WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Your 3 Car Garage

SteelBlue

32 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

Realistic:

Daily: e34 touring with either u.s. or euro s50, depending on how much I would actually want to spend.

Truck: FJ60 Land cruiser with a diesel swap, so either duramax v8 or Cummins 6bt

Fun: Lotus 7

Dream:

Daily: Porsche 991 GT3 touring, with the 6-speed

Truck: ICON Bronco, or for a truck with towing capacity, a f-350 platinum non-dually. I’ve also always thought that a military M934a2 converted to a camper with a more modern power train and gearing to keep up with traffic would be awesome for a camping/over landing vehicle. Fully expanded, there’s some serious room in that thing.

Fun: Ferrari 458 Speciale

Better hurry, they are rusting fast or else super expensive.  I paid 800$ for mine about 10 years ago but driving it in the rain you get wet if that gives you an idea of condition.  Stick with the stock powertrain and enjoy the scenery.  A 6BT is way overkill and you lose the simplicity.  Part of the beauty of LandCruisers is that it was intended to be fixed with a hammer and pliers in the African desert.

I don't recommend this but I towed about 6000lbs with mine from Platteville Wisconsin to Albert Lea Minnesota, about 300 miles pretty much never letting up on the gas pedal for 5 or 6 hours, it never gets hot and just keeps chugging along.  Normal unloaded fuel mileage is about 12mpg and that trip I got 11.5mpg.  How does that even work?  I literally had the gas pedal floored, secondary wide open the entire time.  Climbing away from the Mississippi river I was in 2nd gear.  I've heard it said that it's better to think of it as a fast tractor than a slow truck.  But crawling through the woods, that's where it shines.  

Also to test it's durability and my patience my wife drove about 20 miles in low range before our daughter said "mom don't you need to shift the small stick?"  She somehow was going 35 in low range which must have been just about at the 4k rpm redline.  Only problem it caused was bubbling over the power steering reservoir.

7UbkjVK.jpg?1

xk9jbMO.jpg

My realistic 3

Daily: black e36

Truck: FJ60

Fun/daily: Z3 M coupe

Dream 3

Daily: E36 sedan that is in my semi trialer storage shed

Truck: FJ60

Fun: E30 M3

On 9/19/2019 at 12:54 PM, SteelBlue said:

Flame me, but I think the Countach is overrated.

Maybe it's because that wasn't my generation "poster Lamborghini"

Totally, and @REKIII already beat me to the reply. Thus, when I listed it as a dream, I would want a scratch rebuild using more modern materials and construction methods. A countach is a good example of never meet your hero, in person they are pretty down right terrible, but the overall the aesthetics are always impactful.

19 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Fun:  Alfa Romeo 8c Monza by Pur Sang

You kind sir need a monocle and a handlebar 'stashe for such a machine. Lovely pick.

52 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Better hurry, they are rusting fast or else super expensive.  I paid 800$ for mine about 10 years ago but driving it in the rain you get wet if that gives you an idea of condition.  Stick with the stock powertrain and enjoy the scenery.  A 6BT is way overkill and you lose the simplicity.  Part of the beauty of LandCruisers is that it was intended to be fixed with a hammer and pliers in the African desert.

I don't recommend this but I towed about 6000lbs with mine from Platteville Wisconsin to Albert Lea Minnesota, about 300 miles pretty much never letting up on the gas pedal for 5 or 6 hours, it never gets hot and just keeps chugging along.  Normal unloaded fuel mileage is about 12mpg and that trip I got 11.5mpg.  How does that even work?  I literally had the gas pedal floored, secondary wide open the entire time.  Climbing away from the Mississippi river I was in 2nd gear.  I've heard it said that it's better to think of it as a fast tractor than a slow truck.  But crawling through the woods, that's where it shines.  

Also to test it's durability and my patience my wife drove about 20 miles in low range before our daughter said "mom don't you need to shift the small stick?"  She somehow was going 35 in low range which must have been just about at the 4k rpm redline.  Only problem it caused was bubbling over the power steering reservoir.

My thought process behind the swap would be added speed so that it wouldn't suck for interstate driving. I like the 2F's, they're certainly reliable and good for off road work, but they're lacking in the speed department, especially when you start loading up the truck, getting into larger tires, etc. Maybe I wouldn't need it, and I'd likely drive it stock for awhile if I ended up with one, but for what I'd want from it (a tough, capable truck to take on longer camping/canoeing trips, with some tow capability mixed in if possible) a swap seems to make some sense. I've never driven one faster than 15 or so though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I also forgot to add that an Alpina B10 Biturbo needs to make it on my list somewhere, definite bucket list car. Maybe someday it could be an attainable summer daily/fun car, they're not super crazy expensive. 

2 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Make that your college graduation present before they do get expensive!

My parents like me, but not that much lol. I’d have to do some serious brownnosing to pull that off. 

Im hoping they stay reasonable-ish for the foreseeable future, they’re cool but I feel like they’re also a bit niche unless you’re a bmw guy

On 9/20/2019 at 5:13 PM, P_Roloff said:

My thought process behind the swap would be added speed so that it wouldn't suck for interstate driving. I like the 2F's, they're certainly reliable and good for off road work, but they're lacking in the speed department, especially when you start loading up the truck, getting into larger tires, etc. Maybe I wouldn't need it, and I'd likely drive it stock for awhile if I ended up with one, but for what I'd want from it (a tough, capable truck to take on longer camping/canoeing trips, with some tow capability mixed in if possible) a swap seems to make some sense. I've never driven one faster than 15 or so though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I also forgot to add that an Alpina B10 Biturbo needs to make it on my list somewhere, definite bucket list car. Maybe someday it could be an attainable summer daily/fun car, they're not super crazy expensive. 

Mine can hold 65-70mph up hills.  I have 235/85R16 mud tires so about 32 inch but narrow.  It was terrible when i got it because of vacuum leaks and other minor problems.  I get passed on the interstate a lot so I take the back roads.  However it isn't so bad that you can't go on the highway if necessary.  The problem I see is that even if I could go faster it is an old truck and I have gotten it up to 75 or so a few times and the whole thing just feels loose and like you should slow down which won't change with more power, partly I'm sure because mine is lifted about 4".  But you need more lift than that to fit a 6bt.  Pretty sure you need to spring over swap which is a whole ordeal in itself.