WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Knock Detection “Det Cans” $20

B C

For sale is a knock detection setup I made. It includes a BMW E36 (S52) knock sensor, amplifier, and ~10ft of cord to reach into the engine bay.

simply bolt it in to a good place on the block, plug in some headphones, switch on the amplifier and listen to your pistons melt!

$25 shipped/$20 picked up

8EADF4CA-521D-4577-A95C-DED5AC788FD7.thumb.jpeg.bd9d7e063af01ae44b297a09191e4c41.jpeg

413FBF3D-4C34-46D1-8633-15AA8C885B08.thumb.jpeg.6b78e85bcfdb769190212019f2251c4a.jpeg

48 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

@HipMF showed me his intense setup this weekend.
This route seems much more logical! 

Proof of concept!

I wired a knock sensor up to a guitar practice amp which has a headphone jack. I haven't tried it on an engine yet, but I did spend about half an hour clamping the sensor to various things around the shop and tapping on them with screwdrivers and such. Actually worked even better than I thought it would, plus I have all the material I need to make my own ominous tones album. The only issue I had was when I plugged the amp into an outlet that wasn't grounded I got a lot of hum.

How well did these work for you? This looks a lot more convenient than dragging around a practice amp and finding a place to plug it in...

• 3 months later...