WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread: 2015 BMW M3 (Lots of Photos & Videos!)

suspenceful

After lusting over the F80 M3 and F82 M4 for years, I finally found myself in the position to purchase one. I didn’t want to settle on just any F8X, I needed the perfect one.

Since I already have a BMW 135i for the track and a BMW 335i for daily duties, I wanted a modern weekend warrior. I found myself leaning towards the M3 because of its wide rear hips and the practicality of a 4-door sedan.

After searching nationwide for about a month with no luck, an M3 that matched my criteria popped up in Madison! Meet my 14th BMW, but my first ///M...

2015 BMW M3 with 46K miles

• Mineral Grey Metallic
  • Black Extended Merino Leather
  • Manual Transmission (6MT)
  • Driver Assistance Plus
  • Executive Package
  • Lighting Package
  • Adaptive suspension
  • Carbon Fiber Roof
  • Harman Kardon Surround Sound System

It's stock right now but I have a boatload of modifications on the way. I'll be working with Kies Motorsports and a few other companies for this M3 build. My vision is a functional, good-looking weekend car. But knowing me, I'll probably blow right past that :lol:

Some of you might already watch my BMW YouTube videos (just hit 26K subscribers!), but I'll be documenting this build on my channel as well. I'll also be posting exclusive high quality photos on my Instagram. I'd encourage anyone who is interested to subscribe/follow on those platforms as well. I usually post on YouTube/IG first, then follow up on the forums as I have time to type up written content.

YouTube: https://youtube.com/jakespence135
Instagram: https://instagram.com/jakespence

49481424746_7d2f7d11a4_c.jpg

49481424791_694cf8b69b_c.jpg

49481640992_62b5bd76a5_c.jpg

49481425631_776795e4dc_c.jpg

49481640637_41f608cc10_c.jpg

43 minutes ago, Rekpoint said:

Looks good! I just started posting car content on my car instagram. Feel free to shoot me a follow. @Rekpoint

But glad you went with the 6 speed. Although the ZF 8 speed is pretty damn good.

I'll take a look!

And I had to have 3 pedals. I drove the DCT trans and it's great, but there is just something about a true manual to me.

PS: The ZF 8 speed wasn't offered in the F8X chassis. You had to get either the M dual clutch transmission (more common) or the 6-speed manual (less common).

9 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

Beautiful car. Congratulations!

Thank you sir!

7 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

I personally like the stock wheels when the car is lowered and they are spaced out a little.

Auto rev matching feature is neat. Trans/shifter/pedal still have good feel despite from what I've read. Same goes for the steering.

Agreed, lowering springs are going on next weekend! The front gap is horrendous on these cars. I'll probably do 15mm spacers all the way around as well.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking the whole feel of the car is better than people make it out to be. I'm actually really impressed with the handling and power delivery of the car now that I've driven it for over a month. It does need some stickier rear tires though.

I never told you this, but when you drove the car the day I brought it over, you drove it harder than I ever did :lol: that has since changed...

Good for you.  I really like the looks of the F80.  I agree with above, spacers and springs will really set this car off for now.  I'm jealous of your stock seats!  I feel the f8x got the first M seats that actually compete with the Audi S/RS cars.

Do you plan on addressing the crank hub before you throw power at it?

19 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Congrats on the purchase and the subscriber count! 14 cars already ehh? It’s been fun watching you turn up the notch each time since your E36.

Thanks! I can't believe that $1,000 rusted out E36 sparked this crazy addiction. I loved that car.

17 hours ago, B C said:

Great color! I have a hard enough time keeping 1 BMW 1 Toyota and 1 Honda maintained and here you are with 3 turbo BMWs! Hope it treats you well!

P.S. we know you sold off your collection of 1:24 RC E92s to buy this

I'm torn on the color. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I think it's too "grandpa grey". But I hope it treats me well too 🤞

I still have all of the RC E92s if anyone wants one...

15 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Good for you.  I really like the looks of the F80.  I agree with above, spacers and springs will really set this car off for now.  I'm jealous of your stock seats!  I feel the f8x got the first M seats that actually compete with the Audi S/RS cars.

Do you plan on addressing the crank hub before you throw power at it?

I really like the Competition package seats, so I'll always wish I had those instead, but the standard M3 seats are nice. I really like the top half of the seat, but butt cushion is fairly plain with no thigh adjustability.

I will probably address the crank hub at some point, but don't plan on making it a requirement before modding/tuning it. I think it's overblown as far as how often it happens.

4 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Congrats on this milestone! Can't wait to see where you take this one!

Thanks! I can't wait to see what comes of it either.

• 3 weeks later...

The M3 got it's first modification! I couldn't stand the wheel gap these cars have from the factory, especially in the front. So I combed through forums and Facebook groups to find what my best option was for lowering the car.

My goal: eliminate wheel gap and retain comfortable ride quality without spending thousands of dollars.

I narrowed it down to Emmanuele Design lowering springs. I could go on and on about why I bought these lowering springs instead of others, or even coilovers. But I don't want to clutter up my build thread, so I wrote a dedicated blog post about them. The Best Lowering Springs for BMW F8X: EMD Auto Review.

Brief summary:

• Ride quality remains the same or better than stock.
  • Compatible with both standard and adaptive suspension.
  • Engineered specifically for stock shocks to avoid premature failure.
  • Perfect stance, lowering the front 1.3″ and the rear 0.3 – 0.9″.
  • Linear spring rate, similar to stock springs.
  • Made in the USA.
  • Affordable at $300-350!

I got around to installing them a few days ago. The process was way easier than I thought... so easy that most of you could do it at home! I took photos and video of the whole process and created a comprehensive installation guide. The guide is too long to post here, but I shared it on my F80 blog. If you want to lower your F8X and save money by doing this job yourself, check it out: How To Install Lowering Springs in Your BMW F80 M3 or F82 M4.

49724480421_e1697c9611_c.jpg

49723941883_63ed701dc6_c.jpg

49724795942_3292f769fc_c.jpg

49724795747_3d0a6fa258_c.jpg

49724478776_1a56eab4f9_c.jpg

49724795327_ae41057f38_c.jpg

49724478096_b679f5631d_c.jpg

Wrapped it up with a proper 4-wheel alignment.

49724477976_3b4989e356_c.jpg

Before - front:
49724476601_51a62b7e16_c.jpg

After - front:
49724477901_f0aee9985f_c.jpg

Before - rear:
49724480586_c7824a1007_c.jpg

After - rear:
49724794477_c50e8b0174_c.jpg

49663830827_d7032b5189_c.jpg

49663833232_dd3023084e_c.jpg

49728763851_92de56bfd3_c.jpg

49728217983_23f03f575e_c.jpg

Let me know what you think 😎

Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Follow me on Instagram

Much better!  So in the front I see that the struts are mounted like an e39 where you loosen the pinch bolt and then slide the strut up.  On this is there enough clearance to flop it out of the wheel well without loosening other stuff?  The e39 you have to disassemble more stuff to be able to tip it out of the wheel well and actually slide the strut out.

4 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Much better!  So in the front I see that the struts are mounted like an e39 where you loosen the pinch bolt and then slide the strut up.  On this is there enough clearance to flop it out of the wheel well without loosening other stuff?  The e39 you have to disassemble more stuff to be able to tip it out of the wheel well and actually slide the strut out.

In my experience all that's needed to disconnect on the e39, e9x, f3x/f8x, etc. is the sway bar link and height sensor to get enough movement to swing it out.