WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Vert mounting m4x,m5x?

retoropak

How would you handle the zf320 gearbox rotation for vert mounted m42 application  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How would you handle the zf320 gearbox rotation for vert mounted m42 application

• Cut and shut: Cut bellhousing and weld it back to keep the transmission at original angle
    • Adjust fluid level modify the shifter and call it a day. If it craps out they are still plentiful and relatively cheap.

Question

I am pondering the idea of vert mounting m42 in my e21. 

Engine wise it should not cause much trouble since the head is symetrical and should drain oil without any issues.

I am worried about the zf320 transmission tho. Shifter is very easy to modify however i am afraid that rotating transmission 30 degrees will screw the oiling.

What is your opinion?

13 answers to this question

Take note on how the fill/drain plugs change and jack up one side of the car to facilitate proper filling/draining. Take note of the vent plug to see if it finds itself lower and more vulnerable to spewing oil out and add an extension/relocate.

Australin spec BMW transmissions operate completely upside down with no issues.

I see some issues with overall height, it's angled over to keep the hood line low.  And you can't get much lower even with a dry sump because of the steering rack.  However you may be able to tip it up a little to make more room for a turbo without being all of the way vertical.  The valve cover is not very far from the bottom of the hood in the stock configuration, like touching the hood insulation close.  Put a chunk of play-doh on top of the valve cover and shut the hood to see how much clearance you have. 

2 hours ago, jc43089 said:

I see some issues with overall height, it's angled over to keep the hood line low.  And you can't get much lower even with a dry sump because of the steering rack.  However you may be able to tip it up a little to make more room for a turbo without being all of the way vertical.  The valve cover is not very far from the bottom of the hood in the stock configuration, like touching the hood insulation close.  Put a chunk of play-doh on top of the valve cover and shut the hood to see how much clearance you have. 

This is for an e21. My engine is mounted really low, but I probably have about 4 inches of hood clearance, and that's to the intake, not the valve cover.

I don't see any issues with rotating the trans, other than what Brian mentioned. Nothing worth losing sleep over.