WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

An E36 Investigation

GunMetalGrey

• 4 weeks later...

Things have been amassing near this stationary object, but at least trim is not white?

IMG_20190325_182827

Got the intake stuff back on last night, with new hoses, boots, and a stock airbox. 
Mucho better. 

Connected the battery, and even though the low fuel light has been on since I bought it, it coughed right to life. 
Runs butter smooth!

Gotta get some fuel in it before trying to run it again though, cant imagine I'm doing the fuel system any favors. 

This has been new motivation to get it back on the ground and take it for a little drive to see how the rest feels! 

• 2 weeks later...
IMG_20190406_142012

Made it out! 
It runs well, drives pretty well, but the speedo, gas gauge, and mpg gauge don't work.
Other than that, not bad. 

It will not start once it has been started, will only crank after you shut it off. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it solves that issue, but is obviously annoying. 
Trying a new ECU just out of curiosity. 

Mike had some K1's that I tossed on for visuals.

IMG_20190408_183018

A bit more work and it will be time to sell

I have a question!

If this is a '94 325iS M-technic how come it has 96+ grills on it?  I personally think the pre-facelift grills looks better and will be period correct. :) Im not bashing you, just something I noticed and wanted to ask/ bring to your attention if you haven't noticed. 

The wheels look great, Its a shame the originals are so hard to find.

Your starting issue sounds like a bad relay.

28 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

I have a question!

If this is a '94 325iS M-technic how come it has 96+ grills on it?  I personally think the pre-facelift grills looks better and will be period correct. :) Im not bashing you, just something I noticed and wanted to ask/ bring to your attention if you haven't noticed. 

The wheels look great, Its a shame the originals are so hard to find.

Your starting issue sounds like a bad relay.

Thanks for the relay suggestion, hadn't considered that. 

I am both annoyed and glad that someone caught the grilles. 
I have ordered three sets of grilles, and none of them fit. The last set was ordered by VIN so when they didn't fit I got super confused. 
A bit of thinking and I realized that the nose piece has been replaced with a late model, therefore the correct grilles to the chassis do not fit. The car is also not in original paint so replacing the nose panel is not really an option at this point. 

Tempted to see if I can make a template and do a bit of metal cutting to make the proper grilles work in the late model nose piece. 

• 1 month later...