WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Partiallypurplevisuallyviolet - Daytona M3 Build Thread

Partiallypurple

4 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

did you use a new clip?

make sure the fork was aligned properly? and make sure it wasnt worn through?

insert the clutch slave into the bellhousing at a straight angle? (that's what she said)

use the correct TOB?

New clip, didn’t make sure the fork was aligned properly to be honest. Kind of stupid of myself. Didn’t have any problems with the last slave on my other e36 so I figure it was as easy as screwing on and making sure it’s tight. Going to make sure everything is perfect before I even look at that clutch pedal this time 

2 hours ago, Partiallypurple said:

New clip, didn’t make sure the fork was aligned properly to be honest. Kind of stupid of myself. Didn’t have any problems with the last slave on my other e36 so I figure it was as easy as screwing on and making sure it’s tight. Going to make sure everything is perfect before I even look at that clutch pedal this time 

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be given this is a 1J, but when the fork is lined up correctly, the slave should sit off the bell housing a little as the dowel is pressing into the arm.

6 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be given this is a 1J, but when the fork is lined up correctly, the slave should sit off the bell housing a little as the dowel is pressing into the arm.

Correct, it takes some pushing to get the slave to sit flush on the back of the trans

• 2 weeks later...

Well a whole new clutch setup later and throwout bearing and we are finally back up and running! Spent the day deep cleaning all the interior panels, deciding what was good enough to keep and what had to go! Also made a shift boot/cage for the CAE. Going to wrap it in alcanatara suede but the brushed aluminum isn’t bad till I park the car for winter soon. 

6FA21B7E-6741-42BF-AEBA-D3B9B3E49B32.jpeg

58B880A6-AF0D-4AC3-A83A-65FE13CC046F.jpeg

69CD2F4A-DCB4-4D85-8C67-6440C6CC6038.jpeg

51A53FA7-F0F5-4E72-AFEB-D8ED7285EC3C.jpeg

50F5F831-6955-410A-B52D-18A7DFDBC48F.jpeg

A2FD1DF2-F278-47A8-BDBC-3A47D555EC28.jpeg

On 10/7/2019 at 10:35 AM, Jdesign said:

CAE is a life changer. are you planning on keeping it aluminum or will you darken that up a bit too?

Which part? The part I made is getting wrapped, the shifter itself will stay as is with probably a white knob to match the letters on the seats and steering wheel. The aluminum should match the lips of the wheels 

11 hours ago, Partiallypurple said:

Which part? The part I made is getting wrapped, the shifter itself will stay as is with probably a white knob to match the letters on the seats and steering wheel. The aluminum should match the lips of the wheels 

The shaft. 🤭

It just doesn't seem like there is any other raw aluminum in the interior. 

On 10/9/2019 at 8:17 AM, Jdesign said:

The shaft. 🤭

It just doesn't seem like there is any other raw aluminum in the interior. 

There is now! Just picked these up from a local tire shop they had sitting in the back in a box from the early 90’s. They used to be a MOMO distributor back in the day. Super neat score that’ll match the Recaro Momo Special and fit the period correct theme I’m going for. Also the cage is currently polished/cleared. I can’t find any other pictures or anything on these pedals

66EE501E-9B60-4299-989C-5C721E03D466.jpeg

4C41F09A-A8E9-4B8B-AC3C-E3A15A74B0F6.jpeg

2 hours ago, Partiallypurple said:

There is now! Just picked these up from a local tire shop they had sitting in the back in a box from the early 90’s. They used to be a MOMO distributor back in the day. Super neat score that’ll match the Recaro Momo Special and fit the period correct theme I’m going for. Also the cage is currently polished/cleared. I can’t find any other pictures or anything on these pedals

66EE501E-9B60-4299-989C-5C721E03D466.jpeg

4C41F09A-A8E9-4B8B-AC3C-E3A15A74B0F6.jpeg

This is pretty sick

WOAH.. that brings me back. 

So oddly, my very first car had a very similar set of those Circa 2004. The guy I bought it from was best friends with the owner of LINK motorsports back in the day. He got a bunch of free parts for the car that was sitting on the shelf. Sadly, this also meant the car was a pile of mismatched parts. Red seats, blue harnesses, red faded to brown steering wheel, etc. I ended up selling my pedals to some kid years ago, nowhere NEAR as clean as those. 

Congrats on your find!

• 2 weeks later...

Well not related to the Daytona. But picked up a Mauritiusbleu metallic 318i individual that has been sitting in a storage unit since 01’. Hasn’t seen daylight in 18 years. Originally ordered in Canada it spent its entire life in New Mexico. The thing is flawless underneath and has no rust. Excited to daily drive it and give it the love it needs. A deep cleaning, a buff, new fender and hood on the way! Was originally parked because the owner was leaving his marine base driving it to wisconsin home and got into a minor accident. Parked it, and here we are 18 years later. 

5A122B81-8196-4044-8DB2-B27A45D2BF44.jpeg

B3DAC93E-C1F7-4240-9228-EA3F980C5AFE.jpeg

6287D398-60C2-4286-8A6D-5D767745DD7C.jpeg

620330B0-01E8-4BC0-89DA-C0E9057332A4.jpeg

So after contacting International BMW where I know a manager, I got the word that the car was in Germany from 1993-1998. It spent almost all of its miles there and has all the service history of the car documented. The guy I bought it off must’ve been misinformed on the history of where the car was originally from. The service booklet had some really cool brochures in it and a bunch of other stuff like this cool napkin. Super pumped about finding this car. 

B87D7679-EAE6-4FF4-943F-2F296071B361.jpeg

CDC904FB-B418-4604-85B4-5DB710ACD802.jpeg

B6467F66-5A98-4259-89A6-61C8E77D8041.jpeg