WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Freight delivered to Airport

REKIII

Anyone done this?  I'm looking to purchase a large(er) piece of equipment and I have the option to save about $500 if I get it delivered to the 'nearest airport' assuming MKE.  Anyone done this?  $500 is not an insubstantial savings, but I don't know what the logistics are.  Will they fork it onto the back of my truck?   I'm only about 40 mins from the airport, so it's a quick drive.

Any advice is appreciated. 

i stopped at one of the Fedex airport facilities on the way home and asked questions for you

414-294-5990 is the direct phone number for the ramp, which is where freight deliveries are held. I didnt get the exact address of which of their many buildings by the airport it was, but its one of them.

Anyways, yes, they will load skids onto customer vehicles with a forklift, or if the vehicle is the right height, you can pull up to the dock for direct loading. 

She made it a point to say to make sure the vehicle is big enough/has enough clearance. they don't like to muck about if its a tight fit and will most likely will not try to load it if thats the case.

20 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i stopped at one of the Fedex airport facilities on the way home and asked questions for you

414-294-5990 is the direct phone number for the ramp, which is where freight deliveries are held. I didnt get the exact address of which of their many buildings by the airport it was, but its one of them.

Anyways, yes, they will load skids onto customer vehicles with a forklift, or if the vehicle is the right height, you can pull up to the dock for direct loading. 

She made it a point to say to make sure the vehicle is big enough/has enough clearance. they don't like to muck about if its a tight fit and will most likely will not try to load it if thats the case.

Thank you!  I knew I should have looked at this thread before I called.

I got similar info, including the warning on size.  

The crappy part ended up being that the thing I'm getting is from overseas, so what the $500 covers is also all the import paperwork/duties/tariffs etc.  If I walked into the fedex place, I'd have to act as my own importer or hire one.  So...the $500 to my door becomes a much better deal.

That all being said I'm really glad I even know this is an option now, and I appreciate the help.  This could help out with domestic stuff a lot.