WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Does anybody like going for drives?

B C

12 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

I think a Road America Hawk Vintage meet would be cool! If its a go ill come down 100%

Im on the edge of going this year. Cant decide.

i think there will always be several of us going to that.

i'm always up for a drive! with the super sad news of no more autox at Miller Park, I assume there will be several extra weekend open for such drives.

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i think there will always be several of us going to that.

i'm always up for a drive! with the super sad news of no more autox at Miller Park, I assume there will be several extra weekend open for such drives.

I forgot about that. It is unfortunate if for no other reason than I wont be able to spectate. I will be glad that you may have a better probability of being able to come to a drive though.

3 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I love cruises and meets! I don't know any good driving roads but would be happy to help plan or coordinate things. 

To drive some of the "Driftless Region" roads with friends this year would be a great time, in my mind. There is most certainly a bigger time/fuel cost commitment involved and can imagine it might only be a handful of people but an amazing time would be had.

I am still convinced that there are some hidden gems.  Roads and routes that dont necessarily stand out on google maps as being fun driving routes, but are near those of us in SE WI. 
Occasionally I try to seek these things out as I find a nugget of free time here or there or take "the long way" and go into adventure mode while im out and about. 

The logical path is to look for woods and hills, which means north/northwest but it would be great to find something that goes south, even a little road trip into IL and maybe meet up with the illinois BMW guys.

I signed up on another forum to see if there would be any interest in that but based on the age of adjacent threads im not expecting any replies

thread parked here so I can check it more easily: http://www.chitownm.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8017

3 hours ago, B C said:

I forgot about that. It is unfortunate if for no other reason than I wont be able to spectate. I will be glad that you may have a better probability of being able to come to a drive though.

To drive some of the "Driftless Region" roads with friends this year would be a great time, in my mind. There is most certainly a bigger time/fuel cost commitment involved and can imagine it might only be a handful of people but an amazing time would be had.

I am still convinced that there are some hidden gems.  Roads and routes that dont necessarily stand out on google maps as being fun driving routes, but are near those of us in SE WI. 
Occasionally I try to seek these things out as I find a nugget of free time here or there or take "the long way" and go into adventure mode while im out and about. 

The logical path is to look for woods and hills, which means north/northwest but it would be great to find something that goes south, even a little road trip into IL and maybe meet up with the illinois BMW guys.

I signed up on another forum to see if there would be any interest in that but based on the age of adjacent threads im not expecting any replies

thread parked here so I can check it more easily: http://www.chitownm.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8017

I would definitely be in for some longer drives to explore some neat or more remote areas as soon as my car is more proven... getting stuck would suck That would be a lot of fun. 

I think a meet with an IL club/group would be pretty fun, checking out builds and cars I have never seen is always a good time (not to mention talking to the owners). Its a shame their forum looks pretty quiet, I wonder if anyone will respond. 

There are some good roads in the SE corner of the state.  When I lived in Platteville it is pretty much up , down, left, right so much on some it was difficult to keep much speed.  I enjoyed testing the e36 limits.  

This section of road was fun.  Mainly the east west part by the 26 minutes box.

image.png.dc0900c91a1662743fc20444806799f2.png

30 minutes ago, timmer said:

For sure!  I can host something by me sometime.  We have some nice scenic roads, and places to stop in the Waupaca area.

Which direction are the good roads from Waupaca?  

If you find some time to plot a route on google maps feel free to share it!  

3 hours ago, B C said:

Which direction are the good roads from Waupaca?  

If you find some time to plot a route on google maps feel free to share it!  

This is a nice scenic country drive. A few nice parks along the way through Amish country.

https://goo.gl/maps/QQeaTUYWEhx59w5A8

We could meet in the morning, do the drive with a few stops along the way, and end up at the Harbor Bar and do lunch, and a boat cruise around the Chain 'O Lakes. Drive would take 2-3 hours depending on length of stops

http://clearwaterharbor.com/.

18 minutes ago, timmer said:

This is a nice scenic country drive. A few nice parks along the way through Amish country.

https://goo.gl/maps/QQeaTUYWEhx59w5A8

We could meet in the morning, do the drive with a few stops along the way, and end up at the Harbor Bar and do lunch, and a boat cruise around the Chain 'O Lakes. Drive would take 2-3 hours depending on length of stops

http://clearwaterharbor.com/.

Depending on the day i could probably join for a cruise in that area.  Looks nice.

• 1 month later...

So this topic died which is unfortunate. It needs to be revived. I have been on hiatus from pretty much everything since I bought a 2019 Civic type R and have been neglecting the M3 since the type R is about 10x better to drive than an E92 m3. 

I'd like to get a couple of cruises going this summer and stretch the V8 legs of the M3. 

I think at minimum we should do something local again since that is going to be easier for most people. As much as I liked the route we did last year and I still drive it all the time, I'd like to do something a bit longer - there are some roads that I can tie in to that route so that we end up at Road America - it's a solid amount of driving about 3 hours to get there from start in Delafield. It would involve most of the roads from the cruise last Fall, with some additional northwest of Dousman and then heading east towards West Bend and up towards RA on the more standard Kettle Moraine route roads. I would like to do this on August 3rd or 4th because that is the weekend of IMSA races at Road America and we could do a long morning cruise, then get lunch at RA and watch racing in the afternoon or people can fuck off then if they want. 

Extra credit is for people who want to do an additional cruise that would be more like a full day and possibly stay at a hotel - speaking more towards the comments above about heading west of Madison. I haven't been out that way very much other than Mt. Horeb / Dodgeville / Platteville area, and I would enjoy heading to some roads untraveled that are new to me / most of the group. I know this would be a smaller subset of people but it is something I've wanted to do for a long time. It would be especially nice to find some cool nature backdrops further west or near some body of water for group car photos. 

Sunday I was going to go out and run around Holy Hill but there appears to be a lot of construction going on. More-so than the last time we were out there.

As lame as the roads are around New Berlin/Muskego/West Allis, I was planning to take the long way to the Badger Bimmers car show  Saturday the 29th.  It would in no-wise be anything close to an amazing drive but it would be a little extra road time with bimmer buddies.  A more elaborate route to RA sounds good to me

Guess this means I need to get the e30 back together soon...

In for anything that comes up. West of Madison would be cool, the driftless area is great. I’d also be perfectly okay with a long route up to RA. I believe that I’d be out for the last weekend in August, but not positive. Any other weekend I should be golden. 

9 hours ago, B C said:

Sunday I was going to go out and run around Holy Hill but there appears to be a lot of construction going on. More-so than the last time we were out there.

As lame as the roads are around New Berlin/Muskego/West Allis, I was planning to take the long way to the Badger Bimmers car show  Saturday the 29th.  It would in no-wise be anything close to an amazing drive but it would be a little extra road time with bimmer buddies.  A more elaborate route to RA sounds good to me

The only thing under construction that's intrusive to my normal route is that Hwy 164 is closed. All you need to do is take Hubertus east to Hillside Dr. and then north to 167 west back over to 164 north. It's a short detour. 

That said, good news is there is active construction around Hubertus West / Monches / St. Augustine as they are finally acknowledging those roads are.........literally impossible to drive on for anything short of a military grade humvee, and even then I don't think it could exceed 5 mph without blowing tires on potholes and causing herniated discs in the backs of anyone unfortunate enough to be along for the ride.