WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

SCHLEPN | The E39 540itA Story

DrLeadFoot

Got the topside wired up, sport button and servtronic!

Need to pop in new style fuel pump relay. Have run a ground wire to it and move a pin on the 540i female side of connector and the new style relay will be good to go.

Pin 2 wires behind the cluster.  One to the DME for reverse lights and the other to the clutch switch.

Changed the trans fluid. Added oil. 10w60 liqui moly.

Need to top off coolant, power steering fluid and bleed brakes/clutch.

Getting close!!

20190513_230629.jpg

20190513_232225.jpg

Finished up the cruise control, clutch interlock and M5 fuel pump relay wiring.  Mike added a proper ground for the fuel relay. 

Pulled the fuel relay and cranked it over a couple times to prime the oil.  Popped the relay back in and fired it up on the first try!

Bled the clutch and brakes.  Brakes felt great until we hit the gas a spun the rear wheels then the pedal went to the floor.  We think it has something to do with the DSC pump not being bled properly. 

Started buttoning up the interior and finished the cabin filters and new M5 rear wire harness covers. 

So close to being done!!

20190518_141028.jpg

Just for ideas these are the phases we've gone through on my brother's 540i's.

Phase 1: Dinan Muffler (stock but gutted) sounded more or less stock. 

Phase 2: Cut off the Dinan Muffler. Sounded great, loud enough at idle but perfect for cruising. About 1/2 throttle it was just right and no drones at all. Just the cats and resonators

Phase 3: No resonators, straight pipes. Sounded like a tractor and it droned. Absurdly loud at WOT lol.

Phase 4: Full Super Sprint catback w/ resonator and muffler. Slightly louder than stock but not by much. Opens up a little more WOT.

Phase 5: trying to go back to phase 2. Either unbolting the muffler and replacing or gutting the cats. 

TLDR I'd recommend performance resonators somewhere. 3 Muffflers might be overkill. Electric cut outs would  enable best of both worlds too. 

Dude, you guys absolutely hammered through this. I love your evil laughter in the videos!! 😈🤣😈🤣😈🤣😈🤣😈🤣😈🤣

I vote high flow cats and dual resonators. If that's too loud then delete the resonators and run high flow mufflers. As long as the tips go out past the rear bumper and dont turn down, it wont be as loud in the cabin.

Chubs has built some nice exhaust set ups, im sure you will figure out the best option. 

Took it for a little test drive yesterday afternoon after bleeding the brakes again while activating the ABS/DSC pumps.  It stops!!

While on test drive I took the dirty girl through the car wash!  It feels good to see this outside!

Last night, we popped in the M5 fuel pump.  Had to swap over the 540i top to keep the barbed fitting as the M5 has a quick disconnect. 

Swapped the mirror motor pins on the driver's side so pin 1 has the blue wire and pin 2 has the white wire so both door modules matched pin locations.  This corrected the mirrors folding opposite ways when you hit the button. 

Bled the clutch again,  The feel is still not 100% but it drives.  

Felt it was time to add the fresh M badge on the motor! 

Counting down the days to the exhaust shop!

20190524_162524.jpg

20190524_162517.jpg

20190524_212558.jpg

20190524_163449.jpg

20190524_163406.jpg

20190524_231717.jpg

20190524_162531.jpg

On 5/22/2019 at 9:50 AM, Jdesign said:

Dude, you guys absolutely hammered through this. I love your evil laughter in the videos!! 😈🤣😈🤣😈🤣😈🤣😈🤣😈🤣

I vote high flow cats and dual resonators. If that's too loud then delete the resonators and run high flow mufflers. As long as the tips go out past the rear bumper and dont turn down, it wont be as loud in the cabin.

Chubs has built some nice exhaust set ups, im sure you will figure out the best option. 

Family road trip car so I want it pretty stealthy.  Excited to get a gameplan in place and get this DONE!

Did some coding to get the DSC light off and threw on the summer wheels!

Had to switch 2 sensitivity settings to S62B50 and the light went off!  Went from 10 to 13 on one and 3 to 2 on the other.

I still need to get the dsc/abs module to think it is a manual but that needs to be done through the IKE (cluster) but I already popped in the M5 cluster so the VINs don't match up.  Might need to pop in the 540i cluster to code it to manual then swap back to the M5 cluster. Need to look into this further. 

20190528_135636.jpg

20190528_140111.jpg

20190528_135713.jpg

20190528_135643.jpg

20190528_133054.jpg

• 2 weeks later...