WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Ummm.... So I took a chance. ***Now with Fire Content***

timmer

So, I need another BMW since 4 isn’t enough.

The story starts when my wife’s boss lets her know about a storage unit auction that has an old BMW in it, and sends her a link to the website.

So I check it out and find a 1982 320i; looks to be fairly straight, but hard to tell since the video and pictures were taken with a  playschool “my first camera”.

I ran a carfax, and the last entry was in Virginia in 1996 for an emissions test, with no major issues.  As it sits there is no title, but it isn’t to difficult to get one as the car is considered abandoned.

The current bid was at $61, so I figured I would watch it and see where it goes. 

As of 9:00pm last night, the auction ended, and I am now the owner of the storage unit contents  for the sum of $252.

I guess we’ll see where this goes!

https://bid13.com/storage-auctions/wi/appleton/stor-it-storage-appleton-nordale-drive/unit-4005

-Tim

BAC8E32C-6636-4F2F-8E6B-93104DAF79BE.png

F33C28E0-6F63-4F77-A09B-5825A6DEAC9B.png

So I just got done peeking st the car, and so far, so good!

Interior is super crusty, no keys, paint is shot, brakes are froze... all thing that probably should be expected. Hopefully not too hard to remedy.

On the plus side; everything seems complete, no rust/rot that I saw, and the rental storage lessee is the owner listed on the registration from 1993 that was in the glovebox. The marks on the bodywork are little pieces of tape. ??

According to the property manager, the car  was running was parked decades ago.

oh boy....

-Tim

3B6C1B7B-287D-46F9-B199-C38C3D38A209.jpeg

208BE996-778F-45C9-83EE-0FC91D97D241.jpeg

3D26496F-E798-48B1-B119-678EE7BDE741.jpeg

BCFD4F4D-7FDC-4965-A925-180C512E465E.jpeg

F14D0672-1987-4F34-8B53-9E56041704DC.jpeg

B898A0E8-A563-4FFF-97E1-73E20461AE40.jpeg

030EBCAF-DBAB-49F6-B4F6-FDA3555E1C06.jpeg

4A37E7E1-5E79-4E65-9D42-2BE89513E1F4.jpeg

Nice score.

Curious what your plans are... Make sure you take care of the fuel system before you start messing with trying to get it started. Probably obvious given how long it's been sitting, but I thought it would be worth emphasizing since the CIS system on these cars is a fairly complex and delicate mechanical/pneumatic system that doesn't take well to rust or old varnishy fuel.

Gettin' the popcorn ready.

GHTJM17_4085_C02_01_1b_575x575.jpg

A little progress update as a result of not having keys...  

Did I mention how fun it is to navigate a non-running car into a garage with the steering locked and the front wheels at a slight angle?  A wheeled floor jack under the rear end ultimately saved the day!

Got the ignition lock cylinder removed with a little persuading with the drill. Now to see if I can have new keys made to fit, or if I have to get new lock cylinders for the whole car...

Meanwhile, the trunk is locked.  I’d like to see what surprises are in there!!  Anyone know of a way to get in?

-Timmer

D771CD63-35C8-4795-9529-74BE48DB959F.jpeg

2D0D3804-AC94-42B0-B3EF-8DF842CAF8AF.jpeg

A29C45A4-D0A1-4EAB-BB08-AEBDEC652E57.jpeg

17C59290-06C9-4C4D-BCD1-7AD99C0694CB.jpeg

2 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

BMW can cut you a new key from the VIN. I got one for my E30 a few years ago and it was about $40. I did need the title to prove I owned the car though 

Perfect, I’ll give it a try!  Is this something any dealer can do? The closest one is Bergstrom in Appleton for me....

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, timmer said:

Perfect, I’ll give it a try!  Is this something any dealer can do? The closest one is Bergstrom in Appleton for me....

Thanks!

I would think so! I believe they just ordered it for me and I picked it up a few days later, I didn't have to give them an old key or anything. I'm sure if you called the parts desk they could tell you if they can get one or not 

• 1 month later...

*** UPDATE...version Winter Storm Wesley ***

Im hoping to have her running soon!  I’ve tackled the fuel system...what a mess. New key is cut courtesy of Enterprise BMW, and I started cleaning up the interior a bit.  

What the crap-wooly mammoth-fur stuff did BMW use to cushion the seats with anyway?  Years of sitting turned it into a crunchy, rust colored dust.

She was diagnosed with two frozen solid fuel pumps, and every fuel line held as much fuel as a cheese grater.

Luckily the tank is dry and in good shape; the new in tank pump is in, the external pump is out.  Just waiting for the fuel lines, fuel accumulator, and fuel filter to arrive to finish things up.

Im confident she’ll fire right up once reassembled.

Obligatory first fire up in 20+ years to follow.

-Tim

C6D2ECD9-3D7C-4DAA-8B4F-926E2A4304DB.jpeg

5A199A58-ABB2-4A11-8253-683AC98F70B1.jpeg

B9EF7CE7-5F94-42C6-841A-747C87E25876.jpeg

BF99623A-8AFB-42F8-9362-48A4DD982FE2.jpeg

AB5372EE-B014-4039-8B4D-979CAB33BB5E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

*** UPDATE... Version I need a stiff drink ***

Good News!  

On Wednesday night, I finished installing the new external fuel pump/accumulator/and fuel lines.  I disconnected the bajo bolt at the fuel distributor and flushed out the lines, and decided to give her a go.  Expert tip: I added pigtail wires to the new fuel pump so I wouldn't have to struggle to hook up the short leads provided by BMW under the car.

She wanted to fire up right away, but I assumed the the old gas had to get flushed out of the rest of the system.  She eventually ran, but was running extremely rich and I needed to keep my foot on the throttle to keep her running.  I hoped the fresh fuel mixed with fuel system cleaner would continue to flush everything out, and I kept her running up to operating temp and shut her down for the night.  

I noticed the a banjo bolt was weeping fuel at the fuel filter, so I replaced the copper washer.  Everything else looked good!  I was hoping  a little more cleaning, and a mixture adjustment and everything would be good to go.  I also bled the brakes and got them working without issue.

Now, the bad news...

Yesterday I had half the day off , so I thought it would be a good time to work on the car a bit more since I work all weekend.

Things started off fine, the car fired up right away, but was still running rich and would not idle.  I kept running the car, hoping the new fuel and cleaner would do its job for about 15 minutes.  Things did not improve, so I decided to look into things further. I could not find any obvious vacuum leaks, or anything else, so I decided to try to start the car again.  

The car did not start, and eventually stopped cranking.  I assumed the cylinders were hydrolocked with fuel.  I turned the ignition to the "on" position and jumped the fuel pump relay to discover the fuel injectors were spraying without the motor running.

I pulled the spark plugs, setting the wires to the side, and turned the motor over to clear out the fuel.  As fuel began shooting out of each cylinder I head a large "WOOOOOF", and approximately 6 foot flames were now shooting out of the passenger side of the engine bay.  Maybe I should have disconnected the coil before dousing the exposed plug wires with fuel? 

I was extremely lucky.  I quickly grabbed a large wool moving blanket and was able to smother out the fire, not before singeing my beard and eye lashes.  Luckily the fire only  burned the insulation on wires for the ignition coil, and oxygen sensor, which were easily repaired.

After taking a little breather, and pouring a glass of Blanton's bourbon; I explained to my wife my foolish ways.  Needless to say she was not impressed.

I decided to call it a day.  I'll troubleshoot the fuel issues at a later time.  My thought is the piston in the fuel distributor is stuck in the open position a bit, feeding the injectors.

Lessons learned.  I need to take my time, have a plan, and always have a fire extinguisher handy.  You would think that a firefighter like me would know this?  It's easy to become complacent.

More updates, without fire, to continue...

-Tim

IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3534.JPG

• timmer changed the title to Ummm.... So I took a chance. ***Now with Fire Content***