WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The One That Didn't Get Away [100K Mile E30 325is]

SteelBlue

On 5/8/2020 at 7:56 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

The M30 is one of my favorite engines and I would absolutely buy a 535i just because of that but I also take exception to that last sentence...

I was thinking 6 cylinder engines. Anything v8 isn't a fair comparison haha

Did the LED light conversion kit on the car today. Just the interior, trunk, and number plate ones. Was able to do one number plate light as one of the screw heads was completely rusted. Was doing this at my house so didn’t have access to all my tools. Getting the license plate light on my check panel, not sure if this because there is a halogen and LED, or because the LED doesn’t register with the car. Had the same thing happen on my E46. Considering switch back because the light on the panel bothers me.

Interior dome lights are a little surgical for my liking, but do a much better job lighting the car. For the minimal amount of time they are on, it’s fine. The ash tray ones I wasn’t able to change as the LED stalk was too big for socket.

B471552F-5FA9-432B-9343-414576538DFC.jpeg
C75DCA1A-7139-4313-BF27-17C9D25287EE.jpeg
5A3F97D9-5002-49F5-BED5-5BB8BF6E304A.jpeg

TLDR:

I bought an E28 M5 spoiler. Believe it's the same color as my car.

Full, but quite the experience, story:

With not a lot to do during quarantine, been doing a lot of online window shopping for things for the E30. Found one of those "I have parts for *inset car here*, just ask me what you're looking for" type Craigslist ads. I figured why not just see what he might have, was just looking for unique/rare little bits to add to the car. He knew a guy who was selling an E28 M5 spoiler, but it was a little more than what I wanted to pay(reasonably priced for the part, just more than what I wanted to spend at the moment). Conversation stopped, but he ended up texting me like a week later saying that he actually did have one, just found it when he was going through some of his stuff. The insert was red, but was hard to tell from the pictures if it was the same red as my car. It had some blemishes, so he told me to make him an offer. I threw out a pretty low number in comparison to what these usually go for and to my surprise he accepted it. Told him I could come down Saturday and pick it up.

Saturday 5/16: Drive down to Middleton. I took a look at his address on Google maps before heading out. Looked like a small farm out in the country, so wasn't sure what to expect when getting there. Turns out the Google maps images were old, because at the end of his long, hilly driveway were two, large, brand new metal buildings. First one was in the shape of typical shop, probably 80x80 if I had to guess, and about 20 some feet tall. First car in the door was an E36 M3 on a lift, next to it was an Oldsmobile(not sure the model, 60s Camaro shaped), and next to that was Diamond Schwarz E30 M3.

IMG_7291_2.jpg

Unfortunately, this was the only picture that I took. Never seen one on Borbet type A's, but I like it. Above the car, you can see there is a loft with a ton of parts on it(as you can, there's also a motorcycle up there lol). He had like 4 M-Tech 1 wheels, Momo wheels, new old stock S38 valve cover, euro E28 interior pieces, misc E30 pieces, etc. Just tons of stuff, all of which I took a look over. On the wall behind where I took this picture, there is another loft. Had E30 and E28 hoods, doors, trunks, windows, bumpers, etc. One caught my eye that I couldn't determine which it was. Turns out it was a euro M-Tech 1 bumper that he checked as a bag on flight from Germany...

So this building was divided in two parts(you can see the wall behind the E30). The door was open between the two and saw something through that I had never seen and had no idea what it was. We take a walk through and I felt like I was transported to the Peterson Museum. There were four 4 post lifts on one wall and two on the other wall, both had cars on top and below them. Two BMW 2000 CS's, two Auto Union badged Audi's that I had never seen before, a wood panel Willy's Wagon, a Nissan S-Cargo, Oldsmobile 88, old Germany military motorcycles, other old motorcycles from manufactures I had never heard of before, and probably 8 other cars.

The second building had 5 double wide garage doors spanning the length of building and was probably 30-40' deep. Once again, walk in the door and feel like I'm in Bruce Canepa's or Bruce Myer's garage. I'm looking over a sea of what had to be like 40 cars, most of things that I could vaguely recognize or had no idea what I was looking at. There was his E28 M5 a Messerschmitt car, the classic amphibious car, old VW looking wagons but were made by someone else, that weird electric car where the whole body folds on clam shell mechanism, and 30 other old German and other foreign cars. Both of the buildings have epoxy sealed floors, insulated walls, incredible LED lighting, and are climate controlled.

It was overwhelming(in a great way), because the last thing I was expecting to find in the hills of Middleton was this incredible car collection in these amazing buildings. The M5 spoiler was honestly an after thought in all of this. We grabbed it after 20 minutes of talking and it sat on a bench until we were done walking around the rest of the buildings.

These kind of finds are the things dreams are made of. The guy couldn't have been nicer and was really a BMW nerd. I think we were there for like an hour. I don't think I'll ever have a better Craigslist transaction experience in my life. This was completely stream of conscious typing, so it's possible I'm leaving things out.

Anyway, the spoiler. In pretty good condition, definitely is worth a lot more than what I paid for it. Has a couple of chips on the ends I should be able to fix. The paint was pretty hazy, so I started to polish it to see if I could get a better idea of the color. I had an old pad that I used on the car, so I couldn't get a good cut or polish. From what I was able to do, I think it's the same color as my car, or very close to it. Very stoked on it, think it's gonna look great on the car.

IMG_7295.jpg

IMG_7292.jpg

Polished the insert and hit the rubber part with a coat of paint. Cleaned up pretty well. Needs to fix a couple spots on the insert before it’s complete.

Drilled holes in the trunk lid for the studs. It was hard to gauge how the spoiler would fit without being able to lay it flat on the trunk lid. Came out well, still need to drill or cut a hole on the underside of the trunk lid to access the far outside screws. I think I might use a combination of some double sided tape and foam tape(not exactly foam tape, but something of that nature) to close the gap at the ends. Guess will see how much the far studs will suck it closer to the lid with nuts on them. You can see how I tried to get the gap that ran the length of the trunk tighter. As a result of this, the radius of the spoiler leaves somewhat of a gap at the ends.

11D8071B-63D4-4E76-B6D1-A50567DB578E.jpeg

3E3C6BE4-5DF4-4316-971E-26AFEA2CF85E.jpeg

75F187F1-4CF8-4629-BA8F-60001824AD72.jpeg
6BE42227-5CF4-4F10-B464-4414D0EEFC27.jpeg

9A00AEAE-F566-40E7-AB96-26DDAAF026D5.jpeg

B1756082-A4EF-4868-A857-F062480BC0B5.jpeg

7 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Tail light tint looks fresh
That spoiler angle does not look fresh

There's no nuts on the far outside studs, so it's going to naturally not lay flat. I'm not sure if the radiuses of the trunk lid and the spoiler match, but when I was trying to test fit it, it was either a finger sized gap between the spoiler and the length of the trunk, or this. Like I said, it was hard to tell where to place it given the studs don't allow you to lay it flat. And without turning my trunk lid into a piece of cheese, I'm fine with making some small modifications to make it flush at the ends.

I did the turn signal lenses during lunch today. Takes away from the stark contrast of the lenses, but the light still shines through very brightly.

IMG_7311.jpg

IMG_7308.jpg

IMG_7310.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

I got the holes drilled for the far studs. Came out better than I could have hoped far. Nuts on the far side sucked the lip down, I don’t really know if you could get it any better.

36BD9849-2A4B-4F89-9C69-8D372962FBE4.jpeg

C8F3CEB5-8BE6-41BA-AD01-61B2407CED64.jpeg

The far side needs some further dialing in. I was missing the washers for the bolt that holds in the insert, so it’s not sitting completely flush. Also, I’ll need to adjust my trunk brackets on this side as it’s sitting higher than the driver side. So the gap between the spoiler and the body is more than that of the driver side.

Is it bad that I’m almost tempted to find something to buy from him to go see his stuff? I’m on the east side so it’s within 30 minutes of my house in all likelihood. 

Spoiler looks excellent, it really completes the look of the car. Are the pinstripes on the side of the car m colors?

1 hour ago, P_Roloff said:

Is it bad that I’m almost tempted to find something to buy from him to go see his stuff? I’m on the east side so it’s within 30 minutes of my house in all likelihood. 

Spoiler looks excellent, it really completes the look of the car. Are the pinstripes on the side of the car m colors?

They are just a light blue and darker blue, kind of close to the M colors but don't think it was inspired by it.

Finished up wrapping the other tail light. Really like how the rear end is turning out. Needs a little more dialing in on the spoiler and it''ll be good to go.

I would like to clean up the exhaust tips and give them a touch of high temp black paint, maybe this weekend, supposed to be pretty nice out.

I really need to space the rear out. I'm at +20 on an 8" wheel with a 225 tire. Could I go with a 10mm spacer? *edit; I supposed I could just take the two 5mm spacers I have off each of the front wheels and play with those to see what works.

IMG_7319.jpg

IMG_7320.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg

My next issue is leveling the trunk. As you can see below, the driver side sits perfectly and the passenger side sits about a half inch too high. I tried messing with the rubber adjustable stoppers under the trunk lid, but the passenger side one was already bottomed out. I tried just removing it all together, but got the same result. I don't know if that means the arms that attach to the trunk lid are slightly bent or what.

Do the bolts that hold the lid to the arms allow for any adjustment?

Driver side:

IMG_7333.jpg

Passenger side:

IMG_7334.jpg

Need a polish around the badging.

15 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if it was never level from the factory.  You might be attempting a level of exactness and execution that BMW never meant to achieve.  God speed.

I was gonna say if the paint hasn’t been damaged around the mounts then it’s always been that way or moved slightly.

2 hours ago, YoungCR said:

I was gonna say if the paint hasn’t been damaged around the mounts then it’s always been that way or moved slightly.

Doesn't look like it has. I'll have to give it a try.

*Edit; I do not have slots. I have like a pirate hook looking deal on the lower bolt.

Pic from tonight.

IMG_7352.jpg