WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Anyone live in a non-emissions city!?

e92boost

I have alot of mods and I can't go around fixing a few codes without putting stock cats on.

I was wondering if anyone lives in a city or county (for example Adams county wi) that doesn't require emissions, I need an adress where I can say my cars kept in so I don't have to go anymore... Hehe

Or if someone knows another way around it!

I'll pay someone a

Few bucks thru pay pal

i live in the non-emission county of 'pre-1996'

but seriously here are the regs:

Vehicles require an emissions test based on:

Vehicle location

Vehicles customarily kept in one of the seven southeastern Wisconsin counties of Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Washington and Waukesha.

Certain vehicles

Autos and light trucks model years 1996 to 2006 that have a gross vehicle rating up to 8,500 pounds, not including diesel powered vehicles.

Autos and light trucks model years 2007 and newer which have a gross vehicle rating up to 14,000 pounds, including diesel powered vehicles.

Certain regular occasions

After a transfer of ownership (transfer of plates or new plates issued).

After first registering in Wisconsin.

Before renewing registration (biennial testing, see below for details).

Certain non-regular occasions

When identified as having tampered emissions equipment.

When identified with fraudulent vehicle location information.

Government vehicles when designated by the department.

Exempt vehicles

The following vehicles are exempt from emission requirements (except for vehicles identified as having tampered emissions equipment):

Vehicles manufactured before 1996.

Vehicles manufactured after 1996 that are not OBDII-compliant (must be verified at a test station).

Diesel powered vehicles with a model year 2006 and older.

Motorcycles and mopeds.

Vehicles with a registered gross weight over 14,000 lbs.

Trucks with farm registration.

Electric powered vehicles.

Note: Hybrid vehicles (that use both electric power and gasoline or diesel fuel) are subject to emissions inspection.

Non-motorized vehicles.

School buses and human service vehicles with seating capacity of 16 or more people.

Vehicles registered as special design vehicles, Medal Of Honor and apportioned plates.

i dont condone breaking the law, btw. but if you are keeping a cat on the car, there is little harm to going around the system.

if you get pulled over, the cop can see what county you registered with, fyi.

Edited by straight6pwr

• 1 month later...

This is pretty easy to get around if you store your car in the winter. I keep mine here in Washington county, but my inlaws are in dodge county, so i put dodge on the 'where vehicle kept' line. If I'm ever asked, which I have not' I simply will say, that is where the car is stored.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest quillbro

if its older than 1995 i dont think you have to worry about emissions anymore. I just say Green lake county though, town of Markesan. Thats where my folks have a place.

• 4 months later...

They way that works on the title application, you don't need an address in that other county. You just need to name that other county where the vehicle is kept. Sounds dumb but that is how it works.

I did that a few years back and was shocked how easy that loophole is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have alot of mods and I can't go around fixing a few codes without putting stock cats on.

I was wondering if anyone lives in a city or county (for example Adams county wi) that doesn't require emissions, I need an adress where I can say my cars kept in so I don't have to go anymore... Hehe

Or if someone knows another way around it!

I'll pay someone a

Few bucks thru pay pal

My buddy's dad registered his saturn in a country that is 3 hours north of ours. There car burned a quart of oil a week and made it 2 years like that before finally dying. he never got pulled over or questioned about emissions. The car was a 97 saturn sl2.