WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Partiallypurplevisuallyviolet - Daytona M3 Build Thread

Partiallypurple

Figured I would start a build thread for the M3. I’ve owned this car for about two months now and have huge plans for his car over the winter. I plan to do a period correct build and a “restoration”. This car is pretty rough around the edges in my opinion so I’m going to do a full respray of the Daytona this winter, and replace all aged parts with new OEM stuff. Trim/seals/any plastic. At the same time I’ll also be adding some proper quality upgrades to the car. 

To start off, the car is a 1995 Daytona M3 that came with the Lux package/dove interior. I had boughten the car off of a local guy who had recently done a 1JZ heart transplant. It’s a VVTI JZX110 single turbo from a Mk2 chaser. The swap was done very very properly with all custom mounts and a custom harness. Still has the ZF trans. My plan power terrain wise for now is to keep it as is, as it’s plenty of power to have fun in and beat the crap out of. Maybe in the future I’ll go with a big single, but for now, I’m content. 

The car is sitting on 1990’s HRE 527 2 piece wheels with hidden hardware, and BC coilovers. It has brand new OEM M3 calipers all around and Toyo tires. My first major thing I had done was I had a roll bar custom made out of chromoly for the car with beautiful tig welds. While this was being made I had ordered a MKAH Motorsports rear seat delete and wrapped it in Alcantara Suede. (This thing was a pain in the ass to get it to fit and was pretty bunk for $600) but I think it came out pretty good after all said and done. Other quick mods I’ve done in the past month or two include buying Recaro SE seats that I found for sale in Las Vegas brand new only used for a few drives ever. In my opinion a perfect fit, as the seats are from the 90’s and labeled as a “comfort sport” seat. -What m3 is all about. Earlier this week I had also boughten a Momo Recaro Special steering wheel that is also near new, a really awesome find from Australia. I plan to save the current blue fabric for if I ever sell it and re-wrap the center in black seat material to match the Recaro’s perfectly. Also last week picked up a CD43 Business CD to retain the OEM+ lookZ Other than that, the car currently has a ACS rear window spoiler, a BFI industries shift knob, and I’ve changed the interior to the black vinyl door panels and a armrestless center console. I have a million more things I plan to do in the near future and will be updating this as often as I remember. 

D663D239-D9BB-42D4-AED0-FA89166C6239.jpeg

2EBC137A-0C8F-45B0-AB87-19612DF40FD5.jpeg

F6898870-6889-4A47-8961-3AFA062720C2.jpeg

4AB360FC-E42C-4765-A9F4-0BB591F0366D.jpeg

49D7D713-CBBE-4528-B757-401CCF092E92.jpeg

561E5B17-E989-4BB0-82A7-F119A8427D7A.jpeg

92855C97-7754-4C72-BEF7-550532B17EAD.jpeg

CE809C1B-6780-4851-BEB9-91FD7C2922EC.jpeg

E436B7F1-DF19-4A4B-846C-BB6C12182D54.jpeg

833E8F85-67BB-4C28-8A51-8A4F07CC8245.jpeg

52704F24-2078-4E89-BA8C-2AEB2238A83D.jpeg

D125B9ED-0C16-4073-89E7-33D5614815EC.jpeg

835A8DB5-25C5-4F8C-B30B-8D3E78B76A94.jpeg

7BCBCB09-0548-4362-B688-CA9E5D44E540.jpeg

5F9ADFE3-B7F9-48AA-B5EA-9529D0520C8B.jpeg

17 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

Yeah those seats are proper. I bet this thing will hoon pretty well. The welds on the half cage look decent too, hopefully it won't kill you in the event of a crash. 😂

I had the cage made by Structure Fab and Design in West Allis and they did an amazing job. I would highly recommend them to anyone who needs any metal work done 👍🏼

87F3A6CF-46CD-475E-840F-6F27EFE3CF75.png

Smelt clutch driving the car around yesterday. Hit boost a few times, and nothing felt out of the ordinary. Clutch release point was perfect as always, so I was confused. 

Ended up losing the pedal randomly going about 10 mph when I tried to shift to second. Pedal stick to the floor and I have to pull it back up. No pressure. Can’t put car in gear with the car running. 

Opened bleed screw on the slave and pressed pedal and fluid shot out. (Master seems fine, still connected to pedal, no leaks)

Took slave off and checked the pressure on the rod. Rod is super hard to push in, nothing like my other bad slave in my 323 from last winter. Clamped it shut and tried pressing the pedal and the pedal was rock solid. No leaks on the slave. (Assuming slave is not a problem) 

Tried pushing fork in with screwdriver and it still has pressure but is sitting high up out of place. 

I’m assuming the clutch pivot pin is completely worn out of failed in someway. Going to take tranny out next weekend. Still confused on why I got the clutch smell, and I find it weird for my clutch to feel fantastic and then to lose my pedal randomly. 

In good news my new part should be here this week and you have to lower the tranny for it so I can knock two stones out in one day. Hope it’s just the pivot pin, ordering a stainless one today from bimmerworld.

09520FCB-9C8F-4E75-9415-4354BE30BE97.jpeg

Well this thing is beautiful.... Cannot wait to money shift and blow my motor. Jk, super excited. Quality is amazing, I’ve been wanting one of these for a very long time. 

I’m really trying to not cut any corners in this interior. The cockpit of the car is where you spend all of your time, and it’s very important that it’s done right. It’s all about the driving experience! I feel that so many people overlook the interior of a car and only focus on the exterior. I want to love driving my car as much as I love looking at it :)

6EDBEBBE-F1FC-4F67-B105-4040A0687EF9.jpeg

14 hours ago, Partiallypurple said:

Well this thing is beautiful.... Cannot wait to money shift and blow my motor. Jk, super excited. Quality is amazing, I’ve been wanting one of these for a very long time. 

I’m really trying to not cut any corners in this interior. The cockpit of the car is where you spend all of your time, and it’s very important that it’s done right. It’s all about the driving experience! I feel that so many people overlook the interior of a car and only focus on the exterior. I want to love driving my car as much as I love looking at it :)

6EDBEBBE-F1FC-4F67-B105-4040A0687EF9.jpeg

fuuuuuuuuuuu

After feeling a self centering shifter, I need one.

So went to remove trans yesterday. Had a hell of a time with the 1JZ starter. Was not fun to reach. Got it off and the problem was just what I expected. A worn pivot pin. After spending all day in the rain removing the trans and putting it back in I was nearing completion.. installing the slave ready to be done. Pressed the clutch and the slave blew it’s been piston and rod into the trans. Had to take it off and put it back on again. Hopefully today the slave will decide to line up properly 

745472B8-6582-4AB1-9121-3B2BDABD9936.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Partiallypurple said:

So went to remove trans yesterday. Had a hell of a time with the 1JZ starter. Was not fun to reach. Got it off and the problem was just what I expected. A worn pivot pin. After spending all day in the rain removing the trans and putting it back in I was nearing completion.. installing the slave ready to be done. Pressed the clutch and the slave blew it’s been piston and rod into the trans. Had to take it off and put it back on again. Hopefully today the slave will decide to line up properly 

745472B8-6582-4AB1-9121-3B2BDABD9936.jpeg

Welcome to the club lol I’d love to know what the reason for this happening is. Too much air in the line?