WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

From all of us here at WI BIMMERS, I'm Ron Burgundy. Stay classy, San Diego.

Jdesign

• 1 month later...

Worked on this on Saturday and got it all back together. Cleaned most of the interior and exterior without going completely nuts. Never did an alignment which made for an exciting drive to lake mills for the last Cars & Coffee of the year. Afterwards I stopped at a friends house and I had NOOGs shoot some photos of the car. He hasnt sent me the photos yet, but here are some I took with my potato. 

Retouched E10 2002_01.JPGRetouched E10 2002_05.JPGRetouched E10 2002_06.JPGRetouched E10 2002_07.JPGRetouched E10 2002_08.JPGRetouched E10 2002_02.JPG

I have a brake dragging that I need to attend to and the heat seems to be not blowing. So minimal items to be expected. I hope to have these resolved soon as I am hoping to drive this for a few weeks until there is white flakes in the forecast!

Also, I am just posting this because it feels damn good......

• Muffler Hanger
  • Front Rotors
  • Front pads
  • Outer Tie Rod Ends
  • Belts (smog and alt)
  • Valve Cover Gasket
  • Dizzy cap
  • Dizzy rotor
  • Spark Plugs
  • fuel filter
  • Door crank handles
  • Interior door handles
  • rear parcel tray
  • Hazard switch
  • New light bulbs
  • Clean Grounds
  • Replace and check fuses
  • Replace/ repair hazards
  • Clean Interior
  • Clean Exterior
  • Clean Engine bay
  • Clean wheel wells
  • Clean trunk
  • Replace Wheels
  • Exhaust Hanger
  • rear brake hardware kit
  • front brake rotors
  • front brake pads
  • outer tie rods
  • tail light bulb
  • valve cover gasket
  • fuel filter
  • AC belt
  • Alternator Belt
  • Air Pump Belt
  • Door crank handles
  • Interior door handles
  • rear parcel tray
  • shift bushings
  • steam clean rear seat & doors & armrests

• 1 month later...

As some of you know, prior to the cruise this developed a small oil leak at idle. Seems like the VC bolts backed out a touch and the VC started to weep. I am glad it was a simple fix.

Prior to that I also noticed that a small clunk was developing up front. I assume since the car had more miles put on it in the last few months than it had in the past 10 years, things were going to show their age. I diagnosed that the steering rod joints had started to fail. I ordered a new one and installed it once it arrived. 

Image result for 32219057204

After installing I came to the realization that the only parts in the the assembly that were not replaced were the inner tie rods. They looked terrible against all the new parts and I was certain it was only a matter of time that I would need to replace them as well, so I ordered inner tie rods and replaced them too.

Image result for 32211114844 pairImage result for 32211114844 pair

I string aligned the car and took it for a drive. Much better. 

• 2 years later...

Well, this car was officially accepted to BAT. I have a few more images I need to take of the car, but I assume it will be out of my hands before the summer is over. If anyone here is truly interested in purchasing this 2002 from me, I am willing to consider a local sale for the right price. Just shoot me a message.

Here's a listing of a similar spec 2002 for reference;

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002-69/

Im sad to see it go as its a great car, but I had my time to enjoy it, and its just another vehicle that just doesn't fit in my ideal automotive stable right now. I am still trying to downsize as I just have too many projects to juggle as one human being, and I am trying to cut back and focus on what's realistic for me.

Also, as far as documenting things, here are the notes sent to BAT.

Summary: This 1971 BMW 2002 is finished in Malaga over a saddle leather interior and was purchased by the current owner in 2018. Power comes from a 2.0-liter inline-four paired with a four-speed manual transmission. Additional equipment includes bright grilles and trim, factory working air conditioning, 14” Alpina wheels, and front bucket seats. Service under current ownership is said to have included replacement of the brakes, steering components, valve adjustment & valve cover gasket, as well as a tune-up and all fluids flush. This 2002 is offered with an additional crack-free dash, an owner’s manual, a Haynes service manual, factory steel wheels and hubcaps, and service records dating back to 1990.

History: It was a California car until 2007, at which point the previous owner had it transported to Wisconsin.  This was used occasionally for the next 10 years.   It sat until June of 2019, when it was purchased in non-running condition.  The car was inspected on a lift and has had extensive service to get it back on the road.

Exterior:  This round taillight example was factory finished in Malaga Red (021) and was repainted under previous ownership in 2002.  Silver-finished 14″ Alpina wheels wear 185/60 Bridgestone Potenza tires and a set of factory steel wheels and hubcaps are included in the sale. Detailed photos of the car’s finish, trunk, rockers, wheel wells, and blemishes can be viewed in the gallery below. 

Interior: The cabin features a saddle brown interior with front bucket seats that have been recovered by the previous owner. The rear seat still maintains the factory upholstery although there is a split on the base on the passenger side. An aftermarket stereo has been added to the center console with two 5.25” speakers that are mounted under the dash. The five-digit odometer shows approximately 600 miles, with total mileage unknown. All gauges function as intended. Cracks can be seen in the factory dash under the dash cover, although the seller is including a crack-free dash with the car (see photos).

Drivetrain & Service: The 2.0-liter SOHC M10 inline-four features a factory carburetor with a manual choke. Recent service includes a replacement fuel filter, hoses, all accessory belts, distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires, and a valve adjustment with new valve cover gasket. Recent oil and coolant changes, and replacement of the battery, and the air filter was also performed.  The front tie rods, steering rod, ball joints and front wheel bearings have all been replaced during suspension service.  

Known Issues:  Rust is present on the front lower valance , bubbling is visible on the lower portion of the front fenders, under the passenger-side rocker panel as well as in the spare-tire well.  Hazard switch is inoperable.  Heater core is bypassed.  Rear seat upholstery has a split on seat base.  There is an intermittent battery draw so the car is left on a battery tender when not in use.

New Parts:

• New Front pads
  • New Front Rotors
  • New Outer Tie Rod Ends
  • New Valve Cover Gasket
  • Adjusted Valves
  • New Dizzy cap
  • New Dizzy rotor
  • New Spark Plugs
  • New fuel filter
  • New light bulbs
  • New AC belt