WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1995 BMW 325is Build Log

basedspider

Making my annual new e36 post. The last few I had were very shortlived, i usually just ended up being distracted by one of my other projects. Dont plan on letting that happen to this one, Im starting to think that I finally found the best e36 for me.

So, context. Me and my roommate Jacob were messing around looking on craigslist for a car that he could drive in the winter. During that search, we found 2 E36s. I found a really nice 1995 BMW 325is, and he found a pretty good priced 1995 BMW 318i and they were both down in Chicago. We got a ride from a friend that was going to work in Ohio,  and we picked up both of them.
MVIMG_20191012_194826.jpg

Definitely happy to be back in an E36, and I am very excited to see whats in store for my latest entry!

1 hour ago, YoungCR said:

Welcome back! Seems like you have good luck finding clean E36’s. More pics!!

I will be posting some exterior/interior/engine bay pics tomorrow :D

11 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

More is pictures!  It looks like sport pkg wheels, is it a sport pkg car?

No sport package :( 

For those interested in options, here is the vin decoder https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/ef51243

MVIMG_20191014_114310.jpgMVIMG_20191014_114334.jpg

So here is the exterior. I am absolutely in love with the color, and the car is pretty clean except for the fact it looks like someone poorly buffed it and it has some hail damage you cant really see in photos. Doesnt bother me much since my main concerns were drivability related when I was purchasing it. The underbody is in pretty good shape, it does have some minor rust spots on the passenger sideskirt, and it has some bubbling starting on the driver side rear quarterpanel.
IMG_20191014_114353.jpgIMG_20191014_114402.jpg
Now onto the interior. Yes, the shifter was electrical taped on by the previous owner. But besides that, the interior is in really great shape. The previous owner definitely took care of it. It even came with weathertechs which was a very nice surprise. No rips in any of the leather. I have a BMW performance shift knob coming, and im picking up a Z3 shifter from my friend Tom this weekend. Hopefully @Rekpoint lets me snag his shifter rebuild kit, because my shifter is in dire need of new bushings.
IMG_20191014_114424.jpg
Now onto the engine/drivetrain. This E36 has definitely the cleanest engine bay out of all the ones I have owned. It runs and drives great too. PO had mountains of reciepts of work done to it, but for now I definitely need to replace the blower motor as it makes a pretty annoying sound. I was lucky because my friend Will had a spare that should work nicely. Also when I have the heat on it smells like coolant, leading me to believe the heater core needs to get replaced. But other than that, I couldnt be more happier with my E36!

Edit: Also for those interested, I made a youtube video on going to pick up these cars. The video can be found here: https://youtu.be/IepdL5U0sc4

So, I did some little stuff here and there. I picked up a new blower motor since it was desperately needed and I also got a new shift knob.IMG_20191017_131237.jpg

(before you ask, yes its 6spd  the listing didnt specify and the pics werent great)

I also got a front plate delete!MVIMG_20191017_170818.jpg

Then, as a little treat for myself I got a door cupholder. My old 325i had one when I bought it, and I absolutely loved it.IMG_20191017_131231.jpg

I also purchased the shifter rebuild kit from @Rekpoint and hopefully picking up the z3 shifter tomorrow! Hoping to have the blower motor and the shifter done too.

• 1 month later...

Hey all! Its been a minute since my last post, but ive been in the business of acquiring parts recently. I was very lucky to be able to pick up these throwing stars and a UUC BBK for my e36 from @ChrisO!!

IMG_20191201_131451.jpgIMG_20191201_131526.jpg

So for the throwing stars, they are 17x8 square off of an E34 M5. Also the wheel with the center cap pictured has a small crack, so I am hoping to get that welded up when I get the new tires mounted and installed. The SSBC calipers also seem to be in really good condition. I was very lucky because Chris was also able to supply the mounting hardware and brackets and Im planning on having all the stuff cleaned up before I get it on the car. 
bar2.jpgbar1.jpg

I was also very lucky because @Rekpoint was able to find me this awesome Eibach strut bar for a pretty good deal! I have some more parts on the way, and I will make some more posts as stuff comes in :D

• 2 weeks later...

Got the brackets for the BBK back from the powdercoater today, they look great!
IMG_20191204_164247.jpgIMG_20191215_144955.jpg

Currently nothing has really changed about the car, Im still getting some parts here and there so I am kinda waiting to have all my ducks in a row before I really tear into it. But soon it will be time to start the project, and I will be uploading some videos to my youtube channel on the process in case anyone is interested.