WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E46 Things

B C

I have logged about 400 miles on the car since taking ownership. 

Today I made a home depot run and transported a 2x4 in it and made use of the fold down rear seats.

on my way home from work though it developed a brake squeal.

As it turns out the caliper caught a rock.

61244CF7-0E3F-4EDD-BE1D-1D362B03E6E7.thumb.jpeg.24a704a7bcae492845baec9977f7181e.jpeg

While I was under the car I checked for loose hardware, tightened up a heat shield screw that contributed to some rattling and became acquainted with the underside of the car.

I match-marked the bolt heads with a sharpie for quick checking of loose fasteners in the future. 

@andyhundley gave some really good advice about the potential rabbit hole one can go down on with all the preventative fixes that you can do on these cars/anxieties you can generate by browsing BMW forums:

”get off the forums and just drive it”

On 4/25/2019 at 10:50 PM, B C said:

@andyhundley gave some really good advice about the potential rabbit hole one can go down on with all the preventative fixes that you can do on these cars/anxieties you can generate by browsing BMW forums:

”get off the forums and just drive it”

Stay off E46fanatics unless you need to fix something 

I got INPA working and waterboarded my DME, demanding that it spill the beans on everything it has seen.

I got a code 80 and 67

Everything runs and drives phenomenally, save for an ever so slightly fluctuating cold idle. So I will clear these codes and see if they come back. No these codes do not generate a CEL. If they come back I will test out the VANOS solenoid and clutch switch to see if there is anything worth improving over winter. It is just nice to know I now have a little bit better diagnostic capability than a basic scanner if I ever need it.

A very good list of codes can be found here

http://www.chitownm.com/forums/showthread.php?p=61655

EDIT: link fixed

F5FBD365-EF35-495B-AAE5-08D7BAA3008E.jpeg

7EB7D3AC-E9A3-4977-8254-690809FD3884.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

900 miles logged. The rebuilt diff will need some fresh oil very shortly. That is on the list for next weekend along with a few other small items before the picnic.

Over the weekend someone with a head gasket disposal apparatus was parked by me.

960ADFA8-E6E0-4D5F-97BA-29C89B3A2F04.thumb.jpeg.c5fd4e387311f16a15d29c4ba4fed050.jpeg

They commented on the car ( and half jokingly offered to trade cars), they got a kick out of the sticker, and I applauded him for recognizing that it’s Laguna Seca/its a joke.

8E7C3330-26C8-4152-B01F-7C9397327AA3.thumb.jpeg.83fa9bbd290e6c72937eb11474de1532.jpeg

Looking forward to taking the long way into work tomorrow to enjoy the car a bit then snagging a breakfast burrito at Qdoba as a birthday present to myself (highly recommended food item)

This was the small one at the Chiropractors Office in Hartland, small showing, mostly good as an excuse to get out for a drive and see a few friends. 

https://m.facebook.com/events/the-specific-chiropractic-centers-lake-country/cars-coffee-cereal/168518730341234/

the Lake Mills cars and coffee is VERY impressive though, i’d love to be able to go to another one this year.

I hope International BMW does another one as well. Its very convenient and it was a nice showing of cars/chance to see the brand new stuff we will complain about not being able to fix

18 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

What cars and coffee did you go to? I am trying to find what some of the better ones are in the area to see some nice cars - and not just a bunch of Subarus and Mustangs. 

I can second that Lake Mills is very impressive, usually a good smattering of neat stuff mixed in with a lot of late model mustangs and the like. I haven't been to one yet this year, but they already broke the 2018 attendance record of 410+ cars on the first event this May. If the June event has nice weather, expect that the attendance will be even higher. I'd probably show up not too long after 8 if you care about an actual spot.

Also, I didn't know Qdoba had breakfast burritos. That's a game changer.

7 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

I can second that Lake Mills is very impressive, usually a good smattering of neat stuff mixed in with a lot of late model mustangs and the like. I haven't been to one yet this year, but they already broke the 2018 attendance record of 410+ cars on the first event this May. If the June event has nice weather, expect that the attendance will be even higher. I'd probably show up not too long after 8 if you care about an actual spot.

I believe the location at 124th and Capitol is the only location that does breakfast. 

11 hours ago, gilber33 said:

What cars and coffee did you go to? I am trying to find what some of the better ones are in the area to see some nice cars - and not just a bunch of Subarus and Mustangs. 

From all of the Cars and Coffee (and Cereal) events I've attended over the years these seem to be the best:

-Rock Lake Motors Cars and Coffee (Lake Mills) Note: show up BEFORE 8am if you want to get in.  I showed up at 7:45 and the place was almost packed already.

-Waukesha Cars and Coffee at Black Canyon Coffee - This one's smaller around 40 cars or so but can draw a decent selection of cars

-Madison Cars and Coffee at Barriques in Fitchburg - Same group of guys shows up every Sunday and they're a good bunch of guys.  Small gathering but great car talk and usually very nice cars.

-Cars, Coffee and Cereal at The Specific Chiropractic in Hartland - Very small, usually less than 20 cars but very laid back atmosphere with an OK car selection.  The guy who runs it is a genuine car guy and super nice.  It's a nice event to get together with friends at but not somewhere I'd expect to be blown away by the cars.

-Delafield just started an event but I haven't been to it yet

-Milwaukee had a good one once down by the marina and when I say once it was literally one good event.  The next one that @DrLeadFoot and I showed up to was 3 clapped out beaters that looked at us longingly as we drove in, turned around and left for Miller Park.

12 hours ago, B C said:

900 miles logged. The rebuilt diff will need some fresh oil very shortly. That is on the list for next weekend along with a few other small items before the picnic.

Over the weekend someone with a head gasket disposal apparatus was parked by me.

960ADFA8-E6E0-4D5F-97BA-29C89B3A2F04.thumb.jpeg.c5fd4e387311f16a15d29c4ba4fed050.jpeg

They commented on the car ( and half jokingly offered to trade cars), they got a kick out of the sticker, and I applauded him for recognizing that it’s Laguna Seca/its a joke.

8E7C3330-26C8-4152-B01F-7C9397327AA3.thumb.jpeg.83fa9bbd290e6c72937eb11474de1532.jpeg

Looking forward to taking the long way into work tomorrow to enjoy the car a bit then snagging a breakfast burrito at Qdoba as a birthday present to myself (highly recommended food item)

Happy Birthday!!!

15 hours ago, B C said:

This was the small one at the Chiropractors Office in Hartland, small showing, mostly good as an excuse to get out for a drive and see a few friends. 

https://m.facebook.com/events/the-specific-chiropractic-centers-lake-country/cars-coffee-cereal/168518730341234/

the Lake Mills cars and coffee is VERY impressive though, i’d love to be able to go to another one this year.

I hope International BMW does another one as well. Its very convenient and it was a nice showing of cars/chance to see the brand new stuff we will complain about not being able to fix

14 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

4 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

From all of the Cars and Coffee (and Cereal) events I've attended over the years these seem to be the best:

-Rock Lake Motors Cars and Coffee (Lake Mills) Note: show up BEFORE 8am if you want to get in.  I showed up at 7:45 and the place was almost packed already.

-Waukesha Cars and Coffee at Black Canyon Coffee - This one's smaller around 40 cars or so but can draw a decent selection of cars

-Madison Cars and Coffee at Barriques in Fitchburg - Same group of guys shows up every Sunday and they're a good bunch of guys.  Small gathering but great car talk and usually very nice cars.

-Cars, Coffee and Cereal at The Specific Chiropractic in Hartland - Very small, usually less than 20 cars but very laid back atmosphere with an OK car selection.  The guy who runs it is a genuine car guy and super nice.  It's a nice event to get together with friends at but not somewhere I'd expect to be blown away by the cars.

-Delafield just started an event but I haven't been to it yet

-Milwaukee had a good one once down by the marina and when I say once it was literally one good event.  The next one that @DrLeadFoot and I showed up to was 3 clapped out beaters that looked at us longingly as we drove in, turned around and left for Miller Park.

THANK YOU! That's exactly what I was looking for. My wife doesn't care much for cars, but she does find classics and the less common cars interesting and more tolerable. Not sure I can convince her to get up that early with me to get a spot, but that would be really cool.

1 hour ago, gilber33 said:

THANK YOU! That's exactly what I was looking for. My wife doesn't care much for cars, but she does find classics and the less common cars interesting and more tolerable. Not sure I can convince her to get up that early with me to get a spot, but that would be really cool.

Lake Mills also has a neat little downtown square to wander around in, so you’re definitely not limited to just the cars when you go. 

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

This is news to me. 
I must determine what ones provide such food.

As far as I can see, the only location is 124th and Capitol by Harley/Briggs/Milwaukee Elec. Tool.

Its the only location in the state ive found that has an open time of 6am, all others are 10:30.

Burrito with eggs, potato, bacon, queso, pico, and a little cilantro and red onion. mmmhmm

18 hours ago, B C said:

As far as I can see, the only location is 124th and Capitol by Harley/Briggs/Milwaukee Elec. Tool.

Its the only location in the state ive found that has an open time of 6am, all others are 10:30.

Burrito with eggs, potato, bacon, queso, pico, and a little cilantro and red onion. mmmhmm

I think you should bring a whole box of these to the next outing.....