WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 Stereo Install

1990m3

Struggling with the premium stereo in my e30.  Old stereo stopped working, new one won't work anymore, not sure what the deal is.  Tired of messing with it.  Any recommendations for e30 stereo install pros in southeast WI that I can take it to?  Just don't care anymore to mess with it myself

Thanks

Stopped working how exactly? No power to unit, no output to speakers (both sides, one side, front/rear), or uneven output (radio, versus aux/other)? If things worked fine in the past but don't now common answers you've probably already checked are either: fuse(s), loose connector(s) at the head unit, antenna issue(s), or ground(s). The work of POs and wiring rat's nests can also be an issue.   

Hey Dave,  😁. You should be working on your race car anyway!!

Fyi for other folks he's got a couple of these so no worries. 

When I bought my first e30 I couldn't figure out why the radio would cut out and blow fuses whenever I turned on the rear defrost. Rats nest wiring by a PO. 

Rich

5 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

blasphemy. what's this guys deal?

😁

sorry i have nothing useful to add to this, no person I've paid to do work has actually done it commendably, so i have no recommendations.

Hi Dan!  I've folllowed all the online guides and it's not working out.  There is something amiss and I have lost interest in trying to figure it out.  Maybe I'll try again if I don't get any good suggestions.  I know I can do it, but like Rich said, the racecar is much more fun to work on anyway...

16 hours ago, 1990m3 said:

Hi Dan!  I've folllowed all the online guides and it's not working out.  There is something amiss and I have lost interest in trying to figure it out.  Maybe I'll try again if I don't get any good suggestions.  I know I can do it, but like Rich said, the racecar is much more fun to work on anyway...

Oh yeah I totally get that. I was pretty sick of replacing steering idler arms in my e34, and look where that got it. (sold)

But I believe that total reverence is required when speaking about god's chariot. "tired" of an e30 m3? Psh, you're blessed to touch an e30 m3. Us mere mortals can't get that close to the divine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 3:27 PM, straight6pwr said:

Oh yeah I totally get that. I was pretty sick of replacing steering idler arms in my e34, and look where that got it. (sold)

But I believe that total reverence is required when speaking about god's chariot. "tired" of an e30 m3? Psh, you're blessed to touch an e30 m3. Us mere mortals can't get that close to the divine.

Plop down some money, anyone can have one.  I'm fortunate enough to have bought mine when they didn't cost too much...