WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E46 Things

B C

Differential oil changed. Using the $90/qt BMW Unicorn Piss seems to be worthwhile as the M-clunk and diff whine is much less noticeable. If it were any other LSD, I’d be content with Redline, but even diffsonline.com recommends SAF-XJ +FM for the M-Variable LSD

AFFE01DA-7428-47EB-8DB4-9DEDEE9BC164.thumb.jpeg.2898d26c6ea2dfab2da45e20014f816b.jpeg

I added a magnetic drain plug.

29695B90-6D15-44EF-BCCE-44D3FDF2398A.thumb.jpeg.e2d4f3df22902b209d3d2223b9c03aa8.jpeg

I replaced the fuel filter. The old one wasn’t horrible, here is a front (upper) vs. back (lower) comparison of the filter paper. I had no idea when it was last replaced but it’s cheap, easy, and never hurts to do.

While I was in there I checked and confirmed that the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is still in place and I will be removing that soon based on the overwhelmingly positive feedback from those who have removed it. If it sucks I can re-install it/its fully and easily reversible.

0BA1373A-E69E-42FC-AC3B-44A7FEAE4B2B.thumb.jpeg.9beffaf5abad815148e0c4a9f8e62914.jpeg

I also took a nice drive through the southern Kettle on Saturday with 2 passengers, AC on, and some music playing with the aux input I installed. Good times were had.

Fogs are not installed. I am still not sure which look I like best. Leaning towards no fogs.

The typically used 10w-60 oils are Castrol TWS, BMW/Shell TwinPower Turbo, LiquiMoly, Redline.

Bimmerworld recommends Redline and I can get it locally at Pegasus or Behling if I ever need to top off. 

I am having, what would seem to be the beginning stages of a failing fuel pump, leaking injectors, or a cam sensor on the fritz.

Occasionally the car does not fire up on first crank attempt. but always does on second attempt as if the mixture/fuel pressure is not right. I do wait for the fuel pump to finish priming before starting and that does not make a difference.
I will connect the laptop tonight and see if any codes are stored.

It does appear to be a common issue and I did find this posted hinting at summer blend fuel in cold temperatures. Plausible as it was chilly this morning.

SI B 13 01 08
Fuel System & Control
January 2008
Technical Service
SUBJECT:
M3 S54 - Crank/No-Start on 1st Cold Start Attempt
MODEL:
E46 (M3) with S54
SITUATION

The customer may complain that during the first cold start, or after the vehicle has been parked for more then 6 hours, the engine would crank but not start on the first attempt. The engine will start immediately during the second cranking attempt without any running issues. The problem is currently present and reproducible in the workshop.

No faults are stored in the DME control module. Testing of the fuel pressure, volume and bleed-down pressure do not detect any problems with the fuel delivery system. Also, further diagnosis of the engine electrical components (scope patterns of injectors, ignition coils, crankshaft and camshaft sensors, etc.) shows that all the systems work as designed.

CAUSE

Gasoline fuel blends with low volatility (Reid Vapor Pressure or RVP too low for winter temperatures).

Fuel volatility is defined by ASTM standards and regulated by federal and state legislation. Volatility in different geographical areas is affected by many factors, including state regulations (for example, oxygenated fuel requirements), local altitude, local temperature ranges, refinery capacity, and distribution logistics. Volatility is not related to gasoline octane rating (AKI).

Shifts in fuel volatility occur during seasonal fuel changeover periods. Lower volatility summer fuel (typical range 6 - 10 psi RVP) is changed to higher volatility winter fuel (9 - 14 psi) in the fall, and then back again in the spring.

A cold start situation may occur if a non-homogenous summer fuel blend is introduced into the fuel distribution system and thus the vehicle fuel tanks, when winter fuel is needed.

CORRECTION

Do not replace any components.

Advise the customer to refill the vehicle with a brand name TOP TIER detergent gasoline with a minimum octane rating of AKI 91.

9 minutes ago, B C said:

I am having, what would seem to be the beginning stages of a failing fuel pump, leaking injectors, or a cam sensor on the fritz.

Occasionally the car does not fire up on first crank attempt. but always does on second attempt as if the mixture/fuel pressure is not right. I do wait for the fuel pump to finish priming before starting and that does not make a difference.
I will connect the laptop tonight and see if any codes are stored.

It does appear to be a common issue and I did find this posted hinting at summer blend fuel in cold temperatures. Plausible as it was chilly this morning.

Probably the head gasket.

No start on first attempt condition happens at ~70F ambient temp which rules our the BMW TSB about the summer blend fuel at cold temps. 

INPA shows codes: 178 196 197 198 204 205 206 213

these are misfire and catalyst efficiency codes.

Someone else’s experience with the same codes and symptoms confirms the fuel pump theoryFE114401-8EB9-41FB-9540-6161A3C2768D.jpeg.83f6c360b424f6adc3b81be922cf1eef.jpeg

This morning the car fired up on first attempt rather than second but it took just slightly longer to fire up than ideal. I reset codes, reset adaptations, drove to work, everything running perfectly as usual. I checked for new codes when I got to work and there were none. 

I will check for fuel pressure bleed-off when I am underneath removing the CDV in the coming weeks and see if by chance the fuel filter needs to be snugged down just a little more even though I had checked for leaks pretty thoroughly after replacement. If things continue/deteriorate, my first check will be to pull the fuel pump and see if the rubber hoses on the pump are leaking before ordering a new pump. 
The best price I can find at the moment is Bimmerworld or Tischer for $370