WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The One That Didn't Get Away [100K Mile E30 325is]

SteelBlue

After talking with @MPW3RLee, he had suggested just having their wheel touch up guy at the shop take care of them after he got the tires mounted on the new wheels.

They came out great, look brand new. Saved me a ton of time and sanding working as well.

6D260685-0A1B-4F0E-ACED-87DE10AB743F.jpeg

A74D79E9-49BF-4DD5-9002-EF9F8F5294A9.jpeg

1698A2F4-6025-42F0-8430-EEC3969FA6FE.jpeg

I’m really happy with the result. These feel much more appropriate on the car. I think I’ll even be able to run the center waffles if I want to.

I am still waiting on the rear set. But seeing as I’m going to be up north for a week, figured I’d get these now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of pictures highlighting the front as the rear fenders are getting rolled tomorrow. Can’t help myself but drive with the 16s up front and the 14s on the rear, love driving the car too much.

67533510-6EF7-4F0C-8CB8-6B4048C25A42.jpeg

28B45E57-26BD-4127-AFF3-A4F6F8BEF40E.jpeg

And my drunk purchase that I didn’t know I made until I got the notification the next day.

C697D9C9-B8C2-49CE-8E3A-ACAB5FD6F3B2.jpeg

2 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

those wheels look great!

dont forget to keep the appropriate tools in the car if you ever intend on changing a flat on the road. its a pain in the ass it is to remove the front adapters with a wrench/breaker once torqued down!

Good call.

• 2 weeks later...

Car had a full paint correction done on by Auto Trim Design in Neenah. After getting the car to my parents garage, spent the next couple of days costing the car in Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light and then topped with EXO V3. This should last me probably over 2 years with proper washing and no winter driving. I also coated the wheels.

Paint correction and the coating have made it very red. Pictures really don’t do it justice how good it looks. If you’re still using waxes on your cars, make the switch. It’s very easy to apply.

At Road America for Indy Car this weekend:

1BC14992-3F59-405F-B30E-8237C4BF4AF3.jpeg

F9F478DE-EBE3-41E1-B008-8CF979293193.jpeg

23862461-1ACE-470D-92EF-80F15B48189D.jpeg

CC619119-551D-4FD6-A658-1909FA703895.jpeg

23 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Looks great. 

still don’t buy into all the ceramic coating snake oil shit though 

It depends where you are looking and what you're reading. After I applied and saw the results, I understand why the shift is being made within the industry.

That being said, there is a lot of junk out there. Buy from reputable companies and do research like anything else.

2 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

It depends where you are looking and what you're reading. After I applied and saw the results, I understand why the shift is being made within the industry.

That being said, there is a lot of junk out there. Buy from reputable companies and do research like anything else.

I’m getting my info from the evo in the garage that had a 2year ceramic pro professionally applied And lasted all of 4/5 months with regular washing.

the only way this stuff lasts 2 years is if it’s parked in the garage And the car is lightly used on the weekends. So at the price point it hits (when being professionally installed) a decent wax does the same thing. 

On 7/14/2020 at 3:01 PM, KaiserRolls said:

I’m getting my info from the evo in the garage that had a 2year ceramic pro professionally applied And lasted all of 4/5 months with regular washing.

the only way this stuff lasts 2 years is if it’s parked in the garage And the car is lightly used on the weekends. So at the price point it hits (when being professionally installed) a decent wax does the same thing. 

Guess will wait and see, never coated a car before. I did my first wash last night and it made life really easy. Was able to blow dry 95% of the car before I used my drying aid spray and towels.

Going to Cars and Coffee at Throttle Stop tomorrow.

Got my Covercraft dash mat the other day. I didn't to use any Velcro on my dash, but after driving with it just resting on the dash with the windows down, I think I could get away with some painters taped rolled into loops for securing it. Want the contact between the dash to be as non-abrasive as possible and just sitting on the dash it didn't seem to have issues with staying put.

Figure not worth bumping my F30 thread, more paint correction and paint related work. Did a full decon wash on the car last night, strip wash, iron remover, and then clay barred. Finished my taping off the car once in the garage to make the following day easier.

Went down to Cars and Coffee at Throttle Stop in Elkhart Lake with my buddy bright and early. Some pics:

B2B41B24-E0C5-4641-A6C2-E654243B834C.jpeg

3F8D5729-140D-4E70-862F-4750B46E7519.jpeg

D5CC99EA-8229-45E7-B0BF-581D3E1B321F.jpeg

^This guy is actually one of the SVP’s at my work.

E562B048-00AC-47A9-A431-E685AC8BF00F.jpeg

We got back to tackle the car round 11, finished around 2:30. We did a polish with Sonax Perfect Finish, two people with polishers really makes this a breeze. We then sealed the car with Jescar Powerlock. This stuff is a breeze to buff off. Finally, we topped it off with Colonite 845 wax. Probably would have coated this car as well, but I don’t think I would have had enough to do the full car and my buddy had all of the stuff to do this method. Really happy with how it came out, car looks wet and the metallic really came out again. 

This car was long overdue for some for exterior love. Do have a fair amount of little knicks and chips, highway driving will do that. Front bumper is pretty beat, but my plan is to replace it at some point with an M Tech one as I think I’m going to stick with this car for some time. Turbo replacement has to be coming up soon...

93933671-B7E6-4177-9257-0417DA4C7967.jpeg

47705CD1-9C3B-4418-83F0-9A067B9D20DC.jpeg

9CFAE92F-B1D4-48A7-8FBD-B0B5AC737CDA.jpeg

**Some of these pics look like shit because something was on my lens, I’ll take some better ones later.**

Having both cars dialed in is such a good feeling.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been enjoying driving the car as of recently.

E30 at Dusk

Don't really know if there's any other plans for this year other than a couple of maintenance things that I haven't had time to do. Maybe tidying up the spoiler fitment a little more. Gotta start looking for winter storage options.

Next year will probably be exhaust, steering rack, and maybe a little more notchy short throw?

9 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

Next year will probably be exhaust, steering rack, and maybe a little more notchy short throw?

You still have the m20 in this right? What do you do for exhaust? Custom or off-the-shelf? I'd like to replace the exhaust in mine and get rid of the factory exhaust joints and go to a v-band or something. I've never been able to get a 100% seal on them. 

4 hours ago, gilber33 said:

You still have the m20 in this right? What do you do for exhaust? Custom or off-the-shelf? I'd like to replace the exhaust in mine and get rid of the factory exhaust joints and go to a v-band or something. I've never been able to get a 100% seal on them. 

Still M20. My plan is to go with Ireland Engineering long tube headers and then have my buddy who did the exhaust for my S52 fab me another custom one. My other plan is to keep the stock headers and then go for an off the shelf Billy Boat or something. I can hear exhaust leaks, so I know that essentially from the headers back, it will need to be replaced. The V bands on the S52 exhaust made taking it off when I sold it like a 10 minute job.

I don’t know if anyone on here has done a header swap while the motor is in the car, how was it? I’ve done some digging and it would appear that this should be easier than an M5X/S5X purely for the fact that they only use 2 bolts per exhaust port on the M20 as opposed to 4.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2999E23C-D880-4184-A6DF-BF6E5BDAECD1.jpeg

I’ve had my eye on these vinyl banners of vintage pictures at Road America for awhile now. Drove the E30 down to RA for the PCA event and picked one up while I was in the shop signing the form to get the RA license plates considered to be put into DMW rotation. 84”x48”, I’ll probably end up getting a couple more these when I have my own garage.

I went with the Mark Donohue driven Porsche 917/30.

• 4 weeks later...

005529BC-1FF5-4064-B89B-967D6F7E64BE.jpeg

Haven’t done anything to the car other than drive it. Got a storage unit about a minute from my house to keep it in for the winter.

Does anyone have recommendations for storing their car in a non climate controlled garage over the winter? My plan was to swap back to the stock wheels and keep the style 5s in my parents basement so the tires stay in a warmer environment. Buy a tender for the battery and fill it up with gas before parking it for the winter. 

Any other suggestions? Probably was going to put something between the tires and the concrete even though I’m not too concerned about the tires on the stock wheels.

37 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Ensure the coolant is able to handle Wisconsin winter, this can be done with a cheap "gauge" from a parts store. It's basically a pipette with a few balls in it to determine the freezing point. 
Outside of that, nothing too drastic to do.

Those wheels look oh so good!

Got it, will do.

Got something for the wheels that I’m hoping shows up before I put it away for the year.