WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chris’ e34 extravaganza

ChrisO

All good suggestions. I’d over prepare for the first start being a high tolerance motor.  If you want to pull the tank, they are fairly simple on e34’s, just two tank straps to undo. The front strap bolts can be tricky if things are rusty though. 

Really cool that this car still has its dealer tags on the keys. The keyless entry system is easy to reprogram too if everything is working. 

It sounds as though you have already cranked it, did the oil pressure light turn off?  If not I typically remove the spark plugs before cranking a dormant engine so that there is no load on the bearings.  Also adding a squirt of oil to the cylinders wouldn't hurt.  A bore scope would be handy to look in the cylinders for rust but if you already cranked it over then you already are past that.

22 hours ago, YoungCR said:

All good suggestions. I’d over prepare for the first start being a high tolerance motor.  If you want to pull the tank, they are fairly simple on e34’s, just two tank straps to undo. The front strap bolts can be tricky if things are rusty though. 

Really cool that this car still has its dealer tags on the keys. The keyless entry system is easy to reprogram too if everything is working. 

The car has a new fuel pump and fuel lines, the previous owner just put the tank back in in the last two years

9 hours ago, jc43089 said:

It sounds as though you have already cranked it, did the oil pressure light turn off?  If not I typically remove the spark plugs before cranking a dormant engine so that there is no load on the bearings.  Also adding a squirt of oil to the cylinders wouldn't hurt.  A bore scope would be handy to look in the cylinders for rust but if you already cranked it over then you already are past that.

I havent personally cranked it, but in the last two years the previous owner tried to get it to run on multiple occasions

I really appreciate the advice from everyone, I'm definitely going to put some oil down into the cylinders before I try to start it and put a quart through the motor. I'm probably going to pull the valve cover gasket to take a look at the sludge and make sure I see no obvious damage

For now, there isn't a chance I could have gotten it to run today. I went over the engine bay very thoroughly and found several different issues that would prevent the car from running.

The cam pulse sensor that surrounds a spark plug wire is destroyed. Unfortunately this is a $170 sensor, and is s38b36 specific and only available as a genuine BMW part.  @straight6pwr you were right, it's already expensive

IMG_5308.JPG

Next pretty much every vacuum line is bad. The one off the fuel pressure regulator is completely split in half

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5303.JPG

IMG_5301.JPG

The intake boot post-maf is torn wideee open

The maf plug was half plugged in 

IMG_5309.JPG

So I need to order that cam sensor and a intake boot, and redo the vacuum lines. All pretty simple things, I'm going to pull the plenum off and redo all the vacuum lines while I wait for the sensor.

I did put power to the car today though, just to see if everything worked. All headlights, tail lights, turn signals all work. Blower motor works, windows work, all seat functions work. Radio turns on but nothing comes out of the speakers, assuming It's thanks to the hellish wiring and amp/sub set up in the trunk.

It was a good feeling to see the car come to life with power

IMG_5305.JPG

Just under 192k miles

A lot for having sat the last 11 years, would probably be over 250k if it never stopped running

I spent most of the day just degreasing and cleaning inside the engine bay, it was really bad and now I have a pretty clean motor to work with

IMG_5311.JPG 

IMG_5325.JPG

The itb throttle linkage was pretty gummed up, I really focused on that and it's much better now

Gave the car a wash on the outside the best I could without running water, I just wanted to make it look less like a abandoned car in the parking lot of my apartment haha

IMG_5327.JPG

But yeah, no wonder the car wouldn't start... More to come

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got around to compression testing the motor this morning.

Test was dry and cold but 

Cylinder #1 gave false hope, decent number for a cold motor?

IMG_5441.JPG

Cylinder #2-4 crushed my dreams, I triple checked all of them and they were in the 60-70psi range

IMG_5443.JPG

And back to a more normal number in cylinder #6...

IMG_5445.JPG

I made sure to check each cylinder multiple times in different orders to make sure it wasn't user or equipment error

So yea thats bad.

So the car needs:

• Major engine work
  • All new coolant hoses
  • A gas tank
  • A new battery
  • A cam pulse sensor 
  • A intake boot
  • New tires
  • New brakes
  • rear shocks
  • every busing that is rubber in the car

I also found a hole by the battery under the rear seat where it looks like something punctured the body?? It's all rusty now

I'm still super happy with my purchase, but the amount of money and work it's going to need is gonna be too much. If the thing didn't have rusty jack points and holes in the pan I'd consider "bringing it back from the dead"

I know it's a rare car but it's a easy $7000 in parts, and even if this was driving I don't see anyone paying over $8k with the overall condition/ rust. Decent rust free ones with similar miles go for 11-15k it seems like 

I still have my new M3 I'm trying to build, and my main focus is on that, not tearing down a s38  when I have no major engine work experience

Sorry guys but I'm gonna look for a decent 535i to throw some fun parts on and beat around in 😓

11 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

That's a bummer.... but it makes sense to part out. Spending the money to rebuild the engine/etc just wouldn't make sense if the shell isn't in good shape. Swapping the M5 parts to another E34 would be pretty sweet though (M5 touring replica??)

Honestly whatever comes first a e34 touring or a 5 speed 535i!

The tourings seem next to impossible to find

3 hours ago, snap said:

Valve adjustment would loosen up over time, not tighten up.

I have seen valves that are gunked up/rusted to the point when they don't close after being opened. Not likely here, but it's possible. Bent valve is more likely, but still...

Put a head gasket in and go racing.

Yeah I agree. I would be hesitant to call it dead. Here's my 2 cents:

1. Was there oil in the cylinders prior to you testing it? ( I know you know what your doing, but Ive made this mistake before) you said it was "dry." The end cylinders will have the most lubrication due to the path the oil travels through the motor thus higher numbers? 
  2. Valves. If that thing is gunked up at all, very likely from sitting, the valves might not be seating completely altering the test. How long would your tester hold psi per cylinder?
  3. Rings wear, but being a N/A motor, I doubt they are bad, a headgasket is more likely and an easy job.
  4. Borescope; did you check to see how it looks in there?
  5. Nevermind, your right, its probably dead.
  6. Trade me the S38 for my M30 and I can swap it into my E24. This is really the only fair option considering you owe me a finders fee. 😎

44 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

@HipMF asking for the BAN hammer 🔨

Haha! Maybe...

I like wagons, but if I was building one I'd go for an engine with stupid torque. 260-270 ft-lbs in a car that weighs almost 4000 pounds isn't that great.

A gutted e24 would be a good thousand pounds lighter and more likely to use the power at the top of the rev range.

19 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Haha! Maybe...

I like wagons, but if I was building one I'd go for an engine with stupid torque. 260-270 ft-lbs in a car that weighs almost 4000 pounds isn't that great.

A gutted e24 would be a good thousand pounds lighter and more likely to use the power at the top of the rev range.

Horsepower wins parts, torque sells races

You need to put oil in the cylinders and recheck.  I have seen dry cylinder walls cause extremely low compression.  I had a flooded M50 show 30PSI on compression test and with a little oil it jumped back to 180.  It also wouldn't start because compression was so low.  I just cranked it over with the plugs out and injectors unhooked to dry the fuel away and added a squirt of oil to each cylinder and it started right up.  That was on my e36 a couple months ago when it was extremely cold out and had a failed start attempt.

9 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

You need to put oil in the cylinders and recheck.  I have seen dry cylinder walls cause extremely low compression.  I had a flooded M50 show 30PSI on compression test and with a little oil it jumped back to 180.  It also wouldn't start because compression was so low.  I just cranked it over with the plugs out and injectors unhooked to dry the fuel away and added a squirt of oil to each cylinder and it started right up.  That was on my e36 a couple months ago when it was extremely cold out and had a failed start attempt.

This.

I had a two stroke inline 6 that had numbers roughly all over the board; 60,50,110,80,130. I was super worried. Added oil, rechecked compression and it was 160's all the way across. I was shocked. 

On 3/26/2019 at 5:02 PM, rampelsauce said:

Bingo.  Rebuild that S38 and make something that will make @DrLeadFoot feel bad about his S62 touring.

Here you go. find a perfect box for that S38 diamond like this one and make a nice faux M5.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/d/bonita-springs-94-bmw-525i-mint/6852122107.html

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/d/schertz-1995-bmw-525i/6848522043.html

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile, very busy with school and weather is just finally getting nice where I wanna be in my garage

I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone, I'm going to put some oil in the cylinders and re-run the compression test. I also visited home this past week and grabbed my borescope so I can check out the cylinder walls and pistons.

I can easily hook up pressurized air to the hose that came with my compression tester kit so I'll do that also if the compression numbers are still low

For now I've been pulling the car apart, I had a moment today in the garage as I was gutting it (easily lost 400lbs today) thinking how cool it would be to rebuild it, completely simplify the car, cage it, put some light bucket seats in it and use it, until the carpet came up and the skirts came off 

IMG_5464.JPG

I had a lot of fun getting this skirt off. A PO jacked on the fender seam and bent the fender/skirt up into the body of the car with the bolt holding the skirt on smashed inwards. When all this shit fell out after the skirt came off I knew it was no good

IMG_5467.JPG

Yeah its bad up front. Extending beyond this hole towards the frame rails under the undercoating is completely soft. The metal has rusted away just leaving a sheet of just undercoating haha

IMG_5466.JPG

Can see the hole to the front right of the jack point, although it looks mostly intact it's made up of multiple layers of metal and they are all swollen with rust in-between the layers.

IMG_5469.JPG

Rear wheel well, same story as the floor pan, completely rusted through under the undercoating up about a solid 6in beyond what you can see

IMG_5699.JPG

random firewall rust holes on the passenger side

IMG_5696.JPG

Hard to tell but this is a hole into the rockers

IMG_5697.JPG

Same story but worse on the passenger side

IMG_5700.JPG

Mysterious rusty puncture hole in the battery area

Yeah so I've played this game before and I'm not going to again. I'm sure the inside of the rockers is horrifying

Funny thing is though, parts of this car are really rust free, the rear jack points, pan and rockers dont even have surface rust. No rust on the quarters, no rust on the rear trunk lip, fenders aren't rusted through. This was a texas car until 2002, The rust is probably from sitting uncared for in a wet environment with trapped water for 11 years and not salt. Shame

IMG_5695.JPG

Making progress

IMG_5693.JPG

IMG_5701.JPG

IMG_5702.JPG

IMG_5474.JPG

IMG_5475.JPG

Idk what I'm doing with everything, I want the shell gone and all the regular e34 parts gone. I'm just kinda gonna hang on to everything M5 specific for now

It sucks doing this to this car, it really does. I feel bad every time my garage opens and you see such a special car with nothing but a M5 badge left on the rear.