WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Wanted: Detail Shop recommendation for single stage paint

wally509

Hello all,

For a variety of reasons, I am going to need to sell off my e21 and need to get it prepped for sale.  I'm looking for a detail shop with single stage paint experience so they don't burn through, cut off half the paint, etc.  The paint is pretty good and doesn't need a full correction.  I need the engine compartment steam cleaned (or whatever they do these days) and would like to at least have the underside steam cleaned/power washed, whatever, in case this car ends up on BaT.

I'm in the Burlington area but don't mind travelling.

Thanks!

Wally

18 hours ago, YoungCR said:

I haven't personally used Connor but he's highly recommended around the Madison area. He regularly does exotics and Pebble Beach concurs cars.

http://www.chdetailing.com/services/

@i_love_cars has a guy around Milwaukee he regularly uses for his fleet. 

Jordan's guy is Robbie's Detailing

https://www.facebook.com/robbiescustomdetaling/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

After those pictures it went on consignment at Gateway Classic Cars Milwaukee location (which is actually in Kenosha, but whatever).  The guys there shit when they saw it, Ruben and his crew did that good a job on it.

It sold within three weeks for more than I originally expected out of it, despite their poor pictures and relatively poor description.  Seeing as they tack their commission on top, they must have gotten a lot for it.  Well, a lot for an e21, borderline e30 money.  The car is being shipped to California, at least that's what they told me.

It kind of sucks I had to sell that car, but it was a poor choice from the beginning.  I should have bought a less nice one with more miles so I wouldn't be afraid to drive it.

• 2 weeks later...

Question: How do you know a salesman is ________?

Long story short, the car is NOT sold.  I got a call some two weeks after going in to sign the paperwork, title, etc that was supposed to be "come pick up your check" instead it was " there's a problem".  Now I have a car setting over there on a signed (open) title and no insurance with all the spare parts including a minty set of wheels in the trunk.

Yes, I did specifically ask if there was any financing involved that might cause the deal to fall through and I was assured there was no financing involved and it was a done deal.

Edited by wally509
removed a word

Not exactly a storage fee.  There was a $400 fee for them to do the walkaround video and IMO not very good pictures and then do all the listings.  That's for a 3 month term, then if it doesn't sell, you can re-up for additional 3 month terms for no charge for up to one year.  You can see the pictures on the Gateway Classic Cars Milwaukee website.  They were taken indoors under sodium lamps, flash wash out, let's zoom up on the one rusty bolt that the car has, etc.  No mention in the ad of it being a factory sport package, etc.

There's no need to comment on their asking price, not my idea and that's their procedure.

I don't know if it has 100% fallen through but I was told the 30-day buyers contract expires next week,  I don't know if they collected a deposit.

My plan it to Bring A Trailer it if this doesn't work by next May or so.

• 2 months later...

Thanks, eh.

Needless to say it's still for sale at the consignment place.  They have it priced in the stratosphere but insist it's priced correctly.  I wanted to argue with them but a US spec '82 320is recently sold on BaT for like $35,000.  It was a nicer car than mine but who knows.  E21's selling for more than $10 or $15k??  The world has officially gone crazy.

3 hours ago, wally509 said:

Thanks, eh.

Needless to say it's still for sale at the consignment place.  They have it priced in the stratosphere but insist it's priced correctly.  I wanted to argue with them but a US spec '82 320is recently sold on BaT for like $35,000.  It was a nicer car than mine but who knows.  E21's selling for more than $10 or $15k??  The world has officially gone crazy.

seems like there is no real reason to do anything but just sit on the car forever waiting for the value to 'rise'. 

do you have this for sale privately, at the same time? you have the photos now, and you paid for them, so you should use them.

No.  The contract is pretty clear about having it for sale "on the side".  Basically if you pull the car before the contract is over, you owe them the commission.  They also have a clause that if you sell it to someone who saw it at Gateway after the fact, you owe them the commission.  Not sure how they would ever enforce that.

I just signed up for another 3 month term with them, which doesn't cost anything.  It it isn't sold by May when this three month term is over, I will probably yank it and send it through BaT.

2 hours ago, wally509 said:

No.  The contract is pretty clear about having it for sale "on the side".  Basically if you pull the car before the contract is over, you owe them the commission.  They also have a clause that if you sell it to someone who saw it at Gateway after the fact, you owe them the commission.  Not sure how they would ever enforce that.

I just signed up for another 3 month term with them, which doesn't cost anything.  It it isn't sold by May when this three month term is over, I will probably yank it and send it through BaT.

i'm not advocating breaking legal contracts, i'm just curious on the actual law and enforceability of the consignment contracts - considering the item is your property.  if you'd want the car back, lets say for a legitimate reason like you've suddenly landed a new job and had to move in one month,  I can't imagine they could legally make you pay the commission to get your car back.

is the commission a percentage of sale or just $xxx dollars over the minimum sale price?  if you really wanted it sold and broke the contract by selling privately, but only sold it for $50 over that minimum price, is that all you legally owe them?

also, if you don't feel like divulging answers to financial questions, please feel free to tell me to kick rocks.

Not at all, I greatly appreciate any and all input about selling this car.  I have a tendency to just give things away to get rid of quick and move on.  Unfortunately, in my current situation I can't afford to do that with this one so thanks for taking the time.

Their contract states the commission is to be a MINIMUM of 12.5% of the asking price or $2500, whichever is higher, so in this case $2500.

I went into this thinking that I needed to store the car anyway since I already bought something else (non BMW 😞 ) and my garage is full.  If they could sell it for what I needed to get out of it, then great, if they couldn't, then I just got 6 months of heated indoor storage for $395.