WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Craigslist listing fees

YoungCR

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a27126069/craigslist-car-seller-fee/

Starting April 15th, Craigslist will charge $5 for private car listings. Really curious on how this is going to change the listings. For the most part I feel like the “shit boxes” have all moved to Facebook and this will only continue the trend. Also because Facebook for sale ads are free I feel like this is gonna drive a lot of people away too.  I wish they would’ve raised the dealer fee before this as so many dealers spam post. One benifit is this weeds out spam/scam postings. Thoughts?

In all seriousness though, I bet this is going to have a big effect on the cheap car listings as a lot of people will just move to Facebook marketplace (which is terrible, but free). I would be willing to bet they'll see a huge drop in usage. I have a feeling it will be similar to when Bimmerforums tried to use Panjo for their classified ad section. It took a small percentage of the sale price and it all but killed their classifieds section... I think $5 is pretty steep, it would have much less of an effect if they started with maybe $1-2.

I agree that it would make a lot more sense to raise the dealer posting fees before resorting to a private sale listing fee since they use it for a business purpose.