WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BaT Guessing Game: JDesign Edition

B C

55 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

Surprising. Looking at the bidders, the winner had no track record of any other bids at BaT. None of the other folks had been solely BMW focused or bid on earlier auctions of the same/similar cars. So much for the science of it all.

Congrats on the sale! 

the only science of BAT is that BAT wins, regardless if the buyer/seller are happy. they've figured out how to rig the system.  all i hear is negative stories about sales that fall through, forced "no reserve" auctions that end unexpectedly low, and obviously way over-the-top nit picker commenters that never even bid. its like they assume everything is a lie and your hiding secrets and a unseeable spot of rust is the end of the world.  but, people keep going back, so what do i know *shrug* 

Nice sale, I had a good experience selling my V70R on BAT.  I agree with the excessive "experts" that feel the need to notify everyone about something they think is an issue but actually know nothing about.  Typically the serious bidders don't even participate in the comments much.  I hope the buyer is trailering it home enclosed.  Bad time of year to take it out on the roads.

Also you can tell the people from the south who have never experienced rust and freak out over some surface rust on large cast suspension parts.  Someone commented on the Volvo along the lines of "I think the rear control arms need replacement because of the excessive rust"  They are similar to an E36 rear trailing arm, not going to rust through that in a lifetime...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally picked up and shipped out. 

I agree with you guys, there is a lot of comments from those who are likely just there to cause a stir. Here is my step by step experience with this BaT transaction;

1. I Submit a 4 page document containing all the information about the car, 60+ images of the car, and my $100 listing fee.
  2. I get an approval email that the car is accepted and I am assigned an auction manager which mentions that after his edit it takes a month for the car to go live.
  3. The auction manager asks for more recent photos as the ones I submitted were somehow back dated, this is resolved per my response. 
  4. The auction manager then takes my 4 page document and condenses it into 4 paragraphs and asks me to review them. 
  5. I fix all the errors and rewrite the paragraphs (3 times or more) due to data errors ( wrong size wheels, using odd descriptions to parts that don't exist)  
  6. Finally I approve the text, expecting that I have a month until the car goes live so I can add remaining photos of the underside, new pin stripe and re-painted front lip.
  7. A hour later I get a notification that the car is now live on BaT. ( What happened to the month before it goes live?)
  8. I add pictures 2 days later during the auction and the auction manager adds them within minutes of me submitting them.
  9. The auction ends and I get a few private messages after the auction.
  10. Two of the bidders said they would have bid more, BUT the notifications BaT sends out warning the auction ends in 30 mins via text and/or email went off 7 mins to close and when they checked in to bid, it was already too late. I believe them as I got the same text 7 mins before the close. Oh well, I was happy with the price and feared relisting it would bring a lower price.
  11. The winner may have had no prior bids, but you have to start somewhere. Turns out he was a pretty nice guy and he explained that he didn't think he was going to win. The buyer flew in from New York to inspect the car, pay in full, and ideally planned to be there when it was loaded onto the transporter.
  12. Unfortunately, the transporter didn't meet his promise and never arrived, or returned the buyers calls. The buyer had to fly back to New York without seeing it loaded. 
  13. 3 days later, 3 auto transport companies later, a driver arrived with an open carrier and was extremely worried worried about loading the car due to the front lip. I tell him I can remove the front lip and I call the buyer so he can okay removing it. With out the front lip the car is loaded no problem. I took video, pictures, and documented the whole process and the driver was very careful with the car as he seemed to really like it. 

Onto the next!

IMG_E0475.JPG

14 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Two of the bidders said they would have bid more, BUT the notifications BaT sends out warning the auction ends in 30 mins via text and/or email went off 7 mins to close and when they checked in to bid, it was already too late. I believe them as I got the same text 7 mins before the close. Oh well, I was happy with the price and feared relisting it would bring a lower price.

although I believe them too, thats just putting the blame on someone else for being lazy. if you're bidding on something and want to win it, you should probably know when the auction is going to end and not rely on some random notification to remind you.

14 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

3 days later, 3 auto transport companies later, a driver arrived with an open carrier and was extremely worried worried about loading the car due to the front lip. I tell him I can remove the front lip and I call the buyer so he can okay removing it. With out the front lip the car is loaded no problem. I took video, pictures, and documented the whole process and the driver was very careful with the car as he seemed to really like it. 

why is auto transport such a f*d up system? why is it all so under the table/run by brokers/unreliable? gotta be thousands of cars sent around the country everyday.

15 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

although I believe them too, thats just putting the blame on someone else for being lazy. if you're bidding on something and want to win it, you should probably know when the auction is going to end and not rely on some random notification to remind you.

why is auto transport such a f*d up system? why is it all so under the table/run by brokers/unreliable? gotta be thousands of cars sent around the country everyday.

Yeah I agree, that's why I wasn't going to fuss about relisting it or taking other offers. Would have just made a bigger headache.

AND yeah IDK. WHY do they all say they will be there at XX:XX but never show up at that time or at all. The guy that did show up was texting me and was very responsive the entire time, and was RIGHT on time. It was shocking.

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

It seems like it is this way because it is so cutthroat.  No one wants' to pay another $800+ for a car they just got a good deal on.  Then you have the drivers/owners wanting to optimize their load.  The combo of those 2 things couple with potentially crappy people on both ends (drivers and sellers) that bad shit is bound to happen.  It seems that people I know that spend $1500+ on enclosed carriers never have issues.

I'm to the point where if a plane ticket and gas/hotel is even remotely close to a high end transport I'll just go get it myself.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:20 PM, REKIII said:

Oh, and congrats on the sale.  The process seemed OK as I've read a lot of horror stories from BaT.  Glad yours went good.  It helped a ton that the seller and buyer were decent people it seems.

Thanks!!

I agree that it's a combo of cutthroat and optimization. 

On 2/7/2020 at 9:06 AM, Jdesign said:

1. Two of the bidders said they would have bid more, BUT the notifications BaT sends out warning the auction ends in 30 mins via text and/or email went off 7 mins to close and when they checked in to bid, it was already too late. I believe them as I got the same text 7 mins before the close. Oh well, I was happy with the price and feared relisting it would bring a lower price.

Never done BaT. Just read the FAQ, so you have to place each bid individually? Not like Ebay where you can put in a max bid amount and it automatically bids for you up to your max? 

2 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

Never done BaT. Just read the FAQ, so you have to place each bid individually? Not like Ebay where you can put in a max bid amount and it automatically bids for you up to your max? 

Yes. You put in your max bid, and it automatically goes up to that price. You put in the max amount you want to pay. It does not bid it up for you.