WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Ummm.... So I took a chance. ***Now with Fire Content***

timmer

SUCCESS!!!  

The old girl is idling on her own!  Still have some adjustments to do... there was a small stone lodged where the mixture screw is, and once I got it out, the screw is too tight for my makeshift extended 3mm Allen wrench to turn.

I threw some penetrating oil on it to help loosen it up in the meantime while I go purchase a longer wrench.

The O2 sensor was reading about .72 volts when warmed up. I’m confident once the mixture is leaned out she’ll run like a champ!

Best part, no fire!!!

Time for a Busch Latte...

-Tim

SHE’S ON THE ROAD AGAIN!!

Well, it’s been since 1998, but the old girl is back on the road under her own power. 

Amazingly, she drives better than I thought!  Goes down the road straight, and most things seem to be working as they should.  It’s easy to tell the suspension bushings, and tie rod ends are cooked.

20 miles so far, and looking forward to many more.😁

-Tim

4941A8C6-E0C1-4FB2-9882-B39C3D5C3AB9.jpeg

432485B5-A855-4AD0-B6B8-758D4CB05BF7.jpeg

B160F9BA-DCB6-4F7F-87B1-ADB27A6821C7.jpeg

On 4/21/2019 at 7:45 PM, timmer said:

SUCCESS!!!  

The old girl is idling on her own!  Still have some adjustments to do... there was a small stone lodged where the mixture screw is, and once I got it out, the screw is too tight for my makeshift extended 3mm Allen wrench to turn.

I threw some penetrating oil on it to help loosen it up in the meantime while I go purchase a longer wrench.

The O2 sensor was reading about .72 volts when warmed up. I’m confident once the mixture is leaned out she’ll run like a champ!

Best part, no fire!!!

Time for a Busch Latte...

-Tim

And now his wife gave him an early birthday present for the garage.....can you guess what it was??......a fire extinguisher!!😂😆🔥🚒

On 4/27/2019 at 7:37 PM, B C said:

Sounds healthy! 

Great rescue! What do you think you will do with it?

Thanks Brian!

I’m gonna take my time with this one, try to do most the work myself, and keep it as original as possible. 

I’ll probably start working on the interior next, freshen up the suspension, and tackle the little things for now.  I’ll start saving my pennies since I dumped my savings into the S52 swap for the ‘86, lol.

• 6 months later...

Not much new to update on the e21 project... put several hundred miles on her over the summer with no issues while I focused on other projects.

Interior bits & pieces are on the agenda while the cars are sleeping for the winter.  

Scored a decent set of tan e30 sport seats since I can’t find any e21 replacements. I’ve heard they fit nice, but will need work to fit the uneven floor of the old girl. I’d appreciate any insight from any local experts!

Here’s to a good winter, looking forward to the next driving season!  Keep ‘er outta the ditch!!

-Tim

DC2F3C00-9C14-4445-9AC9-7A30D310E8F9.jpeg

• 8 months later...
20 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

How is the height of the seats? I put e30 sport seats in my previous e21 and they sat too high. I had to cut out both stock seat mounts and weld in two new ones that ran from rocker to trans tunnel to make the seat height where I wanted it. 

I’d say they’re still an inch or two too high, but it works for me... I wouldn’t want to be much taller or bigger since the steering wheel isn’t adjustable. Comparing it with my E30, there isn’t too much difference.

Way more comfortable than the original seats though!

D914FE5C-A7F0-47F9-B125-73CB29E70FEB.jpeg

1C611F39-C56F-4B18-8C6F-65C4FB4495F2.jpeg