WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Front Control Arm Bushing / Lollipop tool.

Jdesign

Front Control Arm Bushing / Lollipop tool.

I need one, does anyone have one I could borrow? 

Now, before you comment, yes I know you can get them off by drilling, prying, burning, basically destroying yada yada, but I want to save the bushings that are installed as they only have a few miles on them. Is this dumb of me?

s-l1600.jpgImage result for BMW Front control arm bushing tool

33 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

i was able to use a 3-jaw puller. I drilled a shallow hole on the end of the control arm stub to keep it from walking off.

Doh, drilling a shallow hole...should have thought of that.

I got mine off with a three jaw puller, but between the walking tool and not having a solid pull surface against the rubber (like the picture of the tool) and with only the jaws on the lollipop I tore up the CAB in the process. Might work for @Jdesign since his CABs are pretty much new.  

Wait.... If the new bushings are already installed, what's the point in removing them?

When I did my the front suspension on my 318, I did things the hard way and carefully sawed the old bushing and pulled it out. Then I used a vise and a 3lb hammer to slowly "press" in the new ones (clamp the bushing and lollipop as hard as possible in the vise, then smack the vice with the hammer to get the bushing to seat in 1/32"; repeat many times).

Now that I'm a little older and a little wiser, I would never bother. Buy the bushing pre-installed in the lollipop and make you life easier.

Bushings are new, but you need the lollipop? Trade someone for some shitty old ones, or just burn/cut them out. That Farm and Fleet puller in the picture will still be a PITA. Spend an extra hour at work next week to make up the cost, and save yourself 2 hours of dicking around at the shop. It pains me a little to say these things, but it's the truth.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:41 PM, straight6pwr said:

i was able to use a 3-jaw puller. I drilled a shallow hole on the end of the control arm stub to keep it from walking off.

I tried this first, but was unsuccessful, then I posted here.  

On 3/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, Boris3 said:

Doh, drilling a shallow hole...should have thought of that.

I got mine off with a three jaw puller, but between the walking tool and not having a solid pull surface against the rubber (like the picture of the tool) and with only the jaws on the lollipop I tore up the CAB in the process. Might work for @Jdesign since his CABs are pretty much new.  

And this i why I was unsuccessful. I saw the rubber start to flex and I didnt want to tear it. I might just make a plate to fit on the back side and use a 3 jaw.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:16 PM, HipMF said:

Wait.... If the new bushings are already installed, what's the point in removing them?

When I did my the front suspension on my 318, I did things the hard way and carefully sawed the old bushing and pulled it out. Then I used a vise and a 3lb hammer to slowly "press" in the new ones (clamp the bushing and lollipop as hard as possible in the vise, then smack the vice with the hammer to get the bushing to seat in 1/32"; repeat many times).

Now that I'm a little older and a little wiser, I would never bother. Buy the bushing pre-installed in the lollipop and make you life easier.

Bushings are new, but you need the lollipop? Trade someone for some shitty old ones, or just burn/cut them out. That Farm and Fleet puller in the picture will still be a PITA. Spend an extra hour at work next week to make up the cost, and save yourself 2 hours of dicking around at the shop. It pains me a little to say these things, but it's the truth.

The reason I want them off is I have Condor solid mount replacements. The control arms themselves are newer Lemforder units. I can easily remove them, but without the proper tool they will be destroyed.. The lollipop is not needed either.. here is what the replacement looks like:

Image result for e30 lower control arm bushings

i believe when the 3jaw started to stretch the rubber i tapped at the inner rubber sleeve with something dull to get it to start sliding. i just look at the lollipops/bushings in my bin and there are light marks on the backside where i tapped it.

if your goal is to pull these and sell them, i'm wondering if its worth all this hassle for the value. plus, not many people use stock rubber bushings these days.

5 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Ah, I see now. I've always just clamped the lollipop in a vice, then twist the arm back and forth while pulling on it. It takes some muscle and determination. Not much fun.

Depending on the car, Ive used an air chisel and just blasted them off while the control arm is still on the car. Takes less than 10 mins a side, but they are destroyed by the time you finish.

2 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

also, you're going to love the solid mounts. not much penalty in comfort for some laser-like turn in, especially if you were coming from stock(centered) rubber bushings.

I cant wait. Im redoing all of the steering componets too, so im sure it will help. Z4 rack, new rods inner and outter, and new or "rebuilt" column.