WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Full E30 Comfort interior

fnf01

21 hours ago, fnf01 said:

Complete comfort seat black interior out of an '89.  No rips or tears in seats.  All four door card out of a sedan.  One door car has a small V shaped cut and driver's pocket is cracked.  Have all seatbelts as well.  $500 for everything.  Send PM if interested

‎Eliott, Im not one to tell you how much you should list things, but $500 for comfort interior seems overpriced unless I am missing something. 

With that said, GLWS.

7 hours ago, Jdesign said:

‎Eliott, Im not one to tell you how much you should list things, but $500 for comfort interior seems overpriced unless I am missing something. 

With that said, GLWS.

No worries, that’s what  I’m seeing on national CL and EBay for just seats if not higher.  With all four door cards, handles switches and full set of seat belts I think it’s a fair deal especially for black.  Someone finds a better price by all means they are welcome to it.  I think this is more than fair and plus side doesn’t take up much shop space if I’m holding onto it.  

fnf01, like you said if you've got the shop space and are not tripping over stuff, then certainly ask what you want and hold out to see if a buyer comes along. 

Jdesign's point is just to help with reference pricing as you start dealing with folks. E30 sport seats alone tend to go for high prices these days and actually get the high price if they're in good shape. The $500 tan set on CL is surprisingly low.  Even trashed sport seats are pulling in a couple hundred or more. Sports in good shape are simply much harder to find than the comfort seats.

Those folks on EBay and CL listing comfort seats as if they were sport seats (hey, e30 seats are e30 seats right?) are unlikely to get the high ask. Black will be a bit of a plus for you. I think I sold my tan comfort seats that were in good shape for around $100-150 for the pair to someone who wanted to replace their torn up comfort seats. The e30 rear seats are typically not hard to find, unless they have a ski pass through. Most rear seats tend to be in good shape with little wear unless the owner had kids or a dog. 

The most worthwhile interior bits you've got are likely the door cards, and you may get requests for them alone.

Be careful with the seatbelt sale. I had an R3V buyer for a front belt who didn't know how to install them, I shipped, he argued that they didn''t work and demanded his money back.  The occasional joys of R3V.

GLWS! 

45 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

fnf01, like you said if you've got the shop space and are not tripping over stuff, then certainly ask what you want and hold out to see if a buyer comes along. 

Jdesign's point is just to help with reference pricing as you start dealing with folks. E30 sport seats alone tend to go for high prices these days and actually get the high price if they're in good shape. The $500 tan set on CL is surprisingly low.  Even trashed sport seats are pulling in a couple hundred or more. Sports in good shape are simply much harder to find than the comfort seats.

Those folks on EBay and CL listing comfort seats as if they were sport seats (hey, e30 seats are e30 seats right?) are unlikely to get the high ask. Black will be a bit of a plus for you. I think I sold my tan comfort seats that were in good shape for around $100-150 for the pair to someone who wanted to replace their torn up comfort seats. The e30 rear seats are typically not hard to find, unless they have a ski pass through. Most rear seats tend to be in good shape with little wear unless the owner had kids or a dog. 

The most worthwhile interior bits you've got are likely the door cards, and you may get requests for them alone.

Be careful with the seatbelt sale. I had an R3V buyer for a front belt who didn't know how to install them, I shipped, he argued that they didn''t work and demanded his money back.  The occasional joys of R3V.

GLWS! 

Thanks for taking time to respond.  I’ve seen the demand for sports and agree the tans local on CL are a fair deal for sports and I’ve seen them for much more.  A quick eBay search for e30 seats brings up 4 sets of just the comfort front seats for between $400-$500.

eBay prices are not "market" prices. yes, some things end up on eBay priced correctly, but most are grossly overpriced. referencing them for a sale will most likely result in funny looks.

i hate commenting on people's sale prices if I'm not personally interested, but, i agree with what has been said. be prepared to lower your expectations if these sit collecting dust.

i sold a near identical full interior last year, that included extras and was in better shape. it took me about 1 week, so I know the price was right under "market", which is where I aim to price items I sell because I want them out the door.

-------------------------

did you get the seat mechanism fixed? if not, here is how it works:

Pictured is the non-handle side seat mechanism. it is identical to the other side except for the handle extension.  when the handle is pulled up or down (red) it moves the  pawls  away from a toothed mechanism (green arrows) allowing the seat to tilt or recline. the clip (shadowed in blue) is rotated at the same time (blue arrows). that clip is keyed (yellow square) to the large bar running under the seat so it rotates the clip on the non-handle side (purple rotation arrow) imparting the same force on the pawls on that side.

if the non-handle side is not releasing, check the clip (shadowed in blue) on both sides for damage and check the mechanism on the non-handle side to see if it is frozen. soaking the mechanism in WD-40 will release it, unless its super rusty.

also to note - the mechanisms and clips are a hardened steel, which is strong, but breaks instead of bending, and no replacement parts are available. basically, if anything is cracked or broken, you'll need a new mechanism.

Seatrecline.jpg

Thanks for the picture would have saved me about an hour figuring out what was going on if I'd had that over the weekend.  Anyway the seat was bugging me being inoperable and selling like that so I've taken it completely apart down to the frame and discovered the frame is cracked just above the tube that goes through the seat.  I'll weld it back up straight or find a new seat bottom and make the seat whole and the set whole before I part with anything.  

So Mods can you please take this ad down.  I will not be selling a seat in this condition and don't want to deal with selling pieces at this point.

that's common. its a design flaw. see my post below from my thread.

On 11/13/2016 at 6:31 PM, straight6pwr said:

ahhh, jackpot. the seat bottom frame where the main pivot point of the mechanism is bolted is torn. not cracked, completely torn off.
g1sOfAM.jpg

so out of the 5 seats that i now have in my position, 3 (probably 4) are in the same state of broken. design flaw? i think so. at least I can save all the seat material which was in really good shape on all of these.

JzFWedb.jpg