WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The One That Didn't Get Away [100K Mile E30 325is]

SteelBlue

18 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

I know most people would opt for a different motor than the M20, but I’ve really been enjoying it. Really great for the casual cruising and still comes alive above 5k. I also have the weird dichotomy of loving fast cars, but don't really have the need for speed much.

That's exactly why I decided to spend money on refreshing the M20 rather than doing a swap. IMO, the amount of power is perfect. You can give it the beans and have a ton of fun on the backroads while not overly exceeding the speed limit. When I had my "stage 2" S60R it was too easy to go too fast. And at the end of the day, what was the point of it? In that second it was a lot of fun, but what I could have done to myself (with 3 kids) or someone else wasn't worth it. I sold it shortly after having that revelation. 

Rebuilding my m20 gave me a lot of respect for the engine and its place in the car. 

1 minute ago, gilber33 said:

That's exactly why I decided to spend money on refreshing the M20 rather than doing a swap. IMO, the amount of power is perfect. You can give it the beans and have a ton of fun on the backroads while not overly exceeding the speed limit. When I had my "stage 2" S60R it was too easy to go too fast. And at the end of the day, what was the point of it? In that second it was a lot of fun, but what I could have done to myself (with 3 kids) or someone else wasn't worth it. I sold it shortly after having that revelation. 

Rebuilding my m20 gave me a lot of respect for the engine and its place in the car. 

I'm going to be doing a lot of reviewing your thread down the road.

3 minutes ago, B C said:

Yellow text on a white background is horrid.

That being said, this is very interesting. I see they suggest a WAR chip or running MS in addition to bigger injectors. If the WAR chip is an acceptable ECU tune, that would be prefer over going complete stand alone.

WAR chip is acceptable on an OBD1 E36, but junk on an E30. The MAF conversion is very problematic. MS2 plug and play is just fine. Get it setup correctly and a dyno tune and you shouldnt have to touch it anymore and have a much better diagnostic and logging  ability. The drivability and throttle response improvement are worth it alone on a stock M20

3 hours ago, B C said:

WAR chip is acceptable on an OBD1 E36, but junk on an E30. The MAF conversion is very problematic. MS2 plug and play is just fine. Get it setup correctly and a dyno tune and you shouldnt have to touch it anymore and have a much better diagnostic and logging  ability. The drivability and throttle response improvement are worth it alone on a stock M20

The war chip is junk in general. Don't bother. 

Here is how it will play out: you grab a bimmerheads ported and polished rebuilt head with a cam, attach some ceramic coated headers while you are at it, Drop that in sometime in June.  then work on a stroker bottom end build and preparing for MS2 over the winter.

i kno, rite?

32 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Orrrrrrrr, k24 swap it & add cams. Better weight balance, more power, wasn’t brought to the US on the mayflower, etc. 

reading this for 245hp makes my wallet cry 

5459A129-6079-4211-95E0-5C3D271B7908.jpeg

/roastme

I honestly wonder what the cost difference would really be between building the M20 already in your car vs swapping a K24. The adapter plate is like $1500 alone. 

1 hour ago, HipMF said:

Oil pump location on the K motor is right in the middle of the subframe on an e21/e30. Not that it can't be done, but it's not pretty and there is some fabrication involved.

Luckily kmiata exists and takes the headache out of the swap. The e30 k swap is much simpler than the Miata k swap. 

1 hour ago, SteelBlue said:

I'd rather stay with the M20 platform at this point.

My original point was with the time/cost you’ll sink into a high strung 3.1L m20 would probably be close to putting a k in. Not to say the K is a cheap swap, but neither is building a motor. 

that being said my vote would still be do whatever you want because a high strung stroker m20 sounds sweet 

3 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

My original point was with the time/cost you’ll sink into a high strung 3.1L m20 would probably be close to putting a k in. Not to say the K is a cheap swap, but neither is building a motor. 

that being said my vote would still be do whatever you want because a high strung stroker m20 sounds sweet 

Completely understand, it would definitely be a pricey build. I very much like the idea of retaining the M20, while being a modified variant, would adhere to the vast majority of maintenance, repairs, and trouble shooting sequences for a normal M20 

3 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

I vote m20 stroker because it is OEM + and I am all for OEM +

I agree.

11 hours ago, m42b32 said:

With a car as clean and low mileage as yours I'd definitely be inclined to keep the original engine. There is absolutely no shame in liking an M20, they're pretty hard to hate! I'd love one to play around with again at some point. 

I totally agree that M20's (and the M30) are some of the best sounding BMW engines too, anything newer has absolutely nothing on them. 

The M30 is one of my favorite engines and I would absolutely buy a 535i just because of that but I also take exception to that last sentence...

3 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

The M30 is one of my favorite engines and I would absolutely buy a 535i just because of that but I also take exception to that last sentence...

I'm glad to see the  boat anchor is still going strong in this group!

I think doing any engine swap on this car is dumb.
It is a low mileage, low owner vehicle. While I do believe you should enjoy the vehicles you buy, I think if you wanted to build something swapped I would sell this one and build it off the profits. 

Just now, GunMetalGrey said:

I'm glad to see the  boat anchor is still going strong in this group!

I think doing any engine swap on this car is dumb.
It is a low mileage, low owner vehicle. While I do believe you should enjoy the vehicles you buy, I think if you wanted to build something swapped I would sell this one and build it off the profits. 

Technically he does have another shell 

Here's my YouTube click baity post of the week. Going to be picking up something for the car in Madison this weekend that I kind of fell backwards into. Something I've wanted for a long time, and, even appears to be the same color as my car. Also a great deal that I couldn't pass up.

Insert capitalized words and exclamation points where you see fit.