WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The Euro Rental

tonyfoto08

So I'm going to visit friends living in Germany in September. I'm looking at the perfect car to rent for one day to run on an Autobuhn and the Nurburgring since I wont be far from there. I found a rental company http://europeluxurycarhire.com/ The company offers only what the URL reads. However, any car in the Ferrari's class is 1,200-3,000 eu per day ($2,400-$5,000.) How much I'd love to cruise in one of those it's just not practical. 1 day with a Ferrari would be more then the air fair for the trip.

I've narrowed my choices down to 2. For 200 eu ($280) I can rent a 420bhp 4L V8 2011 BMW M3 or for 250 eu ($350) I can get my hands on a 555bhp 4L Twin Turbo V8 2011 BMW X6M which sounds promising. They look nice and from what I've heard from the guys on Top Gear: USA it's actually a pretty fun ride. It's a known fact that even though the M3 has about 100 bhp less the X6M It's lighter and will out preform the X6M. So for performance I'll pick the M3 but the X6M is unique. It's a $90,000 power house that I might not get the opportunity to drive any other time. So the question still stands. What do I reserve? The M3 is my "goal" car. ( not a dream car because an M3 is a car I will own in do time.) Where the X6M is just different.

Posted Image

X6M vs. M3

Posted Image

M3 hands down. You have an opportunity to drive the flagship BMW vehicle, or an ugly, useless POS that disgraces the badge it wears on the hood and trunk. I hate the fact that BMW is watering down the //M badge by making these stupid souped up SUVs. After owning 2 M3s and an M5, I find it terribly disappointing that BMW stooped to this level :(

M3 hands down. You have an opportunity to drive the flagship BMW vehicle, or an ugly, useless POS that disgraces the badge it wears on the hood and trunk. I hate the fact that BMW is watering down the //M badge by making these stupid souped up SUVs. After owning 2 M3s and an M5, I find it terribly disappointing that BMW stooped to this level :(

Man you crazy?! Why not have a v8 twinturbo suv to give amg a run for their money!?

I mean yeah the M3 is sick, but have you ever driven an X6?? I've actually been in a X6M in Bulgaria a few months ago, it was nuts. I absolutely loved it, if I was 40 and wanted an SUV, that would be first choice over any thing.

You might want to be sure the rental company allows you to take the car on the ring. Most don't allow it.

I also would suggest you take your time on the ring, it's obviously a hard track, even harder in a vehicle you're not familiar with (or too much power)...

FWIW, I lived in Germany for 3 1/2 years and have been on the ring. Let me know if you have any questions.

Man you crazy?! Why not have a v8 twinturbo suv to give amg a run for their money!?

I mean yeah the M3 is sick, but have you ever driven an X6?? I've actually been in a X6M in Bulgaria a few months ago, it was nuts. I absolutely loved it, if I was 40 and wanted an SUV, that would be first choice over any thing.

Thats it right there, I think a sports car/vehicle should not be built with 40 year old men in mind. It should be a viciously fast, slightly uncomfortable machine built to destroy! I just refuse to believe that the X6M deserves an M badge, its a useless SUV.. i've only sat in one, and that was enough for me to know I would NEVER, EVER, own one. However, i do like the X5, because it does exactly what its supposed to do very well; transport people from A to B in comfort, while providing space to fit stuff in.

Thats it right there, I think a sports car/vehicle should not be built with 40 year old men in mind. It should be a viciously fast, slightly uncomfortable machine built to destroy! I just refuse to believe that the X6M deserves an M badge, its a useless SUV.. i've only sat in one, and that was enough for me to know I would NEVER, EVER, own one. However, i do like the X5, because it does exactly what its supposed to do very well; transport people from A to B in comfort, while providing space to fit stuff in.

You think BMW builds their SUV's especially X5Ms and X6Ms with our age group in mind lol?

At forty i don't think I'll be to old at heart, My dad at 55 has done burn outs and doughnuts in my old Ms and my brothers toys lol... But at 40 i think ill be more stable in my life to afford something like that.. make sence? So what does a man do that wants an SUV at mid-life bc he has a kid and more stuff going on, but he doesn't want to give up on all performance or the M motorsport he grew up on.. buys a X5-6M!!!! lol this will be a big argument that wont end and since your my friend ill drop it.. but i think i win..

Guest Charles Dickens

Thats it right there, I think a sports car/vehicle should not be built with 40 year old men in mind.

But what about people who need four doors and ground clearance? Maybe an M5 could work, but I think its fair to make an X_M to compete with AMG.

I have experiance on tracks. I've driven an E46 M3 at The Autobuhn country club in Joliet, Ill. I know the E90 will be a big difference. I'm looking forward to the challange on the ring. I'll take it slow the first time and I'm usally a quick learner...... Forza 3 is my testing grounds till race day haha. If they don't want me to take it on a track I guess I just shouldn't crash it...

No M1's for rent. checked one out at the Chicago Auto Show. Sitting in the driver seat of that beast feels amazing. The price tag looks better then the M3's too!

There are companies who specifically rent race prepped cars for the nurburgring. http://www.rent-racecar.de/ is one.

No amount of Forza will prepare you for the real thing. It'll help but likely will make you cocky and foolish. I only say that because I've experienced it first hand. I almost crashed in a buddies STI because he went too fast because he "knew the track from Forza". Nevertheless, even driving safe it's often the other stupid drivers that crash into you! And a M3 in euros would not be fun to try and pay off.