Jump to content
WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ryan...

Motorcycle thread?

Recommended Posts

Who else here is a two wheel warrior? Recently-ish picked up a 2018 Street Glide and have been exploring the roads of Southern WI almost daily.

 

Installed new pipes yesterday, intake and tune will be coming sometime later.

 

Anywho, here's the bike:

48369481977_198d77dfd6_b.jpg

 

 

 

If anyone else is up for it, would love to put together a big ol group ride, go get some good eats, visit a museum or something, find a cool river to play in. I'm. Up. For. Anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had bikes, rode bikes, sold bikes and now they're pretty to look at and annoy me on the roads for the most part.  Especially Harley riders... Chalk it up to me getting old and get off my lawny.  I have zero interest anymore other than potentially a serious Duc, BMW or Aprilia at some point to put 1,000 miles a year on and stare at in my garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 9:33 AM, straight6pwr said:

trying to resist this additional hobby, stop it with the threads and such!

Like Miley, I can't stop, and I WON'T stop...

22 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Had bikes, rode bikes, sold bikes and now they're pretty to look at and annoy me on the roads for the most part.  Especially Harley riders... Chalk it up to me getting old and get off my lawny.  I have zero interest anymore other than potentially a serious Duc, BMW or Aprilia at some point to put 1,000 miles a year on and stare at in my garage.

I would love to get me another Ducati or possibly a motorsport colored S1000rr. Right now I'm going to have a hard enough time making room for both of the Harleys in my garage spot next to the fiance's vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have experience with enduros? If I’m able to negotiate more days at our Appleton office I would like to get one for what would be a 4 minute door-to-door commute.

Just a 250 as I really only want a glorified moped. No interest in going fast on two wheels. Just something with a little more grunt than a moped. 
 

Something of this nature, I am all in on:

https://appleton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/iron-mountain-2015-husqvarna-fe250/6914685673.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 2:25 PM, SteelBlue said:

Anyone have experience with enduros? If I’m able to negotiate more days at our Appleton office I would like to get one for what would be a 4 minute door-to-door commute.

Just a 250 as I really only want a glorified moped. No interest in going fast on two wheels. Just something with a little more grunt than a moped. 
 

Something of this nature, I am all in on:

https://appleton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/iron-mountain-2015-husqvarna-fe250/6914685673.html

 

Ad is gone, but realistically any sort of enduro style bike would be perfectly sufficient for a 4 minute commute. Just get something that you can comfortably flat-foot for your own ease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to save up some money to solve my lack-of-shop-space issue permanently. Currently spending my weekends making delirious garnachas...

VzzKphV.jpg

Given the lack of space to do car stuff, I'm considering going back to bikes, since I could probably pull it off at work/my apartment. Thinking about reviving an old idea I had of taking a 250 "dual-sport" bike, making it into a street-tacker, then strapping a ninja 250 engine to it. Given my fabrication skills, this is something I think I could pull off without a large outlay of cash, and fits within my theme of taking things that no one is really passionate about and turning them into something that is just fast enough and sketchy enough to scare the bejeezus out of you.

Basically a scaled down version of this:

file.php?id=202&mode=view

but it sounds like this:

Or maybe I'll just keep cooking/find another hobby...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

I used to ride. Did too much stupid shit, so I stopped all together lol. 

Please keep posting updates 😃

You rode supermoto with the W.A.R. guys didn't you?  Not a smart move lol.

I got rid of my bike before that, this is my old bike. '87 VFR700.  After 3 speeding tickets in a month and almost losing my drivers license it had to go...  I loved the sound of the gear drive cams and the V4.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see I'm not the only honda fanboy on here.

Found a nice, low mileage crf230l on CL that I'm considering. These things are so small:

230Laction.jpg

Price is a little high, but that's why they're called bad decisions....

Edit: Re-posting the sounds, because I think the picture above really clarifies how dumb this idea is. Also, the hassle of modifying the frame and the ugliness of a radiator has me reconsidering whether or not this is really a good idea. But on the 3rd hand going from 18hp to 30hp.... Can't decide whether this is the right amount of stupid, or too much stupid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I might be able to have a comedically short commute(less than 5 mins) for 3 days a week. I've always liked the look and style of supermotos and would love to get one for this commute and other tooling around. Would like a Yamaha WR250 R or X. Light, reliable, easy on maintenance. I want it as a glorified moped.

For getting used to riding a bike with a clutch and everything, should I get a cheap 85cc or 110 cc dirt bike just to ride around on to get an idea and feel for how to ride? Obviously would do a class, but I would like to have some experience before going for the full thing. I know a 250 is considered a beginner bike, which I am more than okay with, I just want some experience before hand.

I've rode a buddies CBR 600 in first gear around the block a couple times and have rode my 50cc moped a fair amount. I do not have motorcycle experience otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteelBlue said:

So I might be able to have a comedically short commute(less than 5 mins) for 3 days a week. I've always liked the look and style of supermotos and would love to get one for this commute and other tooling around. Would like a Yamaha WR250 R or X. Light, reliable, easy on maintenance. I want it as a glorified moped.

For getting used to riding a bike with a clutch and everything, should I get a cheap 85cc or 110 cc dirt bike just to ride around on to get an idea and feel for how to ride? Obviously would do a class, but I would like to have some experience before going for the full thing. I know a 250 is considered a beginner bike, which I am more than okay with, I just want some experience before hand.

I've rode a buddies CBR 600 in first gear around the block a couple times and have rode my 50cc moped a fair amount. I do not have motorcycle experience otherwise.

Find someone with a Grom and ride that around for a day. You'd be surprised how fast you catch on to the clutch/shifting thing. It's much more forgiving than a car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

So I might be able to have a comedically short commute(less than 5 mins) for 3 days a week. I've always liked the look and style of supermotos and would love to get one for this commute and other tooling around. Would like a Yamaha WR250 R or X. Light, reliable, easy on maintenance. I want it as a glorified moped.

For getting used to riding a bike with a clutch and everything, should I get a cheap 85cc or 110 cc dirt bike just to ride around on to get an idea and feel for how to ride? Obviously would do a class, but I would like to have some experience before going for the full thing. I know a 250 is considered a beginner bike, which I am more than okay with, I just want some experience before hand.

I've rode a buddies CBR 600 in first gear around the block a couple times and have rode my 50cc moped a fair amount. I do not have motorcycle experience otherwise.

Take spencies advice and rip a grom around. Easiest thing to ride ever. They wheelie well too with some body English lol. I sold mine and don’t miss it at all though. The fun wears off after the first 300 miles  

ive had supermotos and have ridden many a wr. They are all fun bikes. Just be ready to get tickets 👮🏻‍♂️👮🏻‍♂️👮🏻‍♂️  (I had zero self control on mine) 

 sm’s are quite forgiving in the crashing dept. I crashed my drz a bunch and at the end of the day it’s a dirt bike so they hold up pretty well. I looped my grom when it had like 80 miles on it. Blew apart the seat/tail and broke the pegs off the left side. They are made of glass.  

If you have friends with dirtbikes go get acquainted with riding in the dirt. It’s seriously the best place to safely learn bike control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

So I might be able to have a comedically short commute(less than 5 mins) for 3 days a week. I've always liked the look and style of supermotos and would love to get one for this commute and other tooling around. Would like a Yamaha WR250 R or X. Light, reliable, easy on maintenance. I want it as a glorified moped.

For getting used to riding a bike with a clutch and everything, should I get a cheap 85cc or 110 cc dirt bike just to ride around on to get an idea and feel for how to ride? Obviously would do a class, but I would like to have some experience before going for the full thing. I know a 250 is considered a beginner bike, which I am more than okay with, I just want some experience before hand.

I've rode a buddies CBR 600 in first gear around the block a couple times and have rode my 50cc moped a fair amount. I do not have motorcycle experience otherwise.

5 minutes? how bout an electric bicycle?

basically no maintenance compared to something with a combustion engine. easy to transport to events like road america weekends. no registration, no insurance. cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.