WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Volkswagen Help? - rear brake sticking

Ryan...

Question

I know i'm a traitor, but y'alls is the only friends I have....

My newly acquired 2010 VW Golf, (acquired via blood money in the form of my e30), has run into an issue with the rear passenger brake sticking occasionally, causing a very warm back end and smell of hot metal. A shop picked up the work for me, replacing the rear calipers, rotors, and pads. I drove the VW home, and found the issue persists. Its typically only noticeable after extended highway trips at 55+. Occasionally the car will nearly "hold" itself on smaller inclines, other times it seems to roll back as most manual vehicles do.

I brought it back the next day and they replaced the passenger rear brake hose. Leave the shop, issue is still there.

Bring it back to the shop, they disassemble the rear brakes and make sure everything is installed properly. They checked the parking brake and determined it looked OK. Drive it home, issue persists.

Now they're "guessing" it could be my brake booster or master cylinder, and have offered to replace those for the cheap sum of $1115 with no guarantee it will fix anything. 

Has anyone ever heard of a booster or master cylinder causing 1 specific wheel to drag occasionally?

7 answers to this question

Don't know VWs but with all that was replaced (esp the caliper and hose and assuming it was all bled correctly) I'd still look a bit closer at the parking brake on that side before shelling out $$$ for a booster or master. Is this model old school cable to the PB actuators or electronic? How did they check to make sure everything with the PB was OK?

4 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

Don't know VWs but with all that was replaced (esp the caliper and hose and assuming it was all bled correctly) I'd still look a bit closer at the parking brake on that side before shelling out $$$ for a booster or master. Is this model old school cable to the PB actuators or electronic? How did they check to make sure everything with the PB was OK?

It's old school cables, they basically just had someone pulling the lever, and other under the car to make sure the cables were moving properly and releasing/catching properly.

I guess you could disconnect the cable and try driving it to be sure. 

Re brakes and a vw golf checklist this might be useful 

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=433049

When it happens again I'd find a safe place to pull over, jack up the rear rotate the wheel to hear what it sounds like and pull the wheel and see for yourself if the pads are dragging or it's something else (rear wheel bearing?? Though I expect you'd hear this). Since you know that driving 55+ for a while does it, experiment this weekend.

9 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

I guess you could disconnect the cable and try driving it to be sure. 

Re brakes and a vw golf checklist this might be useful 

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=433049

When it happens again I'd find a safe place to pull over, jack up the rear rotate the wheel to hear what it sounds like and pull the wheel and see for yourself if the pads are dragging or it's something else (rear wheel bearing?? Though I expect you'd hear this). Since you know that driving 55+ for a while does it, experiment this weekend.

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try tomorrow or the day after as I'm on vacation for a bit here!

On 12/14/2018 at 9:50 AM, Jdesign said:

I would assume "Wheel bearing."

Are you proud of your purchase yet? 🙃

I can proudly say I have owned about 5 volkswagens, and have worked on A LOT more. They are not my favorite. 😉 

Lets us know what happens! 

I've listed it for sale lol

Lots of interest, seems to be priced right, now if I could just get someone to actually show up when they say they will that would be great...

I'll likely find myself in a GTI at some point, I actually enjoy this car quite a bit, but I'd rather have the money for 1) a ring and 2) house down payment so I can quit my second job..