WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E36 OEM Keyless Install Fail

Morzada

Question

98 M3 Convertible - 3 button fob system purchased from a WIBIMMERS member.

Install seemed to go off without a hitch, but when I hit the lock button I get one chirp and the doors and trunk lock (or unlock) - then about a second later I get three chirps and the doors and trunk unlock (or lock).  The fuel door and glove box lock/unlock with a key in the door, but they do not function with the remote.

The function is the same if the hood or trunk is open (the trunk will lock then unlock if I hit the fob button with the trunk open).

If either door is open I get nine chirps, but no lock or unlock.

I've tried adjusting the [glass break?] sensitivity switch and all the dip switches inside the main box and had no change in effect.

Ideas? Thanks!

9 answers to this question

Seller here... it worked perfectly on my car for a long time so I really hope nothing is wrong with the system! I did have a similar issue at one point, but I narrowed it down to a very sticky trunk lock that was preventing the actuator from working properly. I lubed/freed up the trunk lock parts and it worked again. My guess would be that somewhere there is a faulty door lock actuator, hood sensor, or something is sticking mechanically. 

Do you have the hood sensor plugged in? Those seem to be problematic. It might be worth going through and unplugging one actuator/sensor at a time and see if anything changes. I'd start with the hood sensor, then fuel door actuator, trunk actuator, then doors since they're the hardest to get to.

Have you checked the condition of your trunk wiring at the hinge? 

I never knew the glovebox would lock/unlock with central locking, that's pretty neat. Maybe a function on convertibles only? 

Some new information: when the car is locked and I hit the unlock button, I get one beep and the sound of solenoids, but the doors do not unlock.  Then I get the three beeps and the doors unlock.  It's almost like the car doesn't know it is locked and first tried to lock, somehow fails, and then unlocks.

when unlocked, it will beep and lock, then three beeps and unlock.

I've got a new driver window regulator and motor coming this week (hopefully). When I have the door panel off, I'll try to futz with the actuator on that side. 

Hate taking the panels off.  I feel like they'll turn to dust one time.

3 hours ago, Morzada said:

Some new information: when the car is locked and I hit the unlock button, I get one beep and the sound of solenoids, but the doors do not unlock.  Then I get the three beeps and the doors unlock.  It's almost like the car doesn't know it is locked and first tried to lock, somehow fails, and then unlocks.

when unlocked, it will beep and lock, then three beeps and unlock.

I've got a new driver window regulator and motor coming this week (hopefully). When I have the door panel off, I'll try to futz with the actuator on that side. 

Hate taking the panels off.  I feel like they'll turn to dust one time.

Might as well glue them with some e6000 while they are off. It's worth it.

the 3 beeps is telling you one of the sensors is not closed. the system thinks something is open so won't arm the alarm/lock the doors. the default when there is an issue is for the system to unlock, so you get the 3 beeps and unlock no matter if the car was locked or unlocked in the first place. It sounds like the system is working correctly, but you have a faulty sensor/bad connection somewhere, as @m42b32 said.

I did the ol' jazz hands routine on the Google and found this. It is basically expounding on what @m42b32 said above on what to check:

Troubleshooting Keyless Lock

1. Five switches you need to check: Front hood, trunk, both doors (I have 2 door), and top (I have a convertible).

2. The Lights and locks are on the same switch, so if the lights work the switch works.

3. Open and close each door and make sure the interior lights go on and off. If they don't, you need to repair the latch switch.

4. Open and close the trunk and make sure the interior light goes on and off. I put my cell phone on video record and dropped it in the trunk. On playback I confirmed that the light did go off so that was not the problem.

5. Open the convertible top part way so the hard cover is up. If the trunk is locked and you can't open it, then the switch in top is working. If not, you found the problem.

6. With the doors and trunk closed and the top up or fully down, open the hood. The switch is on the right side. Push it down manually until you hear it click. While holding it down, try your keyfob button. If it works now, you found your problem. I had to bend the switch arm up to make it make contact with the hood.

at some point in the past I bought the similar factory alpine system for my e34, but decided against installing it due to all the fuss with sensors as compared to an aftermarket system.

Thanks. 

I'm aware of #1, I'm not sure what #2 means.  I just checked #3 and both doors activate interior lights.  I checked #4 and even locked my cell phone in there as suggested - light goes off.  As for #5, I checked that too.

The hood switch is unplugged, so that should avoid the issue with #6.  I have a spare one from my previous car, I guess I can try that...tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, Morzada said:

Thanks. 

I'm aware of #1, I'm not sure what #2 means.  I just checked #3 and both doors activate interior lights.  I checked #4 and even locked my cell phone in there as suggested - light goes off.  As for #5, I checked that too.

The hood switch is unplugged, so that should avoid the issue with #6.  I have a spare one from my previous car, I guess I can try that...tomorrow.

maybe try a method more like what joe suggested - work backwards. unplug all the switches. see if the locks will lock. then start testing them individually, with all the other disconnected. 

Still working on this.  Interestingly, I went to double/triple check the hood switch and swapped it out with a spare I had.  Nothing to put in the success column, but oddly, now instead of chirping one and locking/unlocking, then chirping three times and unlocking/locking - the chirp sequence is backward.  I now get three chirps, then one.

How annoying. I would make sure the spare you had is in working order. I just went through an issue of replacing a switch with 3 bad ones not knowing they were bad causing me to think it wasn't the switch.

I would also put my vote on the drivers door switch as it is used the most and likely the first to wear out.