

49894869987_c3ff5aafa7_c.jpg

49894560876_a4b1b8f026_c.jpg

49894045903_c733ffa5e1_c.jpg

49894560756_bcc9f44052_c.jpg

The tires showed up and I mounted them right away! I am thoroughly impressed with the Falken Azenis FK510 tires. Tread pattern is extremely similar to Michelin Pilot Super Sport and the grip is actually better. Not an apples-to-apples comparison because the MPSS tires weren't new and were narrower, but the Azenis are super grippy! Very happy with the look, feel and sound of these tires.

The fitment is perfect IMO. I have since raised the rear by installing the EMD rear spring spacer that I initially left out when installing the lowering springs. It now sits about 1/2" higher than in the video and photos below... will get some updated pictures of that soon. It didn't really rub, but I wanted the extra clearance for when I have a full tank of gas and 5 passengers.

Let me know what you think!

Reminder of the wheel/tire info...

WHEELS:
- Variant Argon wheels: https://variantwheels.com/product-category/wheels/argon/affiliate/jakespence
- Other Variant wheels for your BMW: https://variantwheels.com/cold-forged/affiliate/jakespence
- Use code BIMMERSTREET for 20% off and free shipping!

TIRES (currently on sale!):
- 265/30/20 Falken Azenis FK510: https://amzn.to/2ZLOqiH
- 295/30/20 Falken Azenis FK510: https://amzn.to/2XGVnP4

Check out my initial impressions video (ignore the clickbaity thumbnail):

49920464347_cbf2c802eb_c.jpg

49920166711_f2abb726e4_c.jpg

49920464992_7604194f22_c.jpg

49919651753_df629369dc_c.jpg

49920166056_18f8e0c24d_c.jpg

49919652348_5114965168_c.jpg

49920464827_838a8a1833_c.jpg

2 hours ago, suspenceful said:

Nice work incorporating some of that new A-town "street art". I was like "who paid for all of this shit?" when I walked through there a couple weeks ago. Like they're trying to make Appleton into some cultural hub or something. Is mile-of-music even happening this year?

2 hours ago, HipMF said:

Nice work incorporating some of that new A-town "street art". I was like "who paid for all of this shit?" when I walked through there a couple weeks ago. Like they're trying to make Appleton into some cultural hub or something. Is mile-of-music even happening this year?

They are, and no.

• 4 weeks later...

I threw the stock wheels back on and took the car to its first autocross at Road America! This was essentially my first autocross as well, my only other time being a few laps 5 years ago. Was nice talking to @KaiserRolls and seeing him make me look like a n00b on the track.

That being said, I'd love some feedback/tips/advice on my driving. I'm going to another autocross with it this weekend and would love to improve!

I placed #74 out of 147 cars. My best time was 58.925s. First place had 53.322s and average time for everyone was  59.751s: http://fvscc.com/results/2020_Summer/Event1_raw.htm

I have tons of parts ready to install on the M3 so be sure to subscribe if you enjoy YouTube content: https://www.youtube.com/jakespence135

50037824382_c8c0510cb9_b.jpg

50037562101_dd0024bfa9_b.jpg

50037562006_9b7c7b1772_b.jpg

Kudos on getting out and enjoying your car. Did you drive with stability control on or off? ( I didnt get a chance to watch the whole video yet. There was 1 crash at my last visit to Blackhawk farms by a guy in an F80 that switched stability control off. The immense torque of those cars seems challenging to control.  If M-Dynamic mode is still a think its probably a good way to go especially as it provides understeer correction as well, not just oversteer.  On my E46 I didn't detect any stability control intervention with the more lenient ZCP/CSL  "M-Track mode" on. 

I’m really glad you were able to make it out man. If you keep at it you will no doubt improve. Autox is by far the cheapest/safest way to comfortably push a car. 
I would try and keep 9/3 hand position on the wheel as much as possible. Avoid shuffle steering as the inputs tend to be jerky and can upset the car, I only overhand the wheel if it is super necessary on tight stuff. Line choice will get better with more seat time and definitely walk the course a few times. Looking ahead/through the corner towards the exit/apex whatever helped me a lot when I first started. Getting the car in the right position will help you not ruin the next 3 corners type of thing. I try to avoid “coasting” as much as possible. Either on throttle/braking/maintenance throttle. On RA Motorolex it’s super slick so I try not to be Hard on the brakes while doing large steering inputs.  For slaloms I usually ignore the first cone and try to make that a braking marker (depending on the course Obviously, but RA they can usually be ignored because the slalom “entrance” usually lines up with a corner exit) 

I am by no means in a position to instruct and still am a Certified noob as well, but that’s some of the stuff I have picked up on riding with people that are way faster than me. 

when they allow ride alongs, 100% get in someone’s car/grab an instructor 

6 hours ago, B C said:

Kudos on getting out and enjoying your car. Did you drive with stability control on or off? ( I didnt get a chance to watch the whole video yet. There was 1 crash at my last visit to Blackhawk farms by a guy in an F80 that switched stability control off. The immense torque of those cars seems challenging to control.  If M-Dynamic mode is still a think its probably a good way to go especially as it provides understeer correction as well, not just oversteer.  On my E46 I didn't detect any stability control intervention with the more lenient ZCP/CSL  "M-Track mode" on. 

I drove with stability control on for the first couple laps. My friends convinced me to turn it off for the last couple laps, but you're right, it's a lot of immediate torque to try to control. I talk about it in the video, but the S55 power comes on so abruptly. It's almost like an on/off switch... all motor then tons of boost/torque. It's not very predictable until you get a ton of seat time. I can see why someone crashed with it off at Blackhawk.

5 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

I’m really glad you were able to make it out man. If you keep at it you will no doubt improve. Autox is by far the cheapest/safest way to comfortably push a car. 
I would try and keep 9/3 hand position on the wheel as much as possible. Avoid shuffle steering as the inputs tend to be jerky and can upset the car, I only overhand the wheel if it is super necessary on tight stuff. Line choice will get better with more seat time and definitely walk the course a few times. Looking ahead/through the corner towards the exit/apex whatever helped me a lot when I first started. Getting the car in the right position will help you not ruin the next 3 corners type of thing. I try to avoid “coasting” as much as possible. Either on throttle/braking/maintenance throttle. On RA Motorolex it’s super slick so I try not to be Hard on the brakes while doing large steering inputs.  For slaloms I usually ignore the first cone and try to make that a braking marker (depending on the course Obviously, but RA they can usually be ignored because the slalom “entrance” usually lines up with a corner exit) 

I am by no means in a position to instruct and still am a Certified noob as well, but that’s some of the stuff I have picked up on riding with people that are way faster than me. 

when they allow ride alongs, 100% get in someone’s car/grab an instructor 

Well I'll be at Shawano this weekend to give it another shot! I'll definitely keep all of those tips in mind. Thanks for the insight.

Sounds like they'll be allowing ride alongs on Sunday :)

You are probably already familiar with it as you are much more knowledgable about cameras, and video editing, but the Track Addict app and Race Render software are fun and can make for some valuable additions to video footage.

http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/Features.html

the Bluetooth OBD2 dongle I use on mine doesn’t really have an adequate sample rate but its the cheapest one and was really only made for diagnostics (Carista). Anyways, it syncs with gopro cameras which is cool

On 6/24/2020 at 9:20 PM, B C said:

You are probably already familiar with it as you are much more knowledgable about cameras, and video editing, but the Track Addict app and Race Render software are fun and can make for some valuable additions to video footage.

http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/Features.html

the Bluetooth OBD2 dongle I use on mine doesn’t really have an adequate sample rate but its the cheapest one and was really only made for diagnostics (Carista). Anyways, it syncs with gopro cameras which is cool

I've been meaning to look into this more! Gonna have to check it out and see if I can get anything setup before auto-x on Sunday.