WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Auto 328i Daily Build Log

basedspider

Well, hello again.

That 318is I had was very short lived I know, didn't last very long.

I've decided to take a break from projects for a while, so I needed a nice, reliable, no worries daily in a platform I really love. So, I got another E36 sedan.

20181123_142916.jpgreceived_2194848044105801.jpeg

And so, here it is. 1996 BMW 328i, auto. 102k miles *on the odometer* (we will get to that in a sec), rust free cali car thats never seen salt. PO acquired it in california a couple months ago. I currently work as a detailer full time so the plan is to keep it clean throughout the winter while its my daily so that it doesn't become a rust bucket haha. Black leather interior with wood trim is a plus. I got it for a good deal and don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

And thus, onto the bad.

The odometer says 102k miles, but when I ran the carfax back before I went and got it I noticed that the odometer had been rolled back from 73000 miles to 37000 miles back in 2008. Almost 40k miles of difference, so that's interesting and the $40 I spent on that car fax saved me a couple hundred getting the car. Otherwise, only things I really need to tend to is that it has a slight power steering like, a /horrid/ exhaust leak from somewhere in the midpipe, a burnt out taillight, and new front seats. The current ones are power and the drivers seat does not adjust.

Since I am taking a break from cars for a little while, I don't expect much to change in it from now until spring aftermarket wise. Need to get my finances and life in order before I start something else that I can't financially finish.

it's nice to see a rust free e36!  Are you sure the odo was rolled back?  Carfax isn't always 100% reliable as far as mileage reporting since they rely on the individual shops to report.  It could have been fat fingered at a shop and reported incorrectly.  Are there any other indications on the report that that's what happened?

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

it's nice to see a rust free e36!  Are you sure the odo was rolled back?  Carfax isn't always 100% reliable as far as mileage reporting since they rely on the individual shops to report.  It could have been fat fingered at a shop and reported incorrectly.  Are there any other indications on the report that that's what happened?

Yeah, if you look through the report the car was very well maintained, and the mileage slowly climbs up after it was rolled back. 100% sure