WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

From all of us here at WI BIMMERS, I'm Ron Burgundy. Stay classy, San Diego.

Jdesign

I did a thing I promised myself I wouldn't do.

BUY ANOTHER BMW.

But I did, and here it is.

IMG_1096.JPGIMG_1090.JPGIMG_1097.JPGIMG_1126.JPGIMG_1088.JPG

Luckily, to soften the blown on my time and wallet, this was a joint purchase with a friend of mine who is also a car fanatic.

The details are as follows:

1971 early model (1970) BMW 2002 roundie in malagna over tobacco interior. The car is pretty much stock besides a dealer added AC system and an aftermarket head unit.  

The plan is simple, clean, clean some more, and fix the mechanicals that need fixing. 

List of items ordered

• Muffler Hanger
  • Front Rotors
  • Front pads
  • Outer Tie Rod Ends
  • Belts (smog and alt)
  • Valve Cover Gasket
  • Dizzy cap
  • Dizzy rotor
  • Spark Plugs
  • fuel filter
  • Door crank handles
  • Interior door handles
  • rear parcel tray
  • Hazard switch

List of items to do

• Clean Grounds
  • Replace and check fuses
  • Replace/ repair hazards
  • Clean Interior
  • Clean Exterior
  • Clean Engine bay
  • Clean wheel wells
  • Clean trunk
  • Paint wheels or upgrade
  • Install Exhaust Hanger
  • rear brake hardware needs to be soaked
  • Install front brakes
  • Install outer tie rods
  • Install valve cover gasket
  • Install fuel filter
  • Install Belts

Seems like a fairly big list but I think the majority can be accomplished in a weekend. 

19 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Does the A/C system work? 

Define "work" 

If you mean it blows air and debris at you, the answer is YES it works. As far as being cold, I have yet to test it out. Its also somewhat confusing as it has a highway / city knob ans then a fan speed switch. From what I have read on the 2002 forums the AC kits in these cars never really worked well to begin with.

17 hours ago, alexw said:

Very nice! What does a roundie like this cost, if you don't mind me askin'?

9 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

Depends on how hard you're looking. 😉

This^  I kind of stumbled on this car and it was a price any fool couldn't pass up... well maybe the one, the Albanian that showed up before me and didn't buy it.  They Go for anywhere between $9-20K depending on the condition, year, and originality. 

1 hour ago, REKIII said:

This thing is so cool.  What is under that hideous dash rug?  Hopefully something less hideous. 

It's been awhile since I've seen the Move, but shouldn't it be "From all of us here at......" ?

1. A dash that is going to crumble if you as little as sneeze in the front seat. Luckily it came with a spare dash. 😃

2. It should be, but I failed and I dont have the power to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Parts have arrived. This upcoming weekend will be teardown and install of said parts.

I already managed to install the battery, cap and rotor, and I cleaned the brake fluid reservoir and added fluid. After doing so I took it for a drive, massive improvement. The car ran better, the brakes worked better, and the dash light was now off. I also tried the AC again because of @YoungCR and his silly question if it worked or not. SHOCKED it works really well somehow 48 years later!

I still need to source a hazard switch though, here is what remains of the one in the car;

IMG_1494.JPG

and there are alot of random hoses I need to replace. This one is a coolant hose;

IMG_1492.JPG

New Cap and Rotor! (also fits a Opel Manta if you want to find a Bosch part for cheap 😉)

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

Attacked the lights on this last night. Previously it had only one tail light, one brake light, the turn signals worked on one side of the car, and the front indicators did not work at all. After a total of 2-3 hours, removing super glued bulbs, corroded bulbs, lots of wire brushing corroded terminals and rusted connections, I have fully functional lights at all corners of the car!

**Fun fact, 2002's use the screws in the front lights to ground themselves, If you test them not screwed to the car, you will really develop a headache.

(don't mind the license plate light, I fixed that too)

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

I also glued all of the parts of the hazard knob back together and "had" the hazards working. I think the switch might have a bad connection internally though, so I will have to revisit that when I swap the dash out.

FTAB3819.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Ron got some love last weekend.

• New brakes
  • new wheels
  • new center caps
  • New shifter delrin washers
  • New exhaust hanger and fixed the muffler
  • New tie rod ends
  • Repacked the front wheel bearings
  • Lots scrubbing and a little paint where needed to freshen things up 
  • New window crank

My friend swung out to get a new set of alpina wheels from "Ralph" the BMW guy I bought parts for my E24 from.  He manage to also grab a window crank and a repair manual while he was there. The wheels didnt have center caps but I luckily found some on eBay. The centers are a little yellow which is common, But I will see if I can find some way to polish the yellowing off. The rest is pretty straight forward, a standard brake job and cleaned and painted the calipers / hubs. I spent a good amount of time under the car with a brush and degreaser. It was amazing to just spray and wipe sections clean and find nice paint underneath. This car is in amazing shape, Im honestly baffled. 

IMG_1558.JPGIMG_1623.JPGIMG_1583.JPGIMG_1617.JPGIMG_1618.JPGIMG_1613.JPG

Sadly my tire balancer died so I need too figure out how to fix that. I spent a good 4-6 hours on Sunday messing with it. So the wheels are currently not balanced, but I fit them on the car for now and noted that they need to be take care of.

Next things to tackle are 

• Valve cover gasket
  • Adjust valves
  • Clean up the carburetor
  • Replace hoses
  • New belts
  • Fix the tach if possible
  • Clean the interior
  • Buff
  • Drive it.

More accomplished this weekend. 

• Valve cover gasket
  • Adjust valves
  • Clean up the carburetor
  • Replace hoses
  • New belts
  • Fix the tach if possible
  • Clean the interior
  • Buff
  • Drive it
  • Replace alternator bushing

Sadly I old took pictures of the worn out parts as I was excited to get it back together. I will take pictures of the new hoses once I install the valve cover gasket.

IMG_1663.JPGIMG_1664.JPGIMG_1673.JPGIMG_1674.JPG