WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

T4r feat White Whale

straight6pwr

8 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Very cool! I was looking at those very seriously before the X5. Ultimately decided I didn't want another Volvo, but they are fantastic cars. My wife had a couple and it was always such a comfortable ride. 

thanks! was the most comfortable 13 hour driving day I've had, by a long shot. eats up the highway miles. the R-design seats are fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

thanks! was the most comfortable 13 hour driving day I've had, by a long shot. eats up the highway miles. the R-design seats are fantastic. 

And I believe their exteriors have aged extremely well. I wish the tech had aged better. I don't know if prices on the R-Designs have normalized yet, but when I was looking the ones I was most interested in were the same price as the X5. And that was hard to justify. 

nothing has normalized yet, lol. but the 2012 x5s seem to be a few thousand more than the R-designs, but thats just with a quick search of x5s that i am unfamiliar with.  i considered x5s, but the volvo drivetrains seems a bit more DIY serviceable that anything newer from bmw. registering and coding a new battery, fugget it 

On 11/8/2022 at 10:20 AM, straight6pwr said:

Whelp, sold the Volvo bought a Volvo. Drove her back from D.C. this weekend - lets hope she's as reliable as the wagon!

2012 XC90 3.2 R-Design, Ice White w/Black interior

Most of my drive was at night, but here's the dealer pic.

Its a big honkin thing, but will keep the fam safe. 

2012_volvo.jpeg

We've got your non-r twin!  My wife has been driving her 2012 XC90 for 7 or 8 years now and it's been dead nuts reliable.  Other than oil changes, tires and brakes I haven't had to do a thing to it.  She's at 130k or so right now and my wife says she's going to keep it until it dies.  She loves her XC90.

• 2 weeks later...

@straight6pwrIf you have the satellite radio I'd HIGHLY recommend you disconnect it and replace it with https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-most-network-diagnostic-bypass-loop-genuine-volvo-8688083.  I spent 2 years and 3 batteries chasing down the SLOWEST parasitic drain issue that would only rear it's head in cold weather after sitting for 2+ days.

The RDAR module starts to cause a drain and I'm still not 100% sure why but after disconnecting it we've had no issues.

On 11/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, patsbimmer1 said:

We've got your non-r twin!  My wife has been driving her 2012 XC90 for 7 or 8 years now and it's been dead nuts reliable.  Other than oil changes, tires and brakes I haven't had to do a thing to it.  She's at 130k or so right now and my wife says she's going to keep it until it dies.  She loves her XC90.

nice! i have been driving it as I work out issues before sending in the registration, but hopefully my wife feels the same as it will be her car for daily. hopefully we will see the same reliability! so far on the fixes I have done (motor mounts, spark plugs, filters, shock mounts) it is really easy to work on. 

On 11/21/2022 at 11:57 AM, patsbimmer1 said:

@straight6pwrIf you have the satellite radio I'd HIGHLY recommend you disconnect it and replace it with https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-most-network-diagnostic-bypass-loop-genuine-volvo-8688083.  I spent 2 years and 3 batteries chasing down the SLOWEST parasitic drain issue that would only rear it's head in cold weather after sitting for 2+ days.

The RDAR module starts to cause a drain and I'm still not 100% sure why but after disconnecting it we've had no issues.

no satellite radio, from what i saw. I will have to scroll through the inputs again to verify. thanks for the link, will definitely bypass if i find it. 

On 11/21/2022 at 1:22 PM, gilber33 said:

How are the factory bi-xenon headlights? Are they pretty decent?

for my standards, not great. but I looked into each headlight and the reflector bowls on both sides are already worn out so that's the issue. not surprising at the mileage. seems like they would have been good headlights if new.  they have active bending and auto leveling, which both still amazingly work. active bending is nice at low speeds around the neighborhood, auto leveling is handy for heavy loads. 

I bought a bad headlight from a swedespeed forum member in an attempt to open one and see about a retrofit but so far i have not been able to heat my way in, which aligns with what people have said online that the seal/glue volvo used is basically permanent. next step is investigating whether I can cut open the light and then figure out how to glue them back together.  TRS has their black friday sale so I'm trying to figure it out quick to get my 20% savings if I decide to order a set of projectors.

Sadly, i have extra D2S bulbs around but no D1S so I cant test fit a newer bulb to see if that helps with light output. dont really want to drop $60 to find out that it doesnt help.