WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Good time to sell?

jc43089

Looking for opinions, I am getting receipts and records together for selling my v70R.  An identical but automatic model sold on BAT for 12,250 in October.  It had 86k miles but hadn't even had the timing belt replaced.  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-volvo-v70-r-4/

Mine is a manual, it has 200k but just had an engine out mechanical restoration which included all new seals on the engine, transmission, and transfer case.  New timing belt, water pump, new flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder, shift cables, Haldex pump, etc, etc.  Nearly 4 grand in parts, all Genuine or OEM.  It uses no oil and runs flawlessly.  I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country.

My question is should I list it now or wait until after Christmas?  I know winter isn't the best but it is an AWD car so I feel like winter doesn't affect sale as much as say an M3.  I am planning on selling on BAT. 

Thoughts?

What are your expectations for a sale price?  That 86k mile model might have gone for $12,250 without some of those maintenance items but it's still an 86k mile vehicle that in pictures looks flawless and has spent it's life in California.  At a 10k foot view your still trying to sell a 200k mile car and that's how it will be priced.  I don't think you're going to get out of it what you've got into it.

20 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

What are your expectations for a sale price?  That 86k mile model might have gone for $12,250 without some of those maintenance items but it's still an 86k mile vehicle that in pictures looks flawless and has spent it's life in California.  At a 10k foot view your still trying to sell a 200k mile car and that's how it will be priced.  I don't think you're going to get out of it what you've got into it.

I don't expect to get that much, one that had minimal maintenance done with 195k, went for 6600.  It was an '04 which is missing several things that the 05-07 ones have and typically sell for less.  It had minimal maintenance done, but looked pretty good.  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-volvo-v70r-3/  I think somewhere around 8k I would be happy with.

25 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Wait till after. Everyone is tight for cash during the holidays to buy gifts for all their frans. Plus, like Dan said, everyone is too busy to shop for cars. 

This is kinda what I was thinking, it's taking up garage space right now, but otherwise isn't costing anything.  I would like to free up the cash as we aren't really driving it much but as people see tax time coming and feel like tax refunds are free money even though it was just a loan of your own money to the government all year they will be ready to spend.

Although people may just sit and play on their phones looking at cars instead of talking to their in-laws at Christmas...

Given what folks have said above if you NEED to sell it now you are in a relatively poor seller's position by listing it given the fewer potential buyers this time of year. Even with the hope for the elusive "the one", if you needed the car gone you would feel compelled take the first lowball offer you could live with, take the cash and drown your sorrows in cheaply spiked eggnog. 

But as you mentioned it's only taking up space and it's costing you nothing. List it for what you'd like and wait to see if "the one" is out there. Sit back, ignore the email lowballers and folks with stupid questions, and crack open a bottle of something upscale.

Also condsider if you list it now and it sits on the market for a few weeks, generally people think theres something wrong with it and might just scroll past it without even looking. I will take an ad down if it doesnt sell in the first two weeks. then I wait two weeks and relist the same car with new pictures and updated description. 90% of the time I get a serious buyer in the first day or two.