WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Budget-Built BMW 335i Thread (Drag Inspired)

suspenceful

On 5/10/2019 at 8:28 PM, Drgt5683 said:

Wow great video !

i could’ve sworn I almost bumped into you the other day at menards . I wanted to say something tho you looked like you were on a mission so I just continued on , keep up the great work I’ll be doing this soon to mine at 148k . I do think it was done roughly 80k so not quite as bad as that puppy was tho wowza yuck 🤢 😂

Maybe! Say hi next time, always cool to bump into other local BMW guys. I probably always look like I'm on a mission :lol:

Hopefully yours isn't as bad as mine!

• 2 weeks later...

This week I changed the spark plugs and ignition coils and wanted to shed some light on the process. I filmed an in-depth video and wrote a guide to help others properly replace, gap and install their new plugs & coils.

Ultimate N54 Spark Plug Guide: https://bmw335i.com/2019/05/22/bmw-n54-spark-plug-replacement-gap-guide/ 

https://youtu.be/-g3dpQopvew

My old plugs were gross and some of them were coated black. Smelled like fuel, so I'm guessing my index 7 injectors are leaking :(

47832960182_76ef1c5c60_h-1024x683.jpg

But anyways, I got Burger Motorsports' new spark plug kit which includes 2-step colder NGK spark plugs, a spark plug removal socket, a spark plug gapping tool and a feeler gauge. I also got some Bav Auto high performance ignition coils to try out. They seem great so far!

I'm in love with the BMS spark plug gapper tool, wish I had it a long time ago. Can't wait to use it every time in the future for both my 335i and 135i. If you're curious how it works, I walk through the process in my video above.

47884892001_876ba29aa6_h-1024x683.jpg

47095594404_b00413372b_h-1024x683.jpg

I even used my Dragy to get some real-life performance results before and after swapping the plugs & coils! I did a 0-60mph run before and the best result I could achieve was 5.71 seconds. After installing the upgraded parts, I went out for another run and was able to knock it down to 5.53 seconds!

spark-plug-before-after-dragy-app-1024x9

I guarantee if you watch the video or read my complete blog post, you'll learn something that you didn't know before. Either way, let me know what you think!

4 hours ago, B C said:

That gapper is awesome! I need one!

I would have been interested to see knock/timing retard for both 0-60 runs. I'd have to imagine a little bit of timing may have been pulled on the old parts. 

Once I get a tune setup on this thing, I'll be able to monitor that info. But yeah, I'm sure the old stuff wasn't functioning up to par.

Not a huge update, but I installed some LUX H8 LED angel eyes. Upgrading the angel eye bulbs are one of my favorite appearance modifications you can do for these cars. They’re relatively cheap, easy to install and greatly improve the look of any BMW.

I have the same set in my 135i and they've been holding up great for years. Very white, very bright, I wouldn't go with anything else. For anyone interested in the process, I wrote a step-by-step installation guide with more photos, etc.

Check out my blog post: https://bmw335i.com/2019/05/31/how-to-install-bmw-angel-eyes-stock-vs-led-comparison-335i-330i-328i/

47969244636_9e6d13d16b_c.jpg

47969234331_729ffa3868_c.jpg

47969174247_054caa50cc_c.jpg

47969178627_6b7f0d9032_c.jpg

• 2 months later...

This car came with a JB4 installed so I quickly added a bluetooth connect kit. This allowed me to update the very out of date firmware and gives me the ability to log and monitor everything from my phone. I have the same kit in my 135i and I love it.

I also stumbled upon a pretty cool app called Log Dyno. It allows you to upload a log and spits out a dyno graph. I was skeptical about how accurate it would be but it seems very close. As long as you enter the proper data and settings, it works very well. I filmed a complete video showing exactly how to use the app if anyone else is interested:

I did one log in map 0 (stock), and one log in map 1 with a small tapered boost curve.

48636779738_17668dd82f_c.jpg

The dyno graph exactly matches the boost curve and the numbers seem on par with other results. In my first-hand experience, the stock numbers are dead nuts on with wheel horsepower results from actual dynos as the N54 is rated at 300/300 crank horsepower.

For anyone interested in trying it out, I'd be curious to see others' results:

That being said, I bought some used index 12 injectors for the car because the current original injectors are leaking. Bad idle on cold start, wet plugs, black smoke, etc. Going to do a DIY on these soon... then the modding begins.

48636780038_1f9698a67b_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As I begin to increase the boost in this car, the first thing I want to address is the charge pipe. The stock plastic charge pipe is prone to cracking and breaking with increased pressure. Since I don't want to be left stranded on the side of the road, I decided to upgrade the charge pipe right away.

There are a ton of options on the market for charge pipe, blow-off valves and diverter valves, but I chose the BMS aluminum charge pipe with a TiAL BOV. In my opinion, this is the best bang-for-your-buck option available. It fits great, has a durable finish, two NPT bungs, includes all the proper hardware and a genuine BOV.

If you're starting to mod your N54, I wrote a detailed article about what to look for when shopping for a charge pipe. Check it out here: The Ultimate BMW N54 Charge Pipe & BOV Guide

I also filmed a video demonstrating the whole installation process with a few tips/tricks along the way.

I'm very satisfied with my choice and don't think there is a better option at this price point. No more worrying about the stock pipe exploding, plus the sound of the TiAL valve is perfect. Now I can continue modding this car!

48681205641_a3d255d02d_c.jpg

48680866263_44354225dc_c.jpg

48681374577_fe5430bcf5_c.jpg

48681205466_f1db7c4795_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...