WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 Brake Set Up

SteelBlue

Question

What is everyone running on their E30s?

I'm looking for a brake set up that is good for street use and light auto crossing(yes, I plan to autocross a stock M20). I hate brake squeal, so that is a big thing I'm trying to avoid.

I was thinking maybe something along the lines of this kit. Normal blank rotors, more aggressive pads, and SS brake lines. Pretty mild upgrade.

8 answers to this question

I have e30 m3 brakes on my car so maybe not 100% comparable, BUT I really like the stoptech sport pads on blank rotors that I am currently running. I haven't felt like I needed more brakes in auto-x with that setup (from a 'non-competitive' perspective) and they haven't made any noise in street driving. They do leave some dust but it's not crazy.

I think @straight6pwr uses the same pad on stock e30 brakes? Can't remember for sure. 

i do, indeed.

e30s have really good brakes for everyday/autox so the upgrades you're planning are perfect.

I went with SS lines all around, stock blank rotors,  ATE super blue 200 fluid, and StopTech Sport pads.

car stops WAAAAY better than with the stock worn out stuff. its the first time i've upgraded brakes on an e30 and subsequently the first time i've ever had decent grab with light pedal modulation. night and day.

325i racecar : stock blank rotors (whatever OEM I can get cheap, currently Zimmermans...FCP Euro lifetime replacement), rubber lines, PFC-08 (Performance Friction) front and rear pads, ATE amber fluid, Bimmerworld brake cooling kit. Takes it from accelerator pegged to the floor on a straight to however slow I need to go to make a turn.

318is street only: stock blanks (don't remember, maybe Duralast?), rubber lines, Textar OEM pads, ATE Amber.  

When I used to autocross in the early 2000s I used Hawk HPS (meh),  go with the Stoptech. Avoid Hawk HP+,  car will sound like a old garbage truck, and not good for track use if you're so inclined especially once you pick up speed. Drop off is alarming fast.

I run stock blanks, new rubber lines and Pagid Red pads (bought from bavauto before they went under, not sure if you can still get them) on my e30. They aren’t noisy and stand up fine to spirited backroad driving, I’m sure they’d probably be fine for autocross too. They’re pretty dusty though if that’s a concern of yours.