WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

It's not April 1st unfortunately...

jc43089

Disgraceful, FWD based sideways engine.  I was ok with the efficiency based i3 being front drive but the 2 series?  It appears the 228 and 235 are both FWD based AWD cars with a sideways engine.  Just why?  If I can fit an I6 in a Toyota minivan without modifying the firewall or radiator/condenser mounting then why do you need to turn the engine transverse to fit in in a "performance" car!  I could rant on but no one cares.  Also it looks terrible.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/seeing-double-two-flavors-of-the-bmw-2-series-gran-coupe-revealed?utm_campaign=Weekly%20Digests&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=78290859&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8gJ3dTiJDFH-mmBshhfS446eWilDdU__fIQHObEd_ut98lw0iWDvwqJpe5GFZ-PocWVI5FDpeUvGgnNl5oNqLxU6UlGg&_hsmi=78290861

I was about to post a picture of the Kia Forte because that's exactly what it looks like. I hadn't opened the article you linked until just now and lo and behold, there is a picture of a Kia Forte right in the article. Its a shame that this is where they have ended up as the previous 2 series was apparently a decently fun car to drive and didn't look all that bad. 

Update: No manual option on BMW's cheapest sedan, that sucks even more

I'm not even so much upset that it's fwd based AWD and transverse but it's so fucking ugly!  The M sport seats look nice but that exterior is fucking miserable.  It's based on the Mini Cooper platform which really is a good platform so im going on a limb and saying it'll probably drive well.  We also need to remember this is only for the 2 GC, the upcoming 2 coupe *most likely* won't be based on this platform.

2 hours ago, jc43089 said:

If I can fit an I6 in a Toyota minivan

Can fit... Is that thing running and driving yet?

17 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I'm not even so much upset that it's fwd based AWD and transverse but it's so fucking ugly!  The M sport seats look nice but that exterior is fucking miserable.  It's based on the Mini Cooper platform which really is a good platform so im going on a limb and saying it'll probably drive well.  We also need to remember this is only for the 2 GC, the upcoming 2 coupe *most likely* won't be based on this platform.

Can fit... Is that thing running and driving yet?

It is not driving yet.  The new house has slowed it down.  The engine is installed though, what i meant was that with very little resources it fit into the existing packaging of the vehicle with no compromises to what was there.  Even with AWD which is now just RWD it still has stow and go 3rd row seating, large fuel tank, etc.  It isn't like I had to get rid of any features to fit the new drive train.