WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Budget-Built BMW 335i Thread (Drag Inspired)

suspenceful

After getting bored with my daily driver E70 X5, I sold it and started my search for a new project. As I continue to grow my YouTube channel, I wanted something that I could daily drive and modify. Since I know my way around an N54, I found myself looking for an E90 335i. This would give me 4 doors and a plethora of options to pick from. My only stipulations were that it had to be automatic, cheap, and not a pile of crap.

My search across the Midwest uncovered a lot of overpriced junk. As a member of E90Post, I stumbled across a listing that hadn't been getting much interest over the course of 3 months. I noticed the price was more than fair after a few price drops and the car seemed to be a great value. I contacted the seller and asked a few questions. Everything seemed legit so I had him bring it in for a PPI at a local BMW indy shop.

46977222564_bd227c69b0_c.jpg

Next thing I knew, I was scheduling transportation from Texas to Wisconsin.

40800026913_aea312e072_c.jpg

I took delivery of the car sight unseen and am very happy with the car. The transaction went smoothly, the seller was great to work with and I get to enjoy a rust-free chassis!

47713913702_4f2257b3b9_c.jpg

It's a 2009 BMW 335i (N54) with 140k miles. Face-lift sedan with sport package, premium package, heated seats and comfort access. Tons of maintenance records and tastefully modified with a Dinan carbon fiber cold air intake, JB4 tuner and window tint.

I have lots of plans for it because I'd like to make this an exciting build with modifications and maintenance. It'll start off like most N54s, but I'm really gonna turn things up later on this year. I'd like this to be a budget-built stock turbo drag car. I still have my 750whp 135i (see here), but this should be the polar opposite being an automatic, twin turbo sedan instead of a manual, single turbo coupe.

If this build sounds like something that interests you, I'd encourage you to subscribe to my YouTube channel or follow along on my 335i blog.

Next up was polishing the nasty headlights that I pointed out in the video upon delivery.

I've had really good luck using the 3M headlight restoration kit, along with a few additional supplies in the past.

32752458227_31f6f7518f_c.jpg

33818275838_f5848f0c0c_c.jpg

40729284693_1bbbbb891c_c.jpg

32752509577_2fa364198f_c.jpg

These are the products I used:

Since I've had such good results with this method, I created a DIY video that shows the steps I take and the products I use. It also includes a cool time-lapse, let me know what you think!

On 5/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, YoungCR said:

Love that Dinan airbox! I'm behind on your videos but excited to see this project progress, headlights turned out great.

Thanks! I'm a sucker for the airbox as well.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:30 PM, B C said:

Yes, sweet dinan airbox lid. Your photography in this and your 135i thread is  top quality stuff! This seems like a bit of an adventure. In to see how it all goes

Thank you sir! The unique part of this is actually the snorkel to the intake that makes it an actual cold-air intake.

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

Nice! Cant wait to see where you take this!

Me too!

8 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

When one forgets the steps for a walnut blast, one must watch a video on how to do so.
See also : Jakeception

[lovely photo]

*embarrassing*

Damn, my hair looks red in that photo :lol:

I went to my local 1/4 mile drag strip to get some baseline results before I start diving into maintenance and modifications!

47681551802_d760e0de77_c.jpg

It was my first time launching or racing one of these cars with an automatic transmission. Definitely a learning moment, especially after getting used to my 750whp manual 135i. Two completely difference experiences! It was hard to tell the 335i was even doing anything because the stock exhaust is so quiet :lol

First-ever pass down the strip netted me a 14.71 at 95mph. Not great. I foot-braked the car and wasn't sure how high the stall would let me go before starting to spin the rear tires.

For the second pass, I left off idle thinking that might help. It didn't. Lost a tenth to the 60ft, but seemed to go down the back half of the track faster. The car was a lot cooler on this run as it didn't heat-soak in the staging lanes like it did on for the first run.

46889364825_7275854c35_c.jpg

I've been wanting to test the accuracy of my Dragy device, so I had it on during my first two runs. I was impressed to find that it was within 0.03s and hit the MPH on the head! Take a look at the Dragy results below compared to the actual slips and you'll see each measurement is almost spot on. It's an awesome little device for measuring all sorts of stuff. 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, 0-60mph, 60-130mph, etc.

33928768058_84ebd5be13_c.jpg

You can order one on Amazon!

Since the Dragy was so accurate and the track was packed, I decided to hit a couple backroads on the way home instead of waiting in line for 1hr per pass. For my third attempt, I held the e-brake along with the foot brake to stall up the RPMs. Once I was ready to go, I released both brakes and it resulted in a much better launch.

Unfortunately, the tires spun on my first street attempt because the tires were cold. So I did a u-turn and went right back to the same spot and did a 4th run after warming the tires up. Same exact launching strategy and the tires hooked, resulting in a better 60ft and much better ET than my original 14.7.

46889359465_481ffd3ba7_c.jpg

All passes were done in sport mode, without manual shifting. I let the car automatically shift for me to keep things consistent. I probably could've squeezed some faster times out of it if I shifted earlier to keep the car in it's powerband. I can feel the boost tapering off up top being stock.

Best of 14.31 @ 97mph leaves a lot of room for improvement. Next step is some much needed maintenance. The car has 140k on it and has never had a walnut blast (to my knowledge), and it could use some spark plugs/coil packs.

Check out the video of my runs, you'll get an awesome POV-style view of me going down the track B)

21 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

That draggy thing is pretty cool

19 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Agreed, that's a neat product. 

Yeah, I've been really impressed with it. It's basically a Vbox, but more accurate and easier to use. Also has a pretty cool area for everyone to share their results and categorizes them by manufacturer (BMW, Audi, VW, etc.) I'd highly recommend it, if that's your sort of thing!

I finally set aside some time to give this car the walnut blast it deserved.

46895993725_7dde51a040_c.jpg

47022974754_d6d8666d5f_c.jpg

Here are the supplies I used:

Let's get started...

47022974504_0fa516e95e_c.jpg

32868706987_0094a29ca7_c.jpg

46895993595_eb181b9e07_c.jpg

47022974634_ee807aec88_c.jpg

32868706707_63e1d0871a_c.jpg

Well, I think I figured out why the car couldn't eclipse 13's in the 1/4 mile! I couldn't believe what I found after removing the intake manifold!

47019390444_db58ef1e16_c.jpg

After loosening up some of the carbon with a pick...

33931790988_23e6105d75_c.jpg

46895993455_245fe69b36_c.jpg

Then after one pass of walnut blasting...

33931790858_26e3d7f2e3_c.jpg

Lots of walnuts and manual scrubbing later...

40842373353_5c1d52eba0_c.jpg

I even cleaned up the intake manifold ports because those were caked with carbon as well. You can see the cleaned port on the left and the dirty port on the right.

33931615518_bcde0f292e_c.jpg

It was a lot of work, but totally necessary. If you want to watch my whole process with more of a DIY/How-To style, check out my YouTube video. It also has some more information and a drive at the end showing the power increase/restoration.

Wow great video !

i could’ve sworn I almost bumped into you the other day at menards . I wanted to say something tho you looked like you were on a mission so I just continued on , keep up the great work I’ll be doing this soon to mine at 148k . I do think it was done roughly 80k so not quite as bad as that puppy was tho wowza yuck 🤢 😂