WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

T4r feat White Whale

straight6pwr

i'd also like to report that finally after a lot of hurdles, the car is registered and on the road. newbie question: this is the first car that I've owned that is OBDII and has emissions requirements. at the DMV they didnt say poo about that and gave me current registration tags. I thought it would be contingent on me passing the scan?

30 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

i'd also like to report that finally after a lot of hurdles, the car is registered and on the road. newbie question: this is the first car that I've owned that is OBDII and has emissions requirements. at the DMV they didnt say poo about that and gave me current registration tags. I thought it would be contingent on me passing the scan?

You'll get mailed a letter that says you need to do emissions and then the emissions place lets the DMV know that you passed. If you don't do it they suspend the vehicle's registration. 

Got my snow tires mounted just in tyme for pudding. I picked up some cheap stock Volvo wheels ( 17x7 Arrakis) on Facebook marketplace and threw 205/50R-17 Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow 3 SL on them.  Used Volvo rims are few and far between, but are cheap when you find them. I like a lot of their factory styles as well.

qpjA79Ah.jpg

now that it has already snowed, I can say "bring it on!"

u0kpKuoh.jpg

Should be able to use any laptop with some free hard drive space.  I downloaded an image from some guys thread named Roxy or something like that.  Then I just opened the image.  He probably fixed it by now but there used to be an issue with the license expire date but I had downloaded it right after the license expired.  I could also export my image and send it to you because it works perfect.  I use the Oracle virtualbox program because it's free.

The seller I bought my DICE from didn't have any active listings but it looked just like this one.  It came with a sticker over the Volvo logo.  Honestly they are probably made at night at the same factory as real Volvo units.  What I mean is the cable quality and everything is very good.

Mine looks just like this  https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Volvo-Vida-Dice-2014D-OBD2-OBDII-Diagnostic-Tool-Scanner-Fault-Code-Reader/193000760162?epid=14030737443&hash=item2cefbde362:g:C30AAOSwMdddMRXf

got my headlights aimed today. diagnosed my auto-leveling motors as dead, which I'm partially happy about. if they were working and died in the future, i wouldnt fix em anyways. 

i'm very happy with these mini d2s 5.0 projectors. great width and even lighting. much better than the stock AL ones.

aiming via garage door

OiNZYfVh.jpg

low beams
3GqabSzh.jpg

quad high beams 😍

3wnXmWGh.jpg

Those are awesome. 

Seeing that sharp cutoff reminds me of the projectors I had on my B5 A4 and I wonder if anyone else experiences this: my parents live out in the country kind of by Madison (Columbus) and the road to their house has some relatively steep hills and, because the lights had such a sharp cutoff, as I approached the hill all I could see was road. I couldn't see where the road was going until I started going up the hill. If there was a deer standing in the middle of the road halfway up the hill, I would have had no idea. After that, I decided I didn't really like projectors. It was a very scary drive for a few minutes - they hit usually 2-3 deer a winter by them so it was a very real thing that there could have been a deer right "above" the cutoff. 

thanks!

i have experienced that and agree its not great, but it is also rare that it would happen without you being able to flick your high beams on. hills should also be approached with caution regardless, as when you crest them, it doesnt matter what lights you have you can't see the abyss below.  the extra safety gained in other scenarios vastly outweighs this, IMHO.  I've logged thousands of miles on trips to and from the northwoods with my projector setups, and have not had a problem with seeing animals in the road. in fact, the extra width gained with projectors lets me see all those goddamn deer on the sides of the road and has helped me avoid a few would-be bumper burgers.

7 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

thanks!

i have experienced that and agree its not great, but it is also rare that it would happen without you being able to flick your high beams on. 

This was always with high beams on. I think it was the only car I've owned with more "modern" projectors. Either way, something I noticed with them. 

5 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

🤣just caught this. you have to have a hard conversation with your parents and tell them they need to 'adjust their driving style.' 

They've lived there for several years, unfortunately it's not their driving style. Lots of steep up and down hills, lots of tight cornered country roads, many of the roads don't have shoulders and have 6' drop-offs that even with the best headlights you wouldn't see a deer, and all farms that are  hunted on. The deer sprint across the road, there's nothing you can do about it. 

• 5 months later...

so back during the heart of winter the car developed a severe rear end roaring noise. after poking around it was clearly the driver's rear wheel bearing. at the time I bought bearings for both sides and swapped out the drivers in a hurry one cold night. today I did the other since it was so nice outside in the driveway and snapped pictures. easiest wheel bearings I've ever done. 

remove wheel

tl8eGfAl.jpg

remove caliper (two 13mm bolts on bracket). remove 14mm axle nut from center of hub. knock off the rotor

UO8BloIl.jpg

the wheel bearing/hub is held on by four torx bolts, seen right behind the hub. remove them, tap out the axle, then bang and pry on the hub to separate it from the control arm. (it may be fairly stuck)

GHsTSzIl.jpg

what your left with after removing the bearing/hub unit

0bCuTaQl.jpg

clean it up and apply some antiseize for future self 
MIODpLNl.jpg

old and new bearings
UhLTLr6l.jpg

installation is reverse of removal. couldnt find torque specs for the 4 mounting bolts, but the axle bolt is only 25lbs. 

5wBWB53l.jpg

throw on the summer wheels while you're in there. 🤪 sorry northern dudes. 

I22UJQWl.jpg

• 1 month later...

had a fun problem crop up recently.

I found about 2 inches of standing water in the rear passenger footwell after all this rain

turns out these cars have a common problem where the roof drain hose shrinks over time and comes dissconnected from the plastic drain above the firewall.

suspicions comfirmed:

you can just see where the rubber hose is out from the black plastic piece.
XoI7jsgh.jpg

the offending hose:
7aAeuNth.jpg

some duct tape and zip ties to stretch it back into place temporarily. the better fix is to patch in a new section of rubber hose.

uIGxyu6h.jpg

but on a brighter note, the Volvo has been great for our normal summer rec activities, hauling the two kayaks and associated gear with ease, leading to some great time on the water already this year. 

i40Il6eh.jpg

IuBI17Bh.jpg

pfv0TkDh.jpg

• 1 year later...

well after a year (since i fixed the water leak), the musty car smell remained in the v50 and  i decided to bite the bullet and get the carpet completely out to dry. i thought the carpet was still wet from the original leak (there is a lot of foam underneath) but it turns out that it was still actively getting wet from:

1. The AC drain was plugged and dripping water into the cabin and

b) one of the two rear sunroof drains was also plugged and leaking. 

i didnt think to take pictures of the process, but it was pretty easy. Be sure to disconnect the battery before removing the front seats for all the airbag sensors. 

Remove: rear seat, front seats, center waterfall and console, 4x door sill plastic covers. 

Fix: detach and blow out the drain lines with compressed air. 

Test: set a sprinkler on top of your car and run it for awhile.

I definitely miss how BMW stuck to fewer sizes of fasteners. (everything was always 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm)   There are fasteners of all sizes so its harder to tell at a glance what your dealing with (10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 all needed for interior work) 

20210814_134941.jpg

I also had a failing headliner so i tackled that job at the same time. very tedious project, but doable. considering the cost to DIY is like $75 compared to 600+ for a shop, it is worth it. apparently volvo used 'environmentally friendly' glues that just dont hold up over time.

I used this ebay vendor for the headliner material. it comes shipped in a roll (important), was a close match to the grey, and was the correct size to do the headliner + sunroof panel. i ended up using two cans of 3M headliner and fabric adhesive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/280980573545?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

this diy was great for the process of gluing on the new fabric: 

this is how the old material looked as it was falling apart

fabric.jpg

to get the headliner board out you have to remove: visors, oh-shit handles, sunroof switch/dome light panel, cargo net clips, rear dome light, rear trim at the tailgate, A pillars, D pillars, front and rear seats, one half of the cargo area carpet/plastic covers/spare tire foam, seat belt retractor. you also have to pull all of the wiring that is glued to the top of the headliner off. its a stupid design, the harness connects somewhere inside the dash so there is no way to unplug it, you have to just leave it hanging. 

20210814_134905.jpg

the panel will barely (not really) squeeze through the rear tailgate. you will be bending the edges pretty harshly to get it in and out.

20210814_140145.jpg

20210814_140408.jpg

no pictures of the process of gluing the headliner fabric on, see the youtube DIY above. it turned out 8/10, with a couple of wrinkles and the areas where the handles go are too stretched. but in reality,  no one will notice unless i mention it. 

20210814_135200.jpg

the fabric was a good match. I think it was actually nicer stuff than the original. much better texture, better cut resistance, a slight sheen. 

20210814_135246.jpg

probably the worst bit of this job was reattaching all the wires to the top of the headliner. after putting the headliner back in the car, you have to lay the wiring back across in its original position and hot glue it back into place. i used gaffer tape to hold it in place as the glue set. the wiring runs across the front windshield area, and also snakes backwards and across the center of the car to the two rear dome lights. a simple harness plug in the a pillar could have made this 1,000,000 times easier. 

20210814_145638.jpg

20210814_143258.jpg

headliner back in place. the four cargo net clips have bolts inside so they hold it up best while you attach everything else. 

20210814_151710.jpg

and voila. 

20210814_181109.jpg

• straight6pwr changed the title to R.E.D. Swede Wagon feat. T4r

Welp, bought a family hauler for the wife to DD and for us to use for roadtrips, hauling, etc. 

She was amenable to something 'enthusiast' and a car I am very happy to own - a Toyota 4runner. We needed an SUV that could tow, hold a lot of gear, and be reliable. I love their simplicity, capability and aftermarket parts availability.  They have approx. the same amount of technology as a 90s e34. The only two nits I have with this model are the electronically controlled drivetrain selection and the rust-prone frames. 

I got lucky that it ended up being white. After months of searching, I found this rust free example in Tennessee - flew down from MKE at 6am on a Saturday and was home by 10pm same day.

Here she is in the beautiful mountains of TN on the day I drove her home. its a 2007 Limited, white with gray interior. Super clean, daily driven by an old lady, garaged, Toyota parts used for maintenance, blah blah. 

pV5WK5Ph.jpg

I got right to work with a few upgrades before letting it hit the road.  I did a tune up including oil change, air filter, spark plugs and boots. I plan to change all fluids (both diffs, transfer case, transmission) in the spring, I'm out of time now. 

look at that frame. i was stunned how clean it was. similar age/mileage Wisconsin cars I looked at had fist sized holes in the frame. 

HP72aq1h.jpg

I removed the pinstripes then gave the paint a full detail with clay bar, polish then wax. 

GfITWQ8h.jpg 

Of course, the truck got a bixenon retrofit, which I kept from the e30. TRS Mini-D2S 4.0 with 50w ballasts and custom foreground limiters. 

F99mIeHh.jpg

I also smoked the headlights while they were open, and restored the lenses. 

guLMe9yh.jpg

xpkEXHkh.jpg

GROM Bluetooth adapter with aux-in and charge port (bottom black box with white plug)
6TsNSZph.jpg

I ran the aux-in and usb charger to the dashboard below the RAM mount which I installed based on Dave's recommendation. It works great at holding a big heavy phone. 

bXYydiHh.jpg

I cleaned out the POs filth in the console.  Lady must have ate fries everyday - greasy crumbs in every nook and cranny. bleh! 

UXs80JLh.jpg

I found some used 5th gen 4runner TRD Offroad wheels, plastidipped them black and added General Grabber snow tires for the winter. 

e4GC55Oh.jpg

I added a 1.5" lift kit to the front of the 4runner. They come from the factory with quite a bit of rake, and it levels it out. It is simply a 3/4" spacer than goes on top of the front strut, and due to the geometry it nets a 1.5" lift. 

Ea6IyMjh.jpg

and the most important bit of work i did was to try and prevent future rust for future me.  PB blaster has recently come out with a new rust-protectant coating that has an optimistic 2-year life. most of the products (Fluid Film, motor oil, etc) have a 1 year recoat time. There's a guy on Youtube who tests all of the undercoating products and he says it is now the king of the castle. Its also only $10/can and I used 5 total for coating everything. 

I jacked the car up, removed the skid plate and spare tire and sprayed every nook and cranny on the underside.

cnAncB1h.jpg

I also I removed the front bumper and sprayed all the steel inside
WPppDbMh.jpg

i also removed all 4 wheels and sprayed all the suspension and frame inside the wheels. 
X8WLgc9h.jpg

On the exterior i also painted the lower front valance black, added a Yakima roof rack, debadged the doors and in the future will black-out the rear badges. 

Here's the final product!

pedhL38h.jpg

BWpxocVh.jpg

with any luck ill be back here with some stuff within the next year or so 

13 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

TRS Mini-D2S 4.0 with 50w ballasts and custom foreground limiters

I put a set of D2S 5.0 in my truck with limiters and 50w ballast as well, and holy hell have I been impressed by them. 
Morimoto Mini HB's are super sweet for drop in high beam replacement as well, I run the D2S in the low beam and Mini HB is the high beam hole. That coupled with a 28" light bar makes for an unreasonable amount of light in situations were it is allowed. 

Looking good sir! 

Not sure what you are planning to spray the inside of the frame with. But I highly recommend this stuff. 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/featured-products/cavity-wax-plus/

This is what GOOD body shops use to prevent rust on repaired cars.

Or what smart people should have used on their 2000-2007 Chevy truck rocker panels.

On 11/8/2021 at 10:49 AM, patsbimmer1 said:

I love 4Runners and that white is amazing!  I don't know how many number of 4Runners I've worked on over the years and I have NEVER seen a frame like that.  That's amazing!

thanks! yup, when i saw a pic of the frame i knew she was the one! 

On 11/8/2021 at 11:50 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

I put a set of D2S 5.0 in my truck with limiters and 50w ballast as well, and holy hell have I been impressed by them. 
Morimoto Mini HB's are super sweet for drop in high beam replacement as well, I run the D2S in the low beam and Mini HB is the high beam hole. That coupled with a 28" light bar makes for an unreasonable amount of light in situations were it is allowed. 

Looking good sir! 

yup, the mini-D2S are no-brainers!  i almost bought the HBs but i have concerns with retrofitting a light into a housing i have to bake open that doesnt have a replacable bulb. if it fails in anyway i have to take the headlight apart to fix it. no fun. I know LEDs should last forever, but i really dont want to open these headlights ever again. 

14 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I'm a big fan of the Morimoto stuff.  I have their XB headlights on the F-150 and it made a MASSIVE difference compared to stock.  I also have their reverse light license plate strip on the way to try out.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/XD.LED400?quantity=1

yup, morimoto is my go-to for quality stuff! 

5 hours ago, YoungCR said:

@andyhundley and I worked at a Toyota dealership when the frame recalls were being done on the tundras and Tacoma's, that was wild. Full frame replacement on 10-15 year old trucks. 

Excitied to see what you do with this! 

somehow the 4runners didnt get included in those recalls, despite having basically the same frame as the tacos. 

11 minutes ago, Rekpoint said:

Not sure what you are planning to spray the inside of the frame with. But I highly recommend this stuff. 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/featured-products/cavity-wax-plus/

This is what GOOD body shops use to prevent rust on repaired cars.

Or what smart people should have used on their 2000-2007 Chevy truck rocker panels.

yeah i looked at also doing an inside the frame spray, but havent pulled the trigger yet. the 3M stuff seems slightly better on cost than the Eastwood i was looking at. i also considered plugging all of the holes instead. 

• straight6pwr changed the title to T4r feat White Whale

Whelp, sold the Volvo bought a Volvo. Drove her back from D.C. this weekend - lets hope she's as reliable as the wagon!

2012 XC90 3.2 R-Design, Ice White w/Black interior

Most of my drive was at night, but here's the dealer pic.

Its a big honkin thing, but will keep the fam safe. 

2012_volvo.jpeg

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

Whelp, sold the Volvo bought a Volvo. Drove her back from D.C. this weekend - lets hope she's as reliable as the wagon!

2012 XC90 3.2 R-Design, Ice White w/Black interior

Most of my drive was at night, but here's the dealer pic.

Its a big honkin thing, but will keep the fam safe. 

Very cool! I was looking at those very seriously before the X5. Ultimately decided I didn't want another Volvo, but they are fantastic cars. My wife had a couple and it was always such a comfortable ride.