WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The One That Didn't Get Away [100K Mile E30 325is]

SteelBlue

• 1 month later...

Posting this here to remind me what fuses to check for half the cluster not working:

The fusing for the E30 cluster is fuses 10, 12, and 21, all of which are 7.5A, brown standard blade fuse.

If this is not the case, I'll check the coolant temp sensor to see if that is operational. Tach reading is pulled from the flywheel right?

I'm also thinking that I am going to take the suspension off the Calypso car and put it on this one. Started pulling the drive train from the Calypso car last night. If you want a fully refreshed S52 with never used pressure plate, fly wheel, and clutch. 16" spal fan, CSF radiator, OBD1 intake and fuel rail, Kassel tuned ECU, etc. for $1500, let me know.

Also, the shell is for sale. Brand new fuel system, M3 steering rack, smoked smiley Depos, Mtech1 rep wing, etc. I'll be making an official posting for these once I get everything pulled. Hoping to have it done this weekend.

Getting gas last night in the red car.

IMG_6501.JPG

I know this isn’t the right thread, but doesn’t seem worth it to revive the old one. Motor should be out tomorrow, everything is disconnected, just sitting on the motor mounts. Don’t have anything going on, so should have all day to work on it. Going to try and swap the suspension tomorrow.

Current shop status:

B1020EB9-6009-49DA-9733-EF11220C85E0.jpeg

I don’t know why the quality of pictures is getting butchered when I upload them.

Swapped the suspensions on the cars last night. Took awhile as I was essentially doing the job twice. Ball bearing separator is a tool everyone must own, best $20 I’ve ever spent. Think the height is just about perfect, need to get a spacer for the rear, maybe a 5 or a 10. Running a 5 in the front, having a little bit of running when turning going over inclines so will need to roll the fenders as I do not want to raise it.

Found a little pool of oil under the car this morning. Knew it was leaking a little bit from looking under the car, but must have loosened it up a bit when I jacked the car up. Guessing it’s the oil pan gasket based on how it looks.

JOMs ride pretty well for the couple of times I took it up and down the frontage road. Planning to run these for next summer and maybe the following as this car won’t be getting a ton of miles out on it and I’m not gonna be setting any hot laps soon. Money can be better spent else where at this time.

AFF6389A-01F2-4193-AD85-2AFAB51BD219.jpeg
F2A7E9E9-3F97-4E59-A7FF-9F8454FD7F69.jpeg

@YoungCR, picture quality looks good. Thank you.

• 5 months later...

Well, after a long hiatus, the car will be finally getting some attention again. Here's your dumb fuck move of the day(well, 5 months ago now). After pulling the JOMs off the Calypso car in preparation to swap them onto the red car, I broke the oil pan. In my haste I jacked the car up by the oil pan instead of the subframe. I know, stupid, I just completely over looked this and put the jack on at nearest flat spot I found to put the jack on when it went under the car.

Fast forward to now, I contacted Auto Clinic in Neenah, the place where the previous owner had the car maintained the entirety of her ownership. To add to that, the two mechanics that have worked on the car the entire time she has owned it still work there. And on top of that, the one guy is also an E30 guy(wanted to buy this car as well). I would normally do this job on my own, but dropping a subframe to replace the oil pan on the floor, on jackstands, with the motor suspended in the air above just sounded like a better idea to pay someone to do it. I've talked to this guy on a couple of occasions and had gotten a quote on the labor to do the job(will be supplying the pan myself, thanks @patsbimmer1) and was very pleased at the price I was quoted for the work. Just glad I can have the car worked on at a business that knows the car and has people who knows the cars.

To conclude this long winded post, I'm hoping to trailer the car over to them next week at sometime. Either dolly it and take backroads or have my insurance flatbed the car( @ChrisO hopefully no issues). Helps to be friends with a guy who rents them to me after hours for a "discount". I just want it to be ready for when the weather starts be nice on a regular basis.

I'm stupid.

31 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

Well, after a long hiatus, the car will be finally getting some attention again. Here's your dumb fuck move of the day(well, 5 months ago now). After pulling the JOMs off the Calypso car in preparation to swap them onto the red car, I broke the oil pan. In my haste I jacked the car up by the oil pan instead of the subframe. I know, stupid, I just completely over looked this and put the jack on at nearest flat spot I found to put the jack on when it went under the car.

Fast forward to now, I contacted Auto Clinic in Neenah, the place where the previous owner had the car maintained the entirety of her ownership. To add to that, the two mechanics that have worked on the car the entire time she has owned it still work there. And on top of that, the one guy is also an E30 guy(wanted to buy this car as well). I would normally do this job on my own, but dropping a subframe to replace the oil pan on the floor, on jackstands, with the motor suspended in the air above just sounded like a better idea to pay someone to do it. I've talked to this guy on a couple of occasions and had gotten a quote on the labor to do the job(will be supplying the pan myself, thanks @patsbimmer1) and was very pleased at the price I was quoted for the work. Just glad I can have the car worked on at a business that knows the car and has people who knows the cars.

To conclude this long winded post, I'm hoping to trailer the car over to them next week at sometime. Either dolly it and take backroads or have my insurance flatbed the car( @ChrisO hopefully no issues). Helps to be friends with a guy who rents them to me after hours for a "discount". I just want it to be ready for when the weather starts be nice on a regular basis.

I'm stupid.

If you buy AAA they have 3 free tows a year for what 90$ a year? But you need a week for it to go into effect. 

1 hour ago, Rekpoint said:

If you buy AAA they have 3 free tows a year for what 90$ a year? But you need a week for it to go into effect. 

If I am not able to get it through my insurance and just call for a tow with a flatbed.

16 minutes ago, YoungCR said:

I can always help to around town with my suburban too if needed, just need a trailer or dolly. The body shop in Greenville usually has at least one u-haul trailer. 

I appreciate it. The only real issue with towing the car is finding the right trailer for it. I am able to use my parents to tow the car, it's just getting a hold of low car friendly trailer that isn't a dolly.

11 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

AAA is great, 4 tows a year up Thew will tow to your home or any shop.   Not always fast to get there but oh well.

Saved me last fall when my fuelpump went out in my E36. And saved @DSMDane at road america last year when his ECU blew up. Although it didn't quite get him home and they wouldn't pick his car up from the racetrack either. Ended up costing over 500$? if I remember correctly. But it would have been more if it wasn't for AAA. 

19 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

If I am not able to get it through my insurance and just call for a tow with a flatbed.

I appreciate it. The only real issue with towing the car is finding the right trailer for it. I am able to use my parents to tow the car, it's just getting a hold of low car friendly trailer that isn't a dolly.

Gotcha, If anything you can load the trailer from a curb to level out the ramps or build some small ramps out of 2x6's.  

On 4/4/2020 at 4:11 PM, KaiserRolls said:

I’ve loaded many an e30 onto uhaul trailers. Just get the tongue as high as you can and you’ll be ok

I’ve transported mine with UHAULs before, haven’t had an issue, but that was only across town. While this is only a 10 minute haul, it would mostly be on highway. I’ve contacted my insurance as I get roadside assistance, don’t think it should be that expensive. Having it flatbedded would just give me the peace of mind.

If the pan gets here this week, I’ll try to schedule a pick up to have it dropped off later this coming week.

Just want to drive it. Especially when premium is less than $2 currently.

On 4/3/2020 at 5:47 PM, SteelBlue said:

Here's your dumb fuck move of the day(well, 5 months ago now). After pulling the JOMs off the Calypso car in preparation to swap them onto the red car, I broke the oil pan. In my haste I jacked the car up by the oil pan instead of the subframe. I know, stupid, I just completely over looked this and put the jack on at nearest flat spot I found to put the jack on when it went under the car.

Oof, I remember telling you that probably cracked it. You were still under the impression that it sprung a random geyser leak. Glad to hear you're getting it fixed though!

• 2 weeks later...

It's home, running and driving.

Can't say enough good things about Auto Clinic in Neenah. They've taken care of the car for the past 20 some years for the previous owner, so I felt comfortable off the bat brining it to them. Walked into the building for the first time and I knew I was in the right place. Porsche ALMS Spyder posters, 964 poster the size of a door, CART posters, flat 4 motors on stands, V12 Jag XKE, what looked like a 356 under a cover, a Willys Jeep, among other things. Got it to them late Friday, drove it home this afternoon.

Things to do:

>Correct paint further(would prefer to have this done by someone who knows that they are doing)

>Roll/pull fenders(same as above)

>Black out window trim?

>Replace brakes front and back, do a stud kit on the rear

>Cat back exhaust(I have an old exhaust from a buddies S52 car that has a Vibrant resonator and muffler. Wondering if an exhaust shop can cut these off the old exhaust and use them on a new one)

>Other general maintenance

Time to drive no where because everything is closed and Road America season is probably cancelled...

IMG_7122.jpg

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

Another great thing to add about AAA or roadside - works good for if you're home and you try to fix your car and you fail so you need to get it to the shop, in pieces. Just tell em the car broke down in your driveway, viola. 

Works both ways, I had my Maxima Towed to the dealer because I thought the security system had locked out and on '99 models the only reset was from a dealer.  It wasn't the problem and I had it towed back to my house no questions asked.  The only stipulation towing from a shop is that they call to verify any work performed was paid for before removing the car.