WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

If BMW Never Existed, What Would Be Your Brand?

B C

If BMW never existed, what would you be driving and what would be your brand?

I was a muscle car fanatic at a young age but gained an appreciation of German build quality and driving dynamics. Im guessing I would probably be a VW enthusiast and own an MK6/7 GTi. I also had a lot of Nissan exposure at a young age so I may own a 350z. So either of those.

VW appeals because of the “German feel”

Nissan appeals because they have more easily obtainable RWD performance cars than the other Japanese brands and seem to inject more character than Toyota and Honda. 

Mazda fundamentally has the spirit of performance driving embedded well within its brand but they have never made anything RWD that I can fit comfortably in.

Old British cars maybe? Before my dad got into BMW's (and by doing so, got me into BMW's), he very nearly bought a triumph spitfire. Pretty car, however it would not idle for much longer than a few seconds, couldn't be put into reverse, was very reluctant to go into any of the forward gears and had been pulled out into the driveway before we arrived to try to prevent us from seeing the massive oil stain in the garage where the car was normally parked. I would imagine that if it had actually been in decent mechanical shape, he would have bought it and would be posting this on the WiTriumphs forum.

Pretty thankful he didn't.

This is a hard one.  I am really not brand loyal.  I get ideas about what I like and then pursue them, sometimes with success, sometimes not.

I will say, that I rarely cross direct competitor lines, for example, I really like BMW (obviously) but have never cared for Merc or Audi, or really even VW or porsche.  In my mind those are the most direct competitors to BMW.  I don't know if it's because I'm a BMW guy or not.

My current stable is a BMW, Lotus, Ford, and Jeep.  In the past I've had a GMC, Toyota, Honda....  So....yeah, not too brand loyal.  I like a car for what the car is, I won't buy a vehicle just because I like the company that makes it.

13 hours ago, REKIII said:

This is a hard one.  I am really not brand loyal.  I get ideas about what I like and then pursue them, sometimes with success, sometimes not.

I will say, that I rarely cross direct competitor lines, for example, I really like BMW (obviously) but have never cared for Merc or Audi, or really even VW or porsche.  In my mind those are the most direct competitors to BMW.  I don't know if it's because I'm a BMW guy or not.

My current stable is a BMW, Lotus, Ford, and Jeep.  In the past I've had a GMC, Toyota, Honda....  So....yeah, not too brand loyal.  I like a car for what the car is, I won't buy a vehicle just because I like the company that makes it.

This is exactly how I feel and view the subject. I am in no ways brand loyal, I like something for the way that it is, and the way that it functions. I might love one model of a particular brand and hate the next. It all depends on the design, construction, quality, and overall package. 

My dad wouldn’t let me get a corvette for my first car. They are fun but I’d probably still wind up in something European. I like BMW for its history but I probably won’t buy new ever, I like Audi or Porsche’s styling better these days. With that said, I like anything that’s fun to drive. 

I'd drive cars.  Whatever tool fits the job.  BMW'S have always fit the fun tool and Nissan's before that.  I can't think of anything at the moment that I'd replace my BMW with at this moment that fits all of my needs BUT if BMW didn't exist I'd have a Chevy SS or a Mercedes E63 or C63.  Maybe a b7 RS4.  The r32 gtr would be a good choice too.