WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E46 Transmission quesion?

Ryan...

Question

My dear youngest brother axed me to cross post this here. I know absolutely nothing about the E46, nor BMW automatic transmissions...

I basically told him that if FCP says it's correct, tis correct, but he wanted it posted anyway...

Correct Transmission fluid for 2000 323i? Crossposted from Ask Mechanics (self.e46)

submitted 45 minutes ago by Benjaja

Hello everyone, I have a 10/1999 produced, 2000 sold model 323i. 145k miles bought second hand, owned for 20k miles. I've been getting a gear light coming on in the dash that's made me nervous. It always resets if I restart the car in neutral but I'd like to be proactive. I looked underneath and have the GM transmission, not ZF.

Is this the appropriate kit for my transmission?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-transmission-service-kit-24117560575kit

I can't afford to put in Dexron 4 when it needs 6 or something else completely. I need to keep this baby on the road for my 30 mile commute to work.

Ben H.

7 answers to this question

the internet suggests DexIII, D4, DexVI, and other universal ATFs have worked fine.

the internet suggests GM has stated DexVI is backwards compatible with DexIII transmissions.

DexVI didnt hit the market till 2005 so it certainly isnt the original spec for a 2000 model year car.

of course, the 323i owners manual states 'lifetime fluid, no change necessary' 😂

17 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

the internet suggests DexIII, D4, DexVI, and other universal ATFs have worked fine.

the internet suggests GM has stated DexVI is backwards compatible with DexIII transmissions.

DexVI didnt hit the market till 2005 so it certainly isnt the original spec for a 2000 model year car.

of course, the 323i owners manual states 'lifetime fluid, no change necessary' 😂

We've reached the point where there's so much info out there it's hard to tell what's accurate nowadays, but even with that, I still can't imagine thinking lifetime fluid is a real thing lol

"lifetime" does not mean "for the life of the vehicle."

It means "when the transmission fluid goes bad your transmission dies, therefore, the fluid has lasted the lifetime of the transmission!"

the GM transmission used in those e46s is one of the worst ever for longevity. the reverse gear almost certainly goes bad. having 145k miles on his and its still working is above-par. at this point, hoping the fluid you pick makes the thing run another 50k is probably a pipe-dream since that thing is on borrowed time...